ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Am i gonna lose my licence?

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2008, 03:55 PM
rickon
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i gonna lose my licence?

I was coming back from a mates on the *** on Saturday morning (70mph limit), I was coming over the brow of a hill doing about 75, and as coming down the hill my speed probably picked up to 77, which i slowed down - just as i noticed the dreaded white volvo hidden behind a sign on a slip road with a camera pointed up the road.

I was being overtaken at the time, and all the cars around me were going faster than i was.

The camera had a decent lens on it, a big black round thing, sat inside the car with the cop behind it. I didn't see any radar gun thing, just a big round lens, probably 8 inches across.

What are the chances I'll get points? I've only been driving for 1 year 1/2, and have 3 points for a really stupid minor offence, but living in North Wales you get screwed for nothing (I went over double white lines with my two right side wheels), so i'll lose my licence if i get points.

Anyone know what type of camera it could be? Or if indeed it's a speeding camera? or one for catching criminals without insurance etc?

Ergh.... It's really annoying cause i don't ever speed, I'm always on top of it, just had a lapse of concentration for that moment regarding my speed.
Old 04 March 2008, 03:59 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I wouldn't worry, as even its a proper speed camera they will give you a minimum of 10%.

Also, if your speedo was showing 77 you were probably actually only doing about 71/72, hence well under 70+10% i.e. 77mph.
Old 04 March 2008, 04:00 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

if your dash was reading 77 then you'll have been doing nearer 71-72 anyway, if cars around you were doing more then i wouldn't worry, guess it was one to check then chase ratehr than a picture taker as it were
Old 04 March 2008, 04:18 PM
rickon
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Tidgy
guess it was one to check then chase ratehr than a picture taker as it were
Why do you think this?
Old 04 March 2008, 04:50 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

Did it flash! if not theres no problem, surley??
Old 04 March 2008, 04:52 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

14 days to wait to be sure you're clear.
Old 04 March 2008, 04:53 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RUDDY

Since when did all speed cameras need to flash you ?
Old 04 March 2008, 04:54 PM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

May have been looking for Tax dodgers,some Cameras reads plates and sends out a fine if not taxed......................
Old 04 March 2008, 04:54 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by RUDDY
If its laser then it wont flash. But the fact it was a car instead of a van would lead me to think that it was a traffic cop and would of pursued anybody going vastly over the limit.
Old 04 March 2008, 04:57 PM
scoobiesnax
Scooby Newbie

The 14 days ruling for notification doesn't apply anymore I'm told. they now have 2 months to notify you!
Old 04 March 2008, 05:00 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

the question marks indicate i wasnt sure! a cocky tit like you should have picked that up WWSD!
Old 04 March 2008, 05:05 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobiesnax
The 14 days ruling for notification doesn't apply anymore I'm told. they now have 2 months to notify you!
The person who told you was talking rubbish, read the road traffic offenders act (RTOA 1988)
Old 04 March 2008, 05:10 PM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

Speed Camera Locations UK Database, Gatso, Truvelo, SPECS, Mobile speed cameras

Lists most if not all of the sites in the uk.
Old 04 March 2008, 05:16 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by rickon
Why do you think this?
picture cams can't be held, they must be on a level, even and secure surface, if your holding it your hand may move giving a dodgy reading.

thats my understanding of it anyway
Old 04 March 2008, 05:17 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the type which checks for road tax and insurance. Humberside police have that kind of camera set up in a blob Sti looking out through back window and through the spoiler! I wouldn't worry anyway so long as you weren't caning it.
Old 04 March 2008, 05:33 PM
WRX-DAN
Scooby Regular

i got a ticket after 2 months of the speeding, but i got it on the day i bought a car driving it home, took them ages to send it as the details on the car where changed into my name. so it can come in after 2 weeks
Old 04 March 2008, 05:40 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

If other people were overtaking you at that speed then I wouldn't worry mate.

If your blatantly speeding and/or under/overtaking then fair play you got caught so you get the points.
Old 04 March 2008, 05:42 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its up to and including 6 points anyway
Old 04 March 2008, 05:50 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX-DAN
i got a ticket after 2 months of the speeding, but i got it on the day i bought a car driving it home, took them ages to send it as the details on the car where changed into my name. so it can come in after 2 weeks

There are exceptions to the 14 day rule, your example is one of them, where a recent change of details can delay the nip and therefore the 14 days doesnt apply. As long as the police have been reasonably diligent in their attempts to serve the nip within the 14 days but for circumstances like change of address or keeper, then they are allowed to extend the 14 day rule. But for the majority of driver whose details are correct and upto date the 14 day rule is fixed and cannot be broken.

Andy
Old 04 March 2008, 05:52 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Its up to and including 6 points anyway
Once you get six points then you have re-sit your test whilst on 2 year probation

Andy

Last edited by andy97; 04 March 2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: understand now
Old 04 March 2008, 06:13 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

U need to have 6 points in order to lose ur license.....

