Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Anyone know anything about speed cameras ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2009, 04:47 PM
Wilky_Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know anything about speed cameras ?

Okay so I was on my way to work at 06:30 this morning down a 60 MPH dual carriageway. In the distance I see that the traffic lights are on green and pass through them at about 85 ish MPH. As I glance in my mirror I see the camera near the lights flash

This camera has been there for years and I always thought it was for detecting people who jump red lights ( you can see the sensors in the road ). It was clearly on green so can these cameras get speeders too ? I don't normally tonk it through lights but I was in a hurry to get to work ( no excuse I know !!!!!! ).

The camera was a Gatso, but smaller than the ones you see at the side of the road. Plus there were no road markings either ?

What do you think ? Am I going to get a ticket or am I seeing things ? Also, what would I get for 85 on a dual carriageway in a 60 zone ? 3 poinrs, 6 points or a ban ?
Old 30 May 2009, 06:20 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Speed Cameras Information

Originally Posted by LINK
Traffic Light Cameras
Gatsometer BV, manufacturer of the UK's Red Light Cameras, (named Gatso RLC 36) has been producing RLC's since 1966.

The RLC system is triggered by sensors or ground loops that are cut into road surface as a vehicle passes over them, while a red light is shown.

The Red Light Camera was originally used to measure red light offences. Nowadays the RLC can also be used in combination with speed measurement, similar to that of a Gatso Meter rear facing speed camera (radar type 24 technology) and can therefore also record the speed of the offending motorist as well. So you could end with a speeding offence as well as a traffic light offence, if you go through a red light camera!
Old 30 May 2009, 07:54 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

If the camera was coloured yellow it was a dual purpose red light and speed camera.
Old 30 May 2009, 09:30 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Did it flash twice??
If so then it was a speed camera also, if only once then it was just to get people who jump red lights
Old 30 May 2009, 10:25 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

i have been flashed before and recieved nothing, not trying to build your hopes up but sometimes you may just get away with it for a number of reasons. it could be there is a fault, film needs replacing or they just dont have film in!! the best advice i could give from experience is try not to worry about it and just wait and see. if you dont recieve anything in the post within the next 3-4 weeks then its likely you will not hear any more of it. also as for the penalty they may impose each offence is taken on its merits individually so there is nothing to say how it would be dealt at the speed you stated, but they do have guidelines. i am pretty sure they have to inform you of the prosecution (NIP-notice of intended prosecution) within 14 days of committing the offence, i think that is to say they have to SEND the letter out to you within 14 days of the offence. hope this helps.lee
Old 30 May 2009, 10:25 PM
Wilky_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobeenut
If the camera was coloured yellow it was a dual purpose red light and speed camera.
Yellow at the top with a grey post. Just been back to look at it and it was deffo a Gatso rather than one of the new style RedSpeed digital cameras. Hopefully the Gatso only work when the lights are on red and as there were no road markings painted I don't think it can be used for detecting speed !!

Fingers crossed though !!!! Cheers for your replies boys !!!!!!!!!!
Old 30 May 2009, 11:17 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Any member of the public can ring the central ticketing office just stating their registration number and they can tell you if there is a ticket on the way to you or not.