Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Swapping from classic to blob eye. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2009, 11:08 PM
timtheninja
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping from classic to blob eye. Any advice?

Evening all

I'm currently looking into selling my classic sti for a later blob eye estate!

Due to having problems fitting the pram and shopping in at the same time I want something a little more old man ish!

I have been looking at some blob eye's that are around £5k

I would like it to be as quick as mine. I don't know anyone who has owned a blob eye. Are they quick? Do they drive well?

Any advice is appreciated. Anyone wanting to go old school is welcome to swap!

Can anyone tell me what they think mine would be worth?

Its a 1996, face lifted, except bumper. Crystal lights at front. Silver in colour. Side skirts and front splitter, with those rubber skirt and bumper guards. Its done about 90k miles (less because it had 45k kilometres when it came into the country) So more like 75k miles. 17" lightweight magnesium OZ wheels with nearly new toyo proxes!

Engine is standard. 3.5 inch straight through stainless exhaust. Air filter, re circulating dump valve, new exedy organic clutch, new race bearings in the gear box. Had it re built when the clutch was done, also all the other bearings were done!. Short first to fourth gears (type ra gears) and standard 5th sti gear. Makes it nicer on the motorway.

I spent £2500 on it last year, as I didn't expect to be selling it! Doh! Having a baby has changed things slightly. You need so much more stuff!

Anyhow. I appreciate any advice. Sorry to go on!

Cheers Tim
Old 28 January 2009, 08:30 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Best advice is to test drive one for at least a day and make your own mind up, but I think you will be dissappointed to say the least.

We tried a blob WRX last year and found it to be more refined and possibly better built but the extra weight on the same power (less in your case) made it feel ponderous and slow. Sold it within 3 months and went back to the classic. Not the only member to have this experience. Actually it was bloody boring to drive, had more fun in the bosses Mundaneo. Never driven a blob STI, told these are better but out of your/my budget.

Many threads on the topic, usually drawing a similar conclusion.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...b-hawkeye.html

This one got a bit heated, but I am now officially a grumpy old man (with a very grumpy old woman )

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ou-prefer.html

Like I said, try one for yourself, but don't sell your classic for at least three months to make sure. Remember there are a few classic STI wagons out there as well. Take your time and good luck bargain hunting.

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 28 January 2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 28 January 2009, 08:39 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I went from a Classic Wagon 00MY to a MY03 Blob with PPP. I wanted the 3x3point seatbelts for my 3 kids. With the PPP, performance was about the same. The Blob felt far more planted as standard. The bodyshell is 200% stiffer than the Classic, I remember reading when the Bug was released. In a nutshell it feels grown up. As already said, try both.
Old 28 January 2009, 08:43 PM
eureka
Scooby Regular

dont do it mate imho
i have both and much prefer the classic to my blob
Old 28 January 2009, 08:44 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Yep, a PPP might make the difference, not driven one so wouldn't know.

What would be the price (and insurance) premium for the PPP?

Found the blob a nice car, just not my bag.
Old 28 January 2009, 08:51 PM
Rookstar
Scooby Newbie

i went from a 2001 classic to a 2004 wrx with ppp, think they are both awesome cars to be honest as far as performance goes, only thing i thought let the classic down was the dash looks abit dated now plus didn't have aircon, interior on the blob eye is alot nicer.
Old 28 January 2009, 08:53 PM
Chris.B
Scooby Regular

Just get an STI V5 wagon.

Old 28 January 2009, 08:58 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

I went from Classic to Bugeye,i know its not a blob but its a newage car. The bug was a great car nice to drive and comfortable on journeys but it just lacked what i was looking for so sold it and bought another classic.

At the end of the day its really down to what you want the car for. If its the modern looks and and better refinement then id say go for it.
Old 28 January 2009, 09:03 PM
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eureka
dont do it mate imho
i have both and much prefer the classic to my blob
i 2nd that......dont do it
Old 28 January 2009, 09:19 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I've got a '93 WRX with 325 bhp and an '05 Wagon with PPP (265 bhp).

As you'd expect, the difference between the 2 in performance terms is night and day. Though the wagon is no slouch, a much nicer place to be and probably better suited to my age (32) Basically a much better car to live with day to day.

I expect you would hate the standard WRX, but the PPP version might just be enough to take the sting out of losing the Sti. Test drive one and find out....

