WR1 performance?

Old 14 February 2007, 10:09 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 84of300
Kitchen, where's that

I'd beat you, Pete
A womans reactions and ability behind a wheel are well know to be far less advanced than a mans.

Even in my advanced years I still have some testosterone flowing through my veins and it's that which will be the undoing of you ........ you will pull-out of a corner way before I do
Old 14 February 2007, 10:15 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete, you crack me up
Old 14 February 2007, 10:20 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
you will pull-out of a corner way before I do
Which would mean that she would be in front....??

Old 14 February 2007, 10:25 PM
ian10
Scooby Regular

my friend has a wr1 (for sale if anyone interested)

I have drove it and it didnt feel as quick as my sti8 which has been mapped to around 320 bhp .

around 4000 rpm mine had more torque and reved quicker ,but at higher rpm they felt about the same.
Old 15 February 2007, 12:48 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> Not sure if the WR1 and the STI have the same gearing!, but 20bhp will
> make no odds on a 300bhp sti, none whats so ever, to pull away and
> be "SIGNIFICANTLY" quicker, you would need about 100bhp more to put
> any distance between them.

Well obviously another 20bhp will make some difference, the question is whether it's noticeable or measurable. I think the gearing is the same because the WR1 is based on an UK spec STi and modded. The 18" wheels and tyres have a small effect on gearing (a few %) but no significant difference like the JDM gearing.

From my experience I know the difference is noticeable. Could be illusionary (noticeable but not measurable) because of the way the powers delivered but I'm just reporting what I feel for the help of others. Did I say it would pull away? No, I said it felt significantly quicker. Who's the one who's driven both, you or me? Oh it's me. I've got no axe to grind as I already own it, I've had it 3 years, so don't feel the need to justify my purchase, I'm not selling it so don't need to talk it up. Nevertheless the WR1 feels quicker.

I for one take the 4.2 sec 0-60 time with a pinch of salt because it's so much quicker than the 301bhp STi equivalent for only another 6% more power. But I've driven both and the WR1 feels significantly quicker. Which was the answer to the original question.

No further argument will be entered into as I'm not that bothered, just trying to help the original poster.
Old 15 February 2007, 01:00 AM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

as an 05 sti ppp owner who has followed a wr1 on a spirited drive,yes there is a difference-its not huge but the wr1 is definitely quicker and handles better. although how much of a gap if any would be determined by the confidence of the driver i reckon. the wr1 was certainly quick enough to make the 400hp 2.5 type r following ask what had been done to it
Old 15 February 2007, 10:19 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by [22B]
Not sure if the WR1 and the STI have the same gearing!, but 20bhp will make no odds on a 300bhp sti, none whats so ever, to pull away and be "SIGNIFICANTLY" quicker, you would need about 100bhp more to put any distance between them.:
Not strictly true. It's where that extra power is delivered! People seem paranoid in getting the MAX. bhp as high as possible when it's the shape of the power curve that's important. You could have +20 bhp at, say 6500 but +40bhp at mid range - 4-5000 Now you WILL feel a difference!
A true example of this was the Sierra Cosworth that my son had modded by Power Engineering a few years ago. It peaked at 296 bhp with the standard exhaust. We then replaced it with a GGR 3" sport cat. system and guess what? 297 bhp! However, on the road it was a different car, better responce, much better mid-range etc. You just had to compare the power curves to see what had happened!
JohnD
Old 15 February 2007, 10:44 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

I owned a WR1 for two years and pushed it to the limits of what it could take ... the only word I can think of to describe that car is 'awesome'

It took a Spec-C on the road and also on the track, it wiped the floor with regular STis and it looked the absolute nads.

Don't care about what other people think about cost/spec etc ... I have owned a variety of subarus and so I have real life experience with the cars. It is one of the best subaru's ever released in this country.

What people have to remember is that the car was a STANDARD car. So when you see people come on saying oh it's not as good as a STI with this and that bolted onto it or some 333 conversion you have to remember that those cars have no warranty ... so when they inevitably break you have no comeback and have to fork out to fix them.

Alot of comments you will get will be from people that have never owned any of the cars they are talking about and are just basing what they say on stuff they've read or preminitions they have had whilst tucked up in bed at night cuddling a teddy.

On another note ... the 0-60 time for the WR1 ...4.25 secs ... was accurate. I achieved it ... although you had to push the car hard to get it.
Old 15 February 2007, 11:02 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chunkb

Pics of a modified WR1,done by RCM 487bhp,the scoobymania car is a import sti with a 2.5.

I was passenger in this car with three other people (so four up) when it made the abbey motorsport skyline look like it was going backwards down the full two mile straight at Bruntingthorpe. The car was travelling at approx 180mph and I've still to drive or be in a car that can match it for sheer performance through every single gear.

