ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Considering selling up

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2008, 09:46 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering selling up

Wel I've had the STI for 2 years and it is a cracking motor. Very quick and reliable but considering selling up.

I am one of these paranoid owners who can't leave the car parked for any length of time on public car parks, for fear of it being nicked or damaged.
Due to the colour I always like it clean, so I am constantly looking at the car and scowling at it when it's dirty, therefore it's always sparkling.
The car is almost like a mobile ornament and I think I need something a little more raw and requires less attention as I'm getting a little tired of the this high maintenance ownership.

I am thinking of swapping it for an earlier classic, perhaps an import, that I won't be too woried about getting knocked in a supermarket carpark, that is still quick and fun.

I know little about early Subarus especially imports and feel a little uneasy about the change. I know my car inside out and I bought it knowing it was totally straight but I will be a sitting duck with a £5k import.

What do you think......good move.......bad move........any opinions welcome.
Old 08 March 2008, 09:57 PM
stineal
Scooby Regular

yeh sell up mate but sell me your alloys first, go on you know you want to
Old 08 March 2008, 09:58 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
Wel I've had the STI for 2 years and it is a cracking motor. Very quick and reliable but considering selling up.

I am one of these paranoid owners who can't leave the car parked for any length of time on public car parks, for fear of it being nicked or damaged.
Due to the colour I always like it clean, so I am constantly looking at the car and scowling at it when it's dirty, therefore it's always sparkling.
The car is almost like a mobile ornament and I think I need something a little more raw and requires less attention as I'm getting a little tired of the this high maintenance ownership.

I am thinking of swapping it for an earlier classic, perhaps an import, that I won't be too woried about getting knocked in a supermarket carpark, that is still quick and fun.

I know little about early Subarus especially imports and feel a little uneasy about the change. I know my car inside out and I bought it knowing it was totally straight but I will be a sitting duck with a £5k import.

I think you will be protective about your motor what ever you have.
I am the same (although I already have the older classic and theft is very low here in France) I always park at the back of supermarkets much to the misses disgust hate to leave her anywhere near a town centre always cleaning etc etc

I also have an R6 which I don’t leave anywhere for more than 30 seconds without keeping an eye on it.
Unfortunately there are too many scumbags about

I have never had a car/bike pinched and never had any major damage caused in car parks etc so I may be over the top but think it’s worth it
Old 08 March 2008, 09:59 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

thats a nice looking blobeye ,id keep her you will only regret it and have you thought maybe you just like to be in it driving and the paranoia is just an excuse to get back in it .
im the same when i go shopping with my lass and children i like to hurry up so im back with my pride and joy
Old 08 March 2008, 10:07 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

I might be selling mine soon which will fit the bill for you mate..

Have a look at 'View my scooby'

Was imported in 98 and has loads of history etc etc etc Full MOT..TAX..looking for 5K,
Old 08 March 2008, 10:10 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AlanPPP
I might be selling mine soon which will fit the bill for you mate..

Have a look at 'View my scooby'

Was imported in 98 and has loads of history etc etc etc Full MOT..TAX..looking for 5K,
Any chance of respraying it first?
Old 08 March 2008, 10:11 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That fact that youre **** about cleaning it and taking care of it is part of you fella.
Im willing to bet you'll be the same no matter what car it is. Thats part of you... not just the car IMO.

By no means a bad thing,im just the same, all im saying is that if you chop the car in, the worries wont go away lol
Old 08 March 2008, 11:20 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frayz
That fact that youre **** about cleaning it and taking care of it is part of you fella.
Im willing to bet you'll be the same no matter what car it is. Thats part of you... not just the car IMO.

By no means a bad thing,im just the same, all im saying is that if you chop the car in, the worries wont go away lol
Probably right although I wouldn't worry quite so much..............would I ?
Old 08 March 2008, 11:57 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Bob, because i'm such a nice guy i will swap you my 1.1 L reg 5 door fiesta for your scoob if you like. It looks like s**t and goes like s**t. It even has 22 days tax and about a months MOT. What more could you ask for? No more worrying!

