ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

In Praise of my Scooby Auto.

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2007, 01:15 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Praise of my Scooby Auto.

Now then boys, make way for an experienced driver, (since 1967) who has had more cars in his life than most of you have years.
I drive a MY96 WRX JDM Wagon, it is auto and it is a SCOOBY.
In terms of smiles per gallon, it is by far the best car that I have ever owned. End of.
If you've never driven an auto SCOOBY that has had a few mods, then you don't know what you are missing.
This is my opinion of my car which is, according to some people on here, not a very good car to own. (because it is an old Classic)

I've no idea what BHP I'm running, but it's enough to keep me amused.
If anyone can estimate my BHP from the mods listed in 'View my Scooby' then please feel free to enlighten me.

The advantages to me are,
  1. It never misses a gear change in an off-the line sprint.
  2. I can choose to let it change up a gear at 4000rpm or 6000 rpm at the flick of a switch when accelerating.
  3. The automatic kickdown to a lower gear when you floor the throttle makes you feel that you have just made the car go into Warp Factor 9! That is usually enough to make most tail-chasers seem like they are standing still.
  4. Cruising at 80mph is at 3000rpm! so theoretical top speed at 6500rpm is over 160mph, but I know that in reality I will never get that due to drag etc.
  5. Autos are a god-send in traffic crawls, no aching left leg and no hot clutches.
  6. In icy weather, I flick a switch and the car will start off in second gear instead of first and avoid wheel spins.
  7. I can choose to change gear myself or just put it in D and let the car select the gears itself.
This not intended as a 'my car is better than yours' thread, but it is just my opinion of my car.

G

P.S. can an auto be tested on a rolling road to find the power output?
Old 02 June 2007, 01:25 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big-G
Now then boys, make way for an experienced driver, (since 1967) who has had more cars in his life than most of you have years.
I drive a MY96 WRX JDM Wagon, it is auto and it is a SCOOBY.
In terms of smiles per gallon, it is by far the best car that I have ever owned. End of.
If you've never driven an auto SCOOBY that has had a few mods, then you don't know what you are missing.
This is my opinion of my car which is, according to some people on here, not a very good car to own. (because it is an old Classic)

I've no idea what BHP I'm running, but it's enough to keep me amused.
If anyone can estimate my BHP from the mods listed in 'View my Scooby' then please feel free to enlighten me.

The advantages to me are,
  1. It never misses a gear change in an off-the line sprint.
  2. I can choose to let it change up a gear at 4000rpm or 6000 rpm at the flick of a switch when accelerating.
  3. The automatic kickdown to a lower gear when you floor the throttle makes you feel that you have just made the car go into Warp Factor 9! That is usually enough to make most tail-chasers seem like they are standing still.
  4. Cruising at 80mph is at 3000rpm! so theoretical top speed at 6500rpm is over 160mph, but I know that in reality I will never get that due to drag etc.
  5. Autos are a god-send in traffic crawls, no aching left leg and no hot clutches.
  6. In icy weather, I flick a switch and the car will start off in second gear instead of first and avoid wheel spins.
  7. I can choose to change gear myself or just put it in D and let the car select the gears itself.
This not intended as a 'my car is better than yours' thread, but it is just my opinion of my car.

G

P.S. can an auto be tested on a rolling road to find the power output?

nice thread. comes across a little arrogant, but thats maybe me. i have a classic and i dont give a **** which fuddy duddy grandards off here consider me chav. bollocks them, im happy and my car looks pristine at the moment.

andy
Old 02 June 2007, 01:44 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

I didn't mean it to be an arrogant thread, and I am a grandad but definately no fuddy-duddy.
A Scoob is a Scoob, if it pleases the owner, then that's job done, a car should be the way the owner wants it to be, not the way others think it should be ( I think I said that right ).
Old 02 June 2007, 03:17 AM
danfranklin1
Scooby Regular

Nice one - doesn't sound arrogant at all to me... just an ode to the great things about Impreza ownership. I heartily agree- been in the club just over a year now and love mine to bits - I've racked up the miles in it as I've got a long commute, and she's never let me down. Actually makes driving to work fun! People who say the car's image has suffered from them becomming affordable are missing the point - what's wrong with ordinary people like me who don't can't afford a Ferrari buying a five grand supercar? Does that make me a chav? I think not... what chav listens to Radio Four?!
Old 02 June 2007, 12:12 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

I have a 97" auto UK Impreza saloon, the facelifted classic is for me the best looking shape, but i do have a soft spot for a blue blob-eye too.

If i were to change cars I would want to have what you have but a saloon. What I'm trying to say is when i got my impreza i was of the beginners train of thought that grey-import jab cars are worth steering away from. Later I found out the jap market released WRX turbo's with auto g/boxes.

At the time anyway I was for insurance purposes the wrong side of 25, but it may have made me wait if I knew then what I know now about the JDM stuff...
Old 02 June 2007, 12:18 PM
wayno
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with taking pride in your scooby
Old 02 June 2007, 12:52 PM
mac12
Scooby Regular

nice looking wagon and like you said some advantages to having an auto, hard to guess what bhp you running,what ecu are you running with the td05 turbo....
Old 02 June 2007, 01:15 PM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mac12
nice looking wagon and like you said some advantages to having an auto, hard to guess what bhp you running,what ecu are you running with the td05 turbo....
Hi, thanks for the comment,
I posted a thread about my ECU :-
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...agon-my96.html
Old 02 June 2007, 02:10 PM
mac12
Scooby Regular

not sure if you can swap over ecu from a pre96 saloon manual to an auto, if you can then a z4 would be a good option with your td05 260bhp.
is that your original ecu you have in there now, if so that would of been set up to run the td04 turbo..
Old 02 June 2007, 03:01 PM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mac12
not sure if you can swap over ecu from a pre96 saloon manual to an auto, if you can then a z4 would be a good option with your td05 260bhp.
is that your original ecu you have in there now, if so that would of been set up to run the td04 turbo..
The TD05 was on the car when it came from Japan nearly 3 years ago, so I am guessing that it might be correct for it, car goes well and has run OK without any related problems. Has always been a quick car with loads of power.
I really need to put it on a rolling road and maybe a re-map at the same time.

G
Old 02 June 2007, 03:14 PM
mac12
Scooby Regular

you sure its got the td05, have you seen the stamp on the turbo or you got a receipt for it being fitted to the car G
dont know what the 4b ecu is originally from what model,if no running issues then must be ok but i think 4b ecu peaks at 10.5psi....