Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

anyone know the spec of jap import bug eyes??

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2009, 05:38 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone know the spec of jap import bug eyes??

seen a couple up for auction, 2002 bug eye models, sti and sti pro drive, whats the spec of these cars and how tunable are they, ie with exhaust and remap mods. should i go for one of these or my other choice which is a mint low mileage classic type r??? cheers.
Old 11 March 2009, 05:41 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I understand they are better than UK spec and usually still on engine size tax grouping I would have thought 340bhp is easily achieved. the prodrive style looks better and has high level spoiler as std. Engine will be stronger than UK car but I believe gearing is lower and mpg a little worse.
Old 11 March 2009, 05:46 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

cheers, does anyone have the link to the site that has the full specs of all the imprezas please, seen it before but cant remember where to find it.
Old 11 March 2009, 05:51 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bug Eyes; I believe that the gearing is only lower in 5&6th in the JDM cars. The Type R will have very low gearing - circa 20mph per 1000rpm in 5th - so 80mph on a motorway is 4k revs.

Late Type R's are remapable, early ones aren't, so a new ECU is needed.

I'd say the Type R is quicker off the mark, but is a real handful, especially in the wet.

Drive one of each and decide yourself which is for you.
Old 11 March 2009, 05:54 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

The JDM Prodrive Bugeyes have AFAIK the RA shell as they have a roof vent. Theres one on PH at the moment.
Old 11 March 2009, 07:20 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

I have a Bugeye STI JDM and yes it does have lower gearing and your mpg is worse due to the lower gearing.

Motorway driving i get 270 - 300 mile on a tank depending on your speed.
Day to day driving i get 210 - 240 mile on a tank.

It is well known that std JDM's are around the 320bhp. You get tinted rear and passenger windows, rear wash wipe, electric folding mirrors, auto intercooler water spray, Xenon head lights but only on main beam, coin tray in your dash next to you pull out cup holder and wind deflectors. if its a freash import you will need a radio signal exspander as your car radio will only pic up radio 2 due to jap frequency.

again if its a freash import i would get it remapped asap as they are not mapped for uk fuel. I would use only V-power with a octain booster such as NF till you get it remaped. I would advise you to do any mods before you get it mapped other wise your will be paying twise.

other things like converting it to mph from kph, fitting a rear fog light etc should be done by the importer.

All a prodrive JDM has i think is styling, Front bumper, side skirts and rear spoiler. but from what i know there is no performance pack due to jdm's all ready having 320bhp

MODDING
I would fit a full 3" turbo back decat exhaust, walbro fuel pump and green cotton air filter and you should get around the 340bhp.

hope this helps.

Last edited by TurboAndy; 11 March 2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11 March 2009, 08:45 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Turbo Andy has hit most of it there. Though instead of Xenon you should find gas discharge HID headlights (Xenon main beam) and also a manual I/C spray button.

Be warned to that JDM bug STIs actually had 3 trim levels of EL, GL and KL. Basically make sure it's got HIDs, rear tints and front LSD for the 'proper' STI.

Last edited by psigeek; 11 March 2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11 March 2009, 09:39 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

didnt know the JDM bugs were that powerful, a few mods plus remap & you could almost see 400bhp

wiley
Old 12 March 2009, 12:09 AM
Jay_
Scooby Regular

Pretty much as TurboAndy said, although 340 is probably max as they are VF30 turbos.

My JDM bug STI used to run a tad over 400 on standard engine with a 321H for a couple of years and never failed. The pistons (and possibly rods) are stronger than equivalent UK STI's. You also get slightly different heads, hence the 8k redline as opposed to the lower redline on UK.

I would say you have a much better base for modding than a classic, although depends ultimately what sort of power you're looking to attain. 6 speed gearbox will be far stronger than any standard classic box.
Old 12 March 2009, 12:16 AM
fmp
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by psigeek
Turbo Andy has hit most of it there. Though instead of Xenon you should find gas discharge HID headlights (Xenon main beam) and also a manual I/C spray button.

Be warned to that JDM bug STIs actually had 3 trim levels of EL, GL and KL. Basically make sure it's got HIDs, rear tints and front LSD for the 'proper' STI.
interesting. any way of telling what trim level the car has? from the chassis code or anything? As thats the first time i have ever heard it mentioned.

As i have a JDM STI Bugeye, that doesnt have tints or HID lights (i dont think), so would be interested to know if i have a front LSD!
Old 12 March 2009, 01:07 AM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fmp
interesting. any way of telling what trim level the car has? from the chassis code or anything? As thats the first time i have ever heard it mentioned.

As i have a JDM STI Bugeye, that doesnt have tints or HID lights (i dont think), so would be interested to know if i have a front LSD!
The trim levels go:
KL (no front diff)
EL (front diff, no HIDs, no tints)
GL (front diff, HIDs, tints)

I would suspect you have EL in that case. PM me your chassis number if you like. The UK STI looks to have begin life in EL status.

I also believe that's right above about the JDM Prodrive. Styling mods only (bumper, fog covers, grille, spoiler, etc).
Old 12 March 2009, 01:11 AM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by psigeek

And by proper I just mean one they have left some good bits off of.
Old 12 March 2009, 02:54 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

well im keeping my eye on bonsaicars for the right car, almost went for a white 2002 sti, looked mint, was non prodrive so smaller rear spoiler and no roof vent, think the newer bugeye is the way forward, had 2 classics want something a bit newer/different from the rest, dont see many bugeyes around.