ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Subaru Impreza Review

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2007, 12:41 AM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru Impreza Review

I can't believe that Subaru have developed this! Hence I have posted this in the Non-Subaru Vehicles section.

Subaru Impreza Reviews | New Subaru Impreza | 2007 Subaru Impreza | New Subaru Car Reviews

As quoted in AutoExpress...

"The trouble is, thanks to the bland exterior styling and lack of improvements to performance, current Impreza owners - especially those who run a WRX - now have nowhere to go. Except perhaps to their local Mitsubishi main dealer to place an order for a Lancer."

Somes it up really. Impreza RIP.
Old 16 June 2007, 01:02 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Damn shame..................
Old 16 June 2007, 08:41 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Impreza R.I.P.
Old 17 June 2007, 12:09 PM
gso
Scooby Regular

Old 18 June 2007, 09:49 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did any of you acutally read the article?
He isnt slating the Impreza, just the fact that there isnt a turbo charged model until 2008, he also states that the car wont win any awards for its design, just read this part.

"So, although the latest Impreza is unlikely to scoop any awards for its design, it does remain a good car to drive, while inside, the company has brought about a noticeable - and much needed - improvement."

No doubt you missed this part?

"Happily, the Impreza's handling has lost none of its magic."

or this?

"The Impreza's disc brakes provide plenty of stopping power, and over uneven surfaces, the chassis displays the same supreme combination of comfort and agility which made the saloon versions so popular"

Read the review properly

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 18 June 2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 18 June 2007, 10:11 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Seems like quite a nice car actually, a good alternative to the civic/mazda 3/ almera???
Old 18 June 2007, 10:44 AM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
He isnt slating the Impreza, just the fact that there isnt a turbo charged model until 2008, he also states that the car wont win any awards for its design, just read this part.

"So, although the latest Impreza is unlikely to scoop any awards for its design, it does remain a good car to drive, while inside, the company has brought about a noticeable - and much needed - improvement."

or this?

"The Impreza's disc brakes provide plenty of stopping power, and over uneven surfaces, the chassis displays the same supreme combination of comfort and agility which made the saloon versions so popular"

Read the review properly

Tony
Tony, we have read it. And its still an awfull looking car compared to all of those that have gone before it. Regardless of stopping power and handling. Its not what I would wish for. Unless I was upgrading from a KIA???
Which ain't happening.
Old 18 June 2007, 10:52 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Subarus have never been that pretty but this one really does take the pi55!

I've always been able to overlook the uglyness, knowing that the car is great but this may be a step too far.

Even worse than the Forester!!
Old 18 June 2007, 11:04 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Paddi70
Tony, we have read it. And its still an awfull looking car compared to all of those that have gone before it.
Are you blind?! so the classic was a masterpiece of exterior design, errrrm nope, ugly as sin, then you had the turbo which had a bonnet vent, made it look very funny then you got the bug eye, then the blob, now the hawk and since the new car is changing for a more "main stream" look, you hate it?
Sorry to say that if you dont like the car for its looks, why the hell did you ever buy a subaru? and considering that the STI looks different to the GX/sport version, lots to base anything on....

Tony
Old 18 June 2007, 12:06 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

or this?

Read the review properly

Tony
I have read the review properly and I quoted the summary of the review. Also considering that Mitsubishi are at least heading to a better direction in the form of the EVO 10, I suppose the summary summed it up.

Sorry for me, the car shows no aggression and just blends into the background with the Corollas of the world. For me I loved my "classic" STI 5.
Old 18 June 2007, 12:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by RAJ27
I have read the review properly and I quoted the summary of the review. Also considering that Mitsubishi are at least heading to a better direction in the form of the EVO 10, I suppose the summary summed it up.

Sorry for me, the car shows no aggression and just blends into the background with the Corollas of the world. For me I loved my "classic" STI 5.

Now put this car next to the 1.6ltr lancer.
This isnt the STI, its the mainstream 1.6/2ltr/2.5 NA cars, you cant compare it to the evo.

