Technical Advice \Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2007, 12:46 PM
Benno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Technical Advice \Needed

Hi Guys
Got a problem and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I have just shipped my car to Australia fromthe UK and when I drove it today for the first time it was fine for about 10 minutes but then started hesitating and backfiring when I accelerated before dieing all together, the engine turned over but it wouldn't start. When leaving the car for approx 10 minutes the car started up and I drove again for about 10-15 minutes before doing the same thing. All in all this scenario was repeated 3 times as I tried to get home. When the car starts hesitating I hear a clicking noise before the engine revs drop and the "check engine" light comes on, some one has suggested the problem may be the immobiliser (sigma M30). Car runs fine during the 10 minute window and alarm and immobiliser seem to turn on and off ok. Car was running fine in the UK but sat around for 3 months whilst being transitted.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Benno
Old 12 March 2007, 04:08 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

I wonder if its fuel starvation: maybe a breather is blocked (not sure how the tank breathes...maybe thru the petrol cap?) if its pulling a vacuum on the tank it might last for 10 mins then starve of fuel..leave it 10 mins for the vacuum to be lost and repeat??

my best guess, chum

otherwise it sounds temperature related......does the ECU reduce power on over temperature?
Old 12 March 2007, 04:11 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

might sound daft but could it be due to the air/fuel mixture, hotter climate and thinner air???