Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Can Police prosecute for speeding without photographic / radar evidence?

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2008, 12:45 PM
330dan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Police prosecute for speeding without photographic / radar evidence?

I saw police chase after a scooby yesterday and pull him over. I had been next to the parked police car when it turned on its lights and chased after him.

The policeman did not have a radar gun or anything, was just watching the traffic.

Would the Police be able to prosecute you for speeding if they saw you clearly speeding but had no photographic / radar and photo evidence???

Do they try to trick you into confessing? "You were going a bit fast then weren't you?" sort of thing???
Old 24 August 2008, 12:56 PM
SqeekyMclean
Scooby Regular

You still driving the BMW?
Old 24 August 2008, 12:58 PM
330dan
Scooby Regular

Yeah - prices are dropping that much i thought id wait and save some money so i dont have to stick it all on finance. Hopefully get myself sorted in the new year. why?
Old 24 August 2008, 01:39 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

Yes and no.... If they follow you over a set distance at a speed x, they can put in witness statements saying... "day, date, time, place, I followed.... travelling at x mph over a distance of as shown on my calibrated speedo.... etc. etc."

Usually it'd be traffic officers but they'd want to stop te vehicle and either give words of advice or see what other offences were being committed etc... (insurance, ,no driving license etc etc...)

So in answer... yes.... but usually wouldn't bother.
Old 24 August 2008, 02:02 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 330dan
I saw police chase after a scooby yesterday and pull him over. I had been next to the parked police car when it turned on its lights and chased after him.

The policeman did not have a radar gun or anything, was just watching the traffic.

Would the Police be able to prosecute you for speeding if they saw you clearly speeding but had no photographic / radar and photo evidence???

Do they try to trick you into confessing? "You were going a bit fast then weren't you?" sort of thing???
if theres two of them there professional opinion counts, if theres one of em its very hard to prove,,,,, but all the police are trained to ask leading questions

ive had a time when i was done for the same, seen the police van overtake a few cars in my mirror so i slowed, asked me to pull over and tried to intimidate me when he aproached, used the " do you think its apropriate to be doing speeds in excess of 60mph in a 30" line

then when i denyed it he asked if i would rather go to court against hes calibrated speedo as evidence or would i rather a fixed penalty now

i then told him i work at fords and service these vans,,,, NONE of em are calibrated as they are ford sensors doing the speedo in the gearbox that over read anyway

he tried to threaten to arrest me too the tosser

in the end he let me go cause i would admit to it

so heres the moral of the story

NEVER CONFESS TO ANYTHING !!!, as soon as you do they dont need ANY evidence !
Old 24 August 2008, 02:47 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I totally agree with what Ginge says!

I went through a junction near where I stay very quickly. There was a traffic car coming the other way in oncoming lane which I didnt see till i was passing it. I kept the foot planted and parked up in a housing estate in the nearest small town. Needless to say, 10 mins later a traffic car pulled up behind me . He asked people that had been out in their gardens etc if they had seen my car.

Anyway he told me to get out of the car and immediatly said "you either own up, or you go to jail". So that came across to me as if I had to agree with his version of events. Plus the fact that I was sh*tting it after being caught...I just agree'd to everything he said. Should also mention that that was complete bullsh*t, as i would never have went anywhere near a jail for that...but he knew I was crapping myself.

Really though, he didnt have a shred of evidence: no witnesses, no video footage, only his opinion that I was driving dangerously when passing him...and he was on his own! He ended up charging me with dangerous driving because I confessed. I can only hope now that the procurator has dropped it...or that he was trying to scare me, because that was about six months ago, and most people in this area done for similar offences recieve their letters straight away.

So as Ginge says, NEVER confess to anything at the road side. Even if you know you were speeding and the odds are against you. It wont do you any good anyway. The only point where it makes a difference admitting guilt is in court.

I also know a guy that passed the police on the motorway at 140+ in an evo 8. They were in an unmarked car. There were two of them this time, and after catching up with him(it took them until he came off the motorway and entered a town, as he didnt have a clue he was being persued ) they spotted him trying to get it sideways on a roundabout! So after all that you would think he was doomed - Nope, the camera they had had stopped working, and they had to let him go. He was smarter than me and didnt say a thing.
Old 24 August 2008, 03:03 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

They can do as the pls as they are above the Law after all

TX.
Old 24 August 2008, 04:02 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

ps: i also ;earned the hard way ill just add

i was once pulled adn the copper said " dont worry son just routine"

i said " ah good, thought it was cause i forgot to stick on me seat belt"

checked car over, insurance and even asked to search the car, pop the bonnet,,,, as i had nothing to hide i agreed( stupid too as they cant search a car without a warrant OR reason to belive GENUINLY there is something in there,,, which means the has to be ! )

anyway i was all clear,,,, THEN the **** tells me my rights,,,,, and hes doing me FOR CONFESSING TO NOT WEARING A SEAT BELT,,,,, YES I CONFESSED TO IT !!!

got a 30 quid fine and will only answer the old bill minor questions now when asked !
Old 24 August 2008, 05:54 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

yer just deny everything, they need evidence, we all moan about human rights and big brother, however it can work to your advantage when caught speeding etc.