Tony
Old 18 June 2007, 12:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Right, just putting some points down here before this annoys me too much
This is NOT the evo beater, its the lancer beater, its the focus beater, its the golf beater, its not a turbocharged 300bhp road going rally monster, its a mainstream competitive car.
It CANNOT be compared to the Evo X, for the simple reason that its not the STi.
Points to note. Ok we aint getting the WRX, that has been a big selling point for subaru over the last decade, so they have decided to go head to head against the Evo X, not have the middle car should we say
Mitsubishi has never had that "inbetween" car, unless you want to call the carisma an "inbetween car" of course, their flagship is the Evo, so why is there a comparison between the WRX and the Evo because as we all know, the Evo's direct competitor from Subaru is the STi.
Now having seen pictures of the STi, yes its better looking than that mostrosity of an evo (its not pretty either), but that is what we are waiting for and that is where the comparisons should be being made, not here against the bottom of the range subaru v the top of the range lancer which I find rather bemusing.
Now if you would rather drive around in a 1.6ltr lancer over the 1.5ltr subaru (though if you have seen the 1.6ltr lancer you would probably go for the 1.5ltr subaru ) then thats your choice

Tony
Old 18 June 2007, 12:30 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Ditto Tony

Well done for putting up with all this.

Indeed bug, blob and hawk models have never really been my cup of tea which is why I've gone back to my classic after owning a blob eyed JDM STI model.

You are comparing apples with pears. I'd really like to know how many of you are honestly in a postion to really buy and own the 'NEW' Evo 10.

Comments are fine and welcomed but you can't just compare a base model with an alternatives flagship!!

Lets compare the base Astra with the Focus ST then.

Or the base Golf against the Civic Type R shall we?

If we are talknig driving dynamics then it would seem the next incarnation of the Impreza is going to be a cut above the rest of hum drum alternatives and its the hum drum models that are always going to be a motor manufacturers bread and butter.

Esh

Last edited by ESH; 18 June 2007 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Must learn to spell!!
Old 18 June 2007, 12:37 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

ESH - I think people will always "selectively" compare models to make their own sound better.
Old 18 June 2007, 12:55 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

Are you blind?! so the classic was a masterpiece of exterior design, errrrm nope, ugly as sin, then you had the turbo which had a bonnet vent, made it look very funny then you got the bug eye, then the blob, now the hawk and since the new car is changing for a more "main stream" look, you hate it?
Sorry to say that if you dont like the car for its looks, why the hell did you ever buy a subaru? and considering that the STI looks different to the GX/sport version, lots to base anything on....

Tony
You blasphemer, the Classic is a fantastic looking vehicle
I'm now convinced more than ever you had a part to play in its design
Old 18 June 2007, 03:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Paddi70
You blasphemer, the Classic is a fantastic looking vehicle
I'm now convinced more than ever you had a part to play in its design
I didnt buy my classic because it looked nice it was for the 4 doors (well thats my excuse, performance and practicality )
If i wanted something nice to look at, id buy a BMW convertable

Tony
Old 18 June 2007, 08:07 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

I didnt buy my classic because it looked nice it was for the 4 doors (well thats my excuse, performance and practicality )

Tony
Not sure about the convertable.
Old 18 June 2007, 11:53 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ESH
Ditto Tony

Well done for putting up with all this.

Indeed bug, blob and hawk models have never really been my cup of tea which is why I've gone back to my classic after owning a blob eyed JDM STI model.

You are comparing apples with pears. I'd really like to know how many of you are honestly in a postion to really buy and own the 'NEW' Evo 10.

Comments are fine and welcomed but you can't just compare a base model with an alternatives flagship!!

Lets compare the base Astra with the Focus ST then.

Or the base Golf against the Civic Type R shall we?

If we are talknig driving dynamics then it would seem the next incarnation of the Impreza is going to be a cut above the rest of hum drum alternatives and its the hum drum models that are always going to be a motor manufacturers bread and butter.

