Floods

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2001, 05:13 PM
Fiasco
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi. (I'm new to this game)

Could anyone tell me of their experiences with their cars in the recent floods?

Are Scubies OK through puddles? ... if so how deep.
Old 23 January 2001, 05:22 PM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Fiasco

Floods = STAY AWAY!!

Went through a nasty (deeper than I thought!!) flood on A31 in Oct - cars were conked out here and there - threaded my way through the mess only to get out the other side and find that:

a) Clutch pedal was 1 inch from the floor
b) As a consequence, clutch slipped under any firm acceleration

Was able to release the pedal (don't know why it had got stuck) but it made me think about hot metal into cold water ...... can't be good.

No lasting damage but I won't try it again. Also, it screwed up my alarm (I think it drowned!) and my headlights now have condensation on the inside of the lenses hence even worse lights. (Can they be wiped out? - haven't tried yet)

I came out the other side feeling very stupid for having tried it and had I conked out in the middle like so many others, I would have been v.annoyed (with myself)

Find an alternative route!

Old 23 January 2001, 07:16 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I drove through water a few inches deep during the November(?) floods in Midhurst (West Sussex?) with no problems. However, i did take it easy - keep up the revs to ensure that water doesn't get sucked up the exhaust, avoid other car's bow-waves (especially inconsiderate off-roader types), but create a small one of your own etc. As for puddles - a Scoobie laps 'em up, but only so far so don't be silly!!

My biggest worry was what would happen if a red-hot turbo was to suddenly get "quenched" in freezing cold water - anyone know what might happen?

mb
Old 23 January 2001, 08:04 PM
Fiasco
Scooby Regular

Gussie Cup

Thanks for the info, sorry about your car.
I'll take your proffered advice.
Cheers.
Fiasco.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Gussie Cup:
<B>Fiasco

Floods = STAY AWAY!!

Went through a nasty (deeper than I thought!!) flood on A31 in Oct - cars were conked out here and there - threaded my way through the mess only to get out the other side and find that:

a) Clutch pedal was 1 inch from the floor
b) As a consequence, clutch slipped under any firm acceleration

Was able to release the pedal (don't know why it had got stuck) but it made me think about hot metal into cold water ...... can't be good.

No lasting damage but I won't try it again. Also, it screwed up my alarm (I think it drowned!) and my headlights now have condensation on the inside of the lenses hence even worse lights. (Can they be wiped out? - haven't tried yet)

I came out the other side feeling very stupid for having tried it and had I conked out in the middle like so many others, I would have been v.annoyed (with myself)

Find an alternative route!

[/quote]