Andy.
Old 09 March 2008, 12:06 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a V2/V3 STi RA. quite a few always up for sale mostly in white (there you go, opposite end of the spectrum lol). Get one of the closed deck one's and they are solid, keep it standard or near enough and I can't see it being too much of a bother for.

Only downside is the insane gearbox and DCCD (manual so its love/hate the DCCD gearbox, WRX RA would get you the RA without the DCCD) however the close ratio's while great in town and on b roads would drive you mad on a motorway as you can't really cruise at highspeed (I do about 150 on the clock at near enough 7.5k rpm).

A standard STi v2/v3 would be a good alternative, a few grand on it and it would be a good mule car to drive around without worrying about it. Other option would be to move away from scoobies
Old 09 March 2008, 10:32 AM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rbaz
I think you will be protective about your motor what ever you have.
I am the same (although I already have the older classic and theft is very low here in France) I always park at the back of supermarkets much to the misses disgust hate to leave her anywhere near a town centre always cleaning etc etc

I also have an R6 which I don’t leave anywhere for more than 30 seconds without keeping an eye on it.
Unfortunately there are too many scumbags about

I have never had a car/bike pinched and never had any major damage caused in car parks etc so I may be over the top but think it’s worth it
Hi I live in France; Loire Valley for the past 5 years. The biggest problem I find here is people tend to ding your door a lot in car parks (Saxo has loads), but as for car theft I never heard of anything around where I live. I can the leave the STI etc anywhere without any securtiy devices on it and not worry about it. Just make sure I park miles away from anybody else. Allways take up two parking spaces

When I lived in the UK I sold my CTR as i was sick of people having a go at it.
Old 09 March 2008, 11:23 AM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

I seriously considered getting rid of mine before christmas. I told myself I'd give it 2 months and if I still wanted to get rid I'd know it wasn't just a fad and I was serious.

Give your self a couple of months to think about it, you will change your mind and keep it... as I did
Old 09 March 2008, 11:24 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy_s37
Bob, because i'm such a nice guy i will swap you my 1.1 L reg 5 door fiesta for your scoob if you like. It looks like s**t and goes like s**t. It even has 22 days tax and about a months MOT. What more could you ask for? No more worrying!

Andy.
An offer you surely can't refuse

Originally Posted by frayz

Yep, you will be just the same whatever car you own.

Look here at all the effort people put into their Scoobs.

And read this one COB Claying his 99 Classic.

Guess what I went and bought from Halfords yesterday?....Meguires Smooth Surface Claying Kit and mines a 95 JDM. COB this is all your fault...
Old 09 March 2008, 09:26 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Any chance of respraying it first?
What i meant was...

Yours is perfect paintwork wise were as mine is half decent and has the odd little ding but is still black and you won't be so worryed about leaving it anywere it it getting dmamaged 'as much'??

I dunno i just rekon you love black
Old 09 March 2008, 09:58 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
Get yourself a V2/V3 STi RA. quite a few always up for sale mostly in white (there you go, opposite end of the spectrum lol). Get one of the closed deck one's and they are solid, keep it standard or near enough and I can't see it being too much of a bother for.

Only downside is the insane gearbox and DCCD (manual so its love/hate the DCCD gearbox, WRX RA would get you the RA without the DCCD) however the close ratio's while great in town and on b roads would drive you mad on a motorway as you can't really cruise at highspeed (I do about 150 on the clock at near enough 7.5k rpm).

A standard STi v2/v3 would be a good alternative, a few grand on it and it would be a good mule car to drive around without worrying about it. Other option would be to move away from scoobies
Sounds good but a couple of questions.
What is a closed deck. Do they all need remapping and 150 what?
Old 09 March 2008, 10:21 PM
gsi jon
Scooby Newbie

I wouldnt sell her! could get another cheap run about or just accept you pay insurnace for a reason.

how long u owned her - u been alright up until now