Esh
OK IMHO The "base" Impreza looks crap compared to the Civic, Golf, Focus, Astra....... and even dare I say it the KIA C'eed looks even better than that. I have seen the new STI and even that looks crap.....compared with the Golf R32, Focus ST, Civic Type R (ok down on power), Astra VXR, Mazda 3 MPS which are all hatch backs. So they can all be compared like for like on a aesthetic level. Looks count for a lot nowadays that's why Subaru had to "fix" the bug eye model. When I buy a car I want my car to tick all the boxes.

Might as well buy a classic RB5 and keep the change.

Last edited by RAJ27; 18 June 2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 19 June 2007, 12:03 AM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Any ideas why the 2.0 has gone down to 130bhp again? Considering the 06/07 2.0 was 160bhp..
Old 19 June 2007, 12:14 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have seen the new STI .
Hmmm i dont think its acutually released yet pretty hard to see one

Looks count for a lot nowadays that's why Subaru had to "fix" the bug eye model.
Might as well buy a classic RB5 and keep the change .

Now that shows you that looks count for alot, a car design pushing 16 years

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 19 June 2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 19 June 2007, 12:24 AM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

IM sure ive seen that some markets are gettiing a saloon version? i have seen pics of it.

I dont get where europe isnt :S
Old 19 June 2007, 12:40 AM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

New Subaru Impreza WRX STi First Look &raquo Australian Car Advice | News Blog

BTW I live in OZ and have seen some imported versions of the wrx. I think the sti will look similar to the artist impression in the above link.

My personal opinion is that the RB5 is gorgeous in everyway. It doesn't look 16 years old.
Old 19 June 2007, 12:53 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I can't believe that Subaru have developed this! Hence I have posted this in the Non-Subaru Vehicles section.

Subaru Impreza Reviews | New Subaru Impreza | 2007 Subaru Impreza | New Subaru Car Reviews

As quoted in AutoExpress...

"The trouble is, thanks to the bland exterior styling and lack of improvements to performance, current Impreza owners - especially those who run a WRX - now have nowhere to go. Except perhaps to their local Mitsubishi main dealer to place an order for a Lancer."

Somes it up really. Impreza RIP.

They have killed Subaru as we know it in the UK. Look at the profile photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Urrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dam it! I have loved them all my life, I was lucky enough to have had a new WR MY99 at 24. Boy I'm old. I'll never drive at 30 grand hatchback.
Old 19 June 2007, 01:16 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Tony
Well I have to disagree Tony. I bought my Turbo 2000 in 99 and to this day think it looked fantastic. I hate to hear this 'You dont buy a Subaru for its looks nonsense!!!!' A car can handle and look good???? You dont but a car that looks crap full stop! There are plenty of cars that look better and give just as good driving dynamics, or better. The brand is dead in the water in the UK. Would you pay 30k for a hatchback? Maybe some Audi fans might. But Subaru don't have the depth of range or quality to carry it off.

Any jobs going at Subaru?

Buy a Ford or a Seat!! I was going SpecC GP but I'm worried I'll loose a fortune now.

I'll await the next 350Z or EVO.
Old 19 June 2007, 09:22 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Mr Leigh
Well I have to disagree Tony. I bought my Turbo 2000 in 99 and to this day think it looked fantastic. I hate to hear this 'You dont buy a Subaru for its looks nonsense!!!!' A car can handle and look good???? You dont but a car that looks crap full stop! There are plenty of cars that look better and give just as good driving dynamics, or better. The brand is dead in the water in the UK. Would you pay 30k for a hatchback? Maybe some Audi fans might. But Subaru don't have the depth of range or quality to carry it off.

Any jobs going at Subaru?

Buy a Ford or a Seat!! I was going SpecC GP but I'm worried I'll loose a fortune now.