All credit to RCM for building it and Chris/Rosy for just letting go and putting the best of everything into it regardless of cost
Old 15 February 2007, 12:18 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
I'd beat you, Pete
...with a stick.
Old 15 February 2007, 12:24 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby222
as an 05 sti ppp owner who has followed a wr1 on a spirited drive,yes there is a difference-its not huge but the wr1 is definitely quicker and handles better. although how much of a gap if any would be determined by the confidence of the driver i reckon. the wr1 was certainly quick enough to make the 400hp 2.5 type r following ask what had been done to it
So back to my original thought, a TSL333 STi with some whiteline goodies should be on par with the WR1 then?!
Old 15 February 2007, 12:30 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I don't think anyone is questioning standard comparisons, of course it will be better. I personally was interested in what spec the STi had to be at the be on par with the WR1.

Originally Posted by Gangsta Smurf
What people have to remember is that the car was a STANDARD car. So when you see people come on saying oh it's not as good as a STI with this and that bolted onto it or some 333 conversion you have to remember that those cars have no warranty ... so when they inevitably break you have no comeback and have to fork out to fix them.
That could stir up a hornets nest.

I saw a WR1 that was in Greers for an engine build, appeared on a low loader because the engine had let go, that was standard apparently.
Old 15 February 2007, 12:34 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby222
as an 05 sti ppp owner who has followed a wr1 on a spirited drive,yes there is a difference-its not huge but the wr1 is definitely quicker and handles better. although how much of a gap if any would be determined by the confidence of the driver i reckon.
True in my experiences. I followed a WR1 and the difference was the WR1 edged away from me in the STI PPP.

This thread is getting bogged down with pub talk - in the real world the diffenences between WR1/STI PPP are more down to the driver than anything else and assuming similar drivers the differnece is not as great as some may say.

Also - Nice one Pete, someone took the bait. Entertaining the SN community once again.

Gaz - Yes IMO. Your car finished yet or what!
Old 15 February 2007, 12:35 PM
jayltee1
Scooby Regular

I did post the thread asking about STANDARD spec - so thanks to all who commented on it from that perspective - I am now a believer

As for personally not liking the colour, the modding option to get a comparable example is also useful to know - cheers to all!
Old 15 February 2007, 12:39 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
I saw a WR1 that was in Greers for an engine build, appeared on a low loader because the engine had let go, that was standard apparently.
I think this proves the point, but not in the way you intended. If a standard WR1 with its 5k oil changes can break then surely a company x modded STI to the same or more power with possibly less frequent oil changes can also break.....

The big difference is one will be rebuilt for free and the other will leave you crying into your beer. Of course, this line of argument won't count soon as all the WR1's will be out of warranty unless you bend over and get shafted on a warranty extension.
Old 15 February 2007, 12:59 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

I don't think anyone is questioning standard comparisons, of course it will be better. I personally was interested in what spec the STi had to be at the be on par with the WR1.

That could stir up a hornets nest.

No hornet's nest will be stirred up. If you drive these cars at their limits all the time, standard or not, they will break! It is inevitable! If you modify a car, then it is highly likely that it will break more often than a standard one ... it's fact.
Old 15 February 2007, 02:06 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

No hornet's nest will be stirred up. If you drive these cars at their limits all the time, standard or not, they will break! It is inevitable! If you modify a car, then it is highly likely that it will break more often than a standard one ... it's fact.
Yes thats true BUT a WR1 is a modded STI. It uses alot of similar components to other 3rd party manufacturers. Increase Turbo boost, Walboro fuel pump, Bigger exhaust system, blah blah blah.
Old 15 February 2007, 04:33 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by terzo204
Gaz - Yes IMO. Your car finished yet or what!
De-tango next week then yes Will get it valeted after that then post up pics.

Wanna come play some time
Old 15 February 2007, 05:34 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

...with a stick.
Old 15 February 2007, 06:15 PM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

If you drive these cars at their limits all the time, standard or not, they will break! It is inevitable!
ive driven all my imprerzas to or near their limits all the time without breaking any of them. written them off but never broken them!
but in all seriousness theres very few people who will take these cars to the limit on the road to appreciate the difference between them. and if your going to use it mainly on track then respect to your cahunas for taking 20 odd grands worth of car on track regularly- go get a classic ra.
for myself, having bought a new sti, got ppp'd, piaa driving lights and prodrive suspension i wish id got a wr1 and the extra goodies,exclusivity and better residuals
Old 16 February 2007, 12:58 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alwong
Yes thats true BUT a WR1 is a modded STI. It uses alot of similar components to other 3rd party manufacturers. Increase Turbo boost, Walboro fuel pump, Bigger exhaust system, blah blah blah.
The key thing is though that it's approved and carries the three year warranty. On your V5 and insurance documentation is states Subaru Impreza WR1 ... when it breaks it costs you absolutely nothing to get it fixed!
Old 16 February 2007, 01:34 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Wanna come play some time
Not with your spec - I would'nt keep up! It's also a bit of a trek.