Someone said that a mondeo is more exciting to drive, but believe me it isn't. I got rid of one for the wagon!

My insurance on the wagon is £500 ish with 3 years no claims bonus, clean licence and no previous claims. The '93 is insured using my other policy that has all the NCB.
Old 28 January 2009, 09:27 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rossyboy
I've got a '93 WRX with 325 bhp and an '05 Wagon with PPP (265 bhp).

As you'd expect, the difference between the 2 in performance terms is night and day. Though the wagon is no slouch, a much nicer place to be and probably better suited to my age (32) Basically a much better car to live with day to day.

I expect you would hate the standard WRX, but the PPP version might just be enough to take the sting out of losing the Sti. Test drive one and find out....

Someone said that a mondeo is more exciting to drive, but believe me it isn't. I got rid of one for the wagon!

My insurance on the wagon is £500 ish with 3 years no claims bonus, clean licence and no previous claims. The '93 is insured using my other policy that has all the NCB.
You say that as if your an old man
Old 28 January 2009, 09:30 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I went the other way. From MY03 STI with 340bhp to a standard RB5.
The difference in performance was laughable so the RB5 had to be modded of course..
You will miss the fun and character of the classic and as said plenty of times before the newage is quite refined and boring, imo. If you don't mind spending a grand or so on the blobeye then it could be made into a bit of a sleeper.
And as far as the age thing..............I'm 37 but and better suited to the classic.
Old 28 January 2009, 09:39 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

I have a MY03 WRX wagon which I have had from new - always loved it and still do. My wife drives it now as her main car as I bought a MY98 Classic saloon last year and thanks to JGM and some modifications, it's running a lot more power than when I bought it.

There is no comparing the Classic to the WRX. The Classic is much more fun to drive being much quicker, firmer and I think more precise. If I still had young children, I would take them out in the WRX. Now they are old enough to drive themselves, the Classic is the first choice.

It's "horses for courses" for me. I guess one day I will trade in the WRX - the Classic and I will get old toegther
Old 28 January 2009, 11:23 PM
timtheninja
Scooby Newbie

Good points made by everyone thank you. The link to other people asking the same question raised some amusing remarks!

Last year I drove a bug eye that belonged to one of my customers and wasn't too impressed with the performance. It seemed to have a lot of lag, didn't pin you back like mine and felt a bit soft handling wise.

I drove a friends evo 5 and that was very impressive. He's spent over 8k on the engine (no surprise it was quick). I haven't got silly money like that and still prefer the impreza sound and looks! Plus evo running costs are daft! Anyhow, I have seen some ppp blob eyes for sale but not really known the significance. I take it the ppp is much improved on standard? Also someone mentioned about 1k spent on a bug eye would make it a sleeper.

What would you get for 1k that would make that much difference? I spent over 1k on my gearbox. 1 race bearing was £150 plus the dreaded (it was from scooby clinic though!) And it was just maintenance rather than speed related!

Just wish I could keep it AND buy a blob!
Old 29 January 2009, 12:25 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

IIRC PPP takes the UK blob WRX from 220 to 260ish bhp and the blob STI from 260 to 300bhp. Someone correct me as I am no expert.
Old 29 January 2009, 10:25 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
You say that as if your an old man
Well lets be honest, very loud classics with dump valves are now generally driven by those who like to drive around town at night, play loud music and prefer to have something covering their heads. Not 30 something Finance Managers who are generally in bed at 10pm
Old 29 January 2009, 10:34 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timtheninja
Also someone mentioned about 1k spent on a bug eye would make it a sleeper.

What would you get for 1k that would make that much difference?
Full stainless steel decat exhaust sytem, £300
Uprated fuel pump [walbro 255] £70
Ecutek remap, £500

The above mods would give around 280 bhp and 270 torque

Add a different turbo like VF35 off the STI, £250-£300 [used] and it should be good for around 320 bhp.hth
Old 30 January 2009, 12:22 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

OK...

Don't dismiss the bugeye just because it looks like a Granada/Scorpio/******* son of a Toyota Corolla.

The estate versions are actually quite subdued. but seem to gel quite well. Bored of the lights, then de-chrome the surrounds apart from the reflectors.

Decat or Sportscat it. Delete any other spurious cats lying around. Fit an Andy F TD04 hybrid and get a remap.

J.