I'll await the next 350Z or EVO.
Oh come off it, the classic is no looker, it GRIPS well, doesnt handle badly but its not THE best handling car (there is a difference between grip and handling btw).
Park all the Impreza's in a row and the classic looks ancient, the bug looks old, even the blob looks old, the hawk looks good and the new one drops in line with that theory, it looks the freshest and nicest interior (plus better build quality).
After owning subaru's for 7 years, I can say that subaru have made a bold move, pushing into the mainstream market and competing with the likes of vauxhall, ford, vw group, and I think they will take part of that market
They have done exactly what mitsubishi have done for years, given you a mainstream car and a BIG jump to the top of the range Evo, missing out the middle guy (probably because they make more money on the STi's than they do the WRX's )
The US gets the WRX because its a bigger market, we get the STI because thats what sells more.
Now back to those looks, the Impreza is NOT a good looking car, its an agressive looking car, this is why we like them though subaru have been doing the right thing over the years and making them less agressive looking and focusing on a different (wider) market, as they are a business (and if you dont like it, lump it and go buy a SEAT/VW/Renault/Honda/Mitsubishi instead ).
No matter what people think, Subaru have made the right move, and it will pay off (plus hatch backs are doing better than saloons in the WRC so a different car was needed ).
I for one will buy the new shape, though it may take some time to get my funds together

Tony
Old 19 June 2007, 09:30 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i think you will find that we dont get the WRX due to emissions and higher running costs.

selling the wrx will be a waste of time in the UK now

stupid tax and running costs all add up
Old 19 June 2007, 10:02 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

The Impreza and it's counterpart the EVO have always been as ugly as sin but in a way that had a "I don't give a damn, cos I am fast" attitude... the new design has no attitude or personality. It now says to me "made in Korea". Agreed it was a marketing disaster launching the base model at the same time the new beautifully aggressive EVO was launched, as the comparison was inevitable.

The STI will look better than the base model, but it has lost something of it's character which set it apart from other fast cars for me. My next car will be an EVO, a Monaro or the new AWD focus RS... although I am going to thoroughly enjoy my current Impreza first, which I simply love driving.

I personally think Subaru have dropped a bollock going for the main stream market that won't be able to distinguish a base Impreza from a base focus anyway.
Old 19 June 2007, 11:41 AM
GravelBen
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
Any ideas why the 2.0 has gone down to 130bhp again? Considering the 06/07 2.0 was 160bhp..
Thats a good question, I'm guessing overly restrictive emissions regs? My 1997 Legacy TS-R 2.0 na is 155 bhp, my 1990 Legacy VZ 2.0 na was 150 bhp (and 7750 rpm ), 17 years development for 20 less bhp?
Old 19 June 2007, 11:42 AM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Park all the Impreza's in a row and the classic looks ancient, the bug looks old, even the blob looks old, the hawk looks good and the new one drops in line with that theory, it looks the freshest and nicest interior (plus better build quality).

They have done exactly what mitsubishi have done for years, given you a mainstream car and a BIG jump to the top of the range Evo, missing out the middle guy (probably because they make more money on the STi's than they do the WRX's )

Now back to those looks, the Impreza is NOT a good looking car, its an agressive looking car, this is why we like them though subaru have been doing the right thing over the years and making them less agressive looking and focusing on a different (wider) market, as they are a business (and if you dont like it, lump it and go buy a SEAT/VW/Renault/Honda/Mitsubishi instead ).
No matter what people think, Subaru have made the right move, and it will pay off (plus hatch backs are doing better than saloons in the WRC so a different car was needed ).
I for one will buy the new shape, though it may take some time to get my funds together

Tony

The classic shape may well be ancient next to its younger counterparts but there is no denying its has more charm and pedegree than the other three models. Why do I have a classic still. Well until they bring out another two door variant I don't need to upgrade again.

Buy another car? Well I did just that I wanted a four door mile muncher that would be cheaper to own and run along side the impreza so I brought a Seat Leon TDi.

Would I buy the next STI? Well maybe. I've always liked the bold styling the outrageous performance offered by these rally inspired cars so will long continue to buy them.

It is such as shame that Peugeot, Citroen, Skoda & Ford do not bring out 4WD turbo charged viariants of their rally cars. More competition in this sector would improve things yet further.

Regards
Old 19 June 2007, 11:57 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Ford is bringing out a 300bhp AWD focus RS next year, according to some sources.

Quick Reply: Subaru Impreza Review