Very interested to see how the project is getting on though.

Mike
Old 16 February 2007, 01:41 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by pslewis
A womans reactions and ability behind a wheel are well know to be far less advanced than a mans.

Even in my advanced years I still have some testosterone flowing through my veins and it's that which will be the undoing of you ........ you will pull-out of a corner way before I do
Is it just me or do the words:

'pslewis', 'testosterone' and 'pulling out' in the same message (directed at a lady) make anyone else feel uncomfortable!!
Old 16 February 2007, 02:14 PM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

What some of you guys talking about?

The WRX STI Type UK PPP does come with the standard 3 year manufacturers warranty.
Old 16 February 2007, 02:17 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jubhi
What some of you guys talking about?

The WRX STI Type UK PPP does come with the standard 3 year manufacturers warranty.
I think it was when we compared the TSL333.
Old 16 February 2007, 02:18 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by terzo204
Not with your spec - I would'nt keep up! It's also a bit of a trek.

Very interested to see how the project is getting on though.

Mike
Yep, pics will be up in no more than 2 weeks. Get it cleaned first.
Old 16 February 2007, 03:38 PM
AllyJ
Scooby Regular

I raced with a WR1 on a track day a few months back, he followed me, I have a sti05 uk ppp - upgraded to TSL 333 with their pulse exhaust mapped to 341bhp and have the tsl suspension mods and geometry settings, my car was faster than the wr1 but only by 3-4 car lengths when I drove mine after a 2.5 mile lap oval circuit.

The wr1 guy steve is a m8 of mine, we swapped cars and he beat me by 3-4 car lengths again so my tsl version for us was quicker. Bare in mind as has been the said the wr1 is out of the box my sti wasnt, I spent including the ppp about 5k in mods on an sti that cost me 21k and was 10months old at the time, considering the insurance and start point for an out of the factory model the wr1 is great and probably in my opinion up there with one of the best 'typeuk' cars made from the factory.

As a mattter of opinion both myself and steve far prefered the 'driveability' factor of the tsl map and its delivery, far far more manageable and less in yer face than the prodrive map, but thats a well trodden discussion. Suffice as to say we both preferred the tsl sti to the wr1. Of course you can remap the wr1
Old 21 February 2007, 02:54 AM
RB5_203
Scooby Regular

The key thing is though that it's approved and carries the three year warranty. On your V5 and insurance documentation is states Subaru Impreza WR1 ... when it breaks it costs you absolutely nothing to get it fixed!

Rob,

Adam run his WR1 at the pod and got 12.7 1/4 mile and all he did was take the space saver out, as you know this car is standard...apart from being bullied by Adams right foot!!

I have had the pleasure of driving my friends WR1 on many of occasions and for a standard car its has to be the best uk Subaru ever made, just a shame they didn't make it in blue steel/cool grey
Old 21 February 2007, 07:40 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RB5_203
Rob,

Adam run his WR1 at the pod and got 12.7 1/4 mile and all he did was take the space saver out, as you know this car is standard...apart from being bullied by Adams right foot!!

I have had the pleasure of driving my friends WR1 on many of occasions and for a standard car its has to be the best uk Subaru ever made, just a shame they didn't make it in blue steel/cool grey

12.7!!!! Tell him to put his foot down next time
Old 21 February 2007, 10:35 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Having had a WR1 until I was relieved of it by Scumbags last year I can maybe offer a perspective on some of what is being discussed.

I had my WR1 from new and it was unmodified. At the first WR1OC rolling road meet it was the most powerful unmodified WR1 there because, to quote Mike Wood "It was being driven as it maker intended" So it was usually driven in a spirited manor.

The car that replaced it (as unfortunately the RB320 was announced just too late) is a Spec D that I had modified from new with a brief that it should match or exceed the WR1 in every area as I didn't want to end up with an inferior car to the one I had stolen.

The result is a Spec D with Prodrive 18" wheels, rear spoiler, STi splitter; Remap/Performance Kit resulting in 340bhp and 450 NM torqe and it is also fitted with AST suspension and braided brake hoses etc.,..

So in theory it is a higher spec car than the WR1, it is certainly faster in terms of performance and can go rounds corners quicker BUT 7000 miles on I am still not convinced by it, I simply don't enjoy driving it as much as I did the WR1. In fact I miss the WR1 and I think that tells you an awful lot, I supect it is down to the fact the WR1 was a 'complete package' and therefore provided a more rounded driving experience.

So you may be able to on paper take an STi and bolt bits on to create something that on paper matches or beats the WR1, but I would question whether or not you would actually end up with a better car.

If I could afford the hit in depreciation (which I can't) I would trade my current car for a RB320 even though it is on paper less attractive than my current car as I suspect it might have that element I miss from the WR1.

Regards,

Robin

Last edited by RobinSherwood; 21 February 2007 at 12:19 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WR1 performance?