ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Section 59 Offence

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2008, 10:10 AM
Dinger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Section 59 Offence

The previous owner of my recently purchased Subaru was given a section 59 by a special constable for overtaking causing annoyance and distress to other road users. Its one of the reasons he sold it to me as he felt he was starting to drive to the cars limits and potentially risking his own life. He's 60yrs old had the scooby for 6 years and finally decided his sports car days were over. He wants to live out his days pottering around in a sensible family saloon.
Having brought the car I've heard that a section 59 stays with the vehicle and potentially if I ever got a section 59 the car could be seized and crushed.
Now don't get me wrong I'm not the kind of driver thats ever likely to be driving in a manner to get a Section 59 but is it really possible that a previous offense in a vehicle could be taken into consideration with a new owner?
Old 20 August 2008, 10:12 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

i would "imagine" it would stay with the person who got it to begin with
Old 20 August 2008, 10:17 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

as above its with the person not the car.
Old 20 August 2008, 10:21 AM
bish667
Scooby Regular

What offense is a 'section 59'?
Old 20 August 2008, 10:44 AM
Dinger
Scooby Regular

It just seems to be one of those offense's that can be handed out if you upset a special constable or police officer.

'Vehicles used in manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance'

I think it was originally introduced to combat drivers doing do-nuts or similar on the highway also used against the little motorbikes or petrol scooters etc.
Old 20 August 2008, 10:50 AM
old bob
Scooby Regular

my old mans a copper and ive had one of these, its on the car AND driver!!!! number 2 could get the driver in a different car, or a different driver in the car, after 3 in 12 months the vehicle will be seized, but there only valid for 12 months, ive had 1 and its now expired!
Old 20 August 2008, 10:51 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bish667
What offense is a 'section 59'?
Policemans opinion basically
If he or she ,in their opinion,don't like the style of your driving this is a year long warning (mine runs out soon and i was driving like a prat so deserved it and got stopped by armed police which was nice ).

If found to be driving like a prat within that year they will impound your car and charge you for storage costs.
If found drivng like a prat for a 3rd time then i think they will take away your car permanently.
although this may vary from force to force

Green Lane Association Ltd. - Section 59 Vehicle Seizures

http://www.glass-uk.org/index2.php?o...o_pdf=1&id=267
Old 20 August 2008, 10:55 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by old bob
my old mans a copper and ive had one of these, its on the car AND driver!!!! number 2 could get the driver in a different car, or a different driver in the car, after 3 in 12 months the vehicle will be seized, but there only valid for 12 months, ive had 1 and its now expired!
so if you get another one now that yours has expired i guess that means you start from scratch and have the bit of paper given to you again or do they check to see if you have previous?
Old 20 August 2008, 11:03 AM
old bob
Scooby Regular

they can probably see that one has been issued in the past, just like any offence, but it will not be valid after 12 months so you just start again!! they get handed out like leaflets in some places, i got mine in brighton for allegedly racin 2 hours before they pulled up when i was parked on the coast, when he had to ask me wot my reg was i said you should know you just found me, he said he didnt know it, i said if you dont know my reg how do you prove it was me, he said he didnt need to! called him a fookin coot and ended up in cuffs!!
Old 20 August 2008, 11:33 AM
Dinger
Scooby Regular

The one my friend got was in Shoreham on the outskirts of Brighton. He overtook a off duty special constable and pee'd her off by all accounts. Then she followed him home, knocked on his door and told him she was coming back to issue the section 59 (she was off duty at the time) called on him a couple of days later and issued it. By then she'd cooled off and so had he so he didn't argue.

Well if it only lasts a year and its 3 and out I feel a lot happier. Like I said I don't drive in a manner that could or should cause offense.

Cheers for the info Old Bob
Old 20 August 2008, 12:31 PM
White ST
Scooby Regular

i had one handed to me for watching afew lads drifting... the best bit is i had just deliverd some goods and was having my break but they old bill told me i was encouraging them by watching!!!!!! also got told that if i got another within 12mnths the vehicle i was driving would be takern off me?