I wouldnt care if other cars were going at that speed or faster..
I think that u need to go way above the speed limit so that they can use the HAND HELD device against u, cuz a slight movement of the officer holding the camera can alter the reading a lot!!!

Theres a gatso on my way to work, and its 30mph, I thought its 40 , and crossed it at around 44, no flash lol....

careful nxt time, Ive got my license from 2 yrs and have 3 points, for carrying an extra load (person).... sticking to the speedo now, but it goes mad a few times, out of control cuz am so used to go a few mph above the limit...

Wont u clear ur 3 points if u have to retake ur license??? i wouldnt mine hahahha
Old 04 March 2008, 06:19 PM
New_scooby_04

One thing in your favour is that the police don't automatically target all cars, they have to have reasonable suspicion that you're exceeding the limit...of course that doesn't mean much in and of itself, but if others were overtaking you and going faster then you, then they would naturally present themselves as candidates for a speed check first! By the time they got around to you, you may well have slowed down sufficiently (if you were exceeding the limit + whatever margin for prosecution they use there in the first instance, that is).

Good luck.

Ns04
Old 04 March 2008, 06:20 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Underworld
U need to have 6 points in order to lose ur license.....

I wouldnt care if other cars were going at that speed or faster..
I think that u need to go way above the speed limit so that they can use the HAND HELD device against uurban myth, cuz a slight movement of the officer holding the camera can alter the reading a lot!!!true, but very difficult to prove in court

Theres a gatso on my way to work, and its 30mph, I thought its 40 , and crossed it at around 44, no flash lol....

careful nxt time, Ive got my license from 2 yrs and have 3 points, for carrying an extra load (person).... sticking to the speedo now, but it goes mad a few times, out of control cuz am so used to go a few mph above the limit...

Wont u clear ur 3 points if u have to retake ur license??? once you have passed the probation period, points stay on your licence for a further 2 years, 4 years in total and count for totting up purpose for 3 years i wouldnt mine hahahha
Andy
Old 04 March 2008, 07:54 PM
pitstop
Scooby Newbie

That was a portable ANPR camera. It has IR hence so big. You will not hear a thing.
Old 04 March 2008, 08:02 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

You naughty Scooby Drivers, you carry on speeding so I can get on with my job, without Plod checking up on me.

Yours

Jonny

the Burglar/Drug Dealer/Assailant/Hoodie/Child Molester/ etc???

Mind how you go,

Alan MaC
Old 04 March 2008, 08:08 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

U should be ok under 80mph.
Old 04 March 2008, 08:37 PM
pitstop
Scooby Newbie

that camera was looking out for Jonny. Does not have laser capability.

Lookout Jonny........even if you are doing under 30 (or whatever the limit is)
Old 04 March 2008, 09:49 PM
moto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickon
I was coming back from a mates on the *** on Saturday morning (70mph limit), I was coming over the brow of a hill doing about 75, and as coming down the hill my speed probably picked up to 77, which i slowed down - just as i noticed the dreaded white volvo hidden behind a sign on a slip road with a camera pointed up the road.

I was being overtaken at the time, and all the cars around me were going faster than i was.

The camera had a decent lens on it, a big black round thing, sat inside the car with the cop behind it. I didn't see any radar gun thing, just a big round lens, probably 8 inches across.

What are the chances I'll get points? I've only been driving for 1 year 1/2, and have 3 points for a really stupid minor offence, but living in North Wales you get screwed for nothing (I went over double white lines with my two right side wheels), so i'll lose my licence if i get points.

Anyone know what type of camera it could be? Or if indeed it's a speeding camera? or one for catching criminals without insurance etc?

Ergh.... It's really annoying cause i don't ever speed, I'm always on top of it, just had a lapse of concentration for that moment regarding my speed.
Don't worry. I'd be amazed if you got done for travelling at those speeds.
Old 04 March 2008, 10:07 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

hi rickon, i cant really offer you any advice other than whats been said, but i know exactly how you feel.

until march 9th ive not had my license 2 years either, and im in the scoob everyday, making sure i dont speed and follow as much correctly as possible.

it wasnt untio dec 15th last year when i got 3 points for running a red light (geuine mistake and i admitted it striaght away), that the 6 points totting up worried me much. but since then, its made me more away of knowing the correct speed limits on all roads i go on. this wont stop on march 9th either, its generally taught me to mature into a safer driver, unlike a lot of idiots currently on the uk's roads.
Old 04 March 2008, 10:07 PM
HUDDERS1
Scooby Regular

sorry to gatecrash this thread do they use anpr on motorway bridges with cameras on tripods?

Quick Reply: Am i gonna lose my licence?