ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

A very rude question

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2000, 04:01 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This is probably the rudest question you will be asked.

Whilst resting last night my mind was thinking about Brands Hatch tomorrow and why I was not going on track, and how come so many of you are going on track. Basically I came to the conclusion that I could not afford to trash the car, unlikely though it may be (though you've not seen me drive ). The replacement cost is one thing, yes the insurance would pay up, but I could not afford to insure a new scooby.

So basically the question is about money, or more specifically, how did you pay for your car. Did you finance it, if so then what was your depoist and terms or repayment, or did you purchase outright?

Whilst I'm taking the mick, I might as well ask for a rough guess as to how much you earn. Hey, I'm being rude, so why not go all the way.

Obviously this thread will get killed pretty quick, but I'm expecting that.

I would prefer if people email me (see my profile). Why? well, I'd not want my details openlly displayed, which is why I do feel kinda bad at asking this question, but what the hell.

BTW - if you want to call me a cheeky fat bast for asking, then please do, oh, and you can say it to my face at BH tomorrow if you want.
Old 26 October 2000, 04:30 PM
NickF
Scooby Regular

Check your mail
Old 26 October 2000, 04:31 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Markus, hope you're well!

A very interesting and honest question IMHO! It is something that regularly goes through my mind when I see young guys (and gals!)in very nice motors!

Basically I bought my '94WRX for cash after realising I had quite a bit in the bank and really, no, really really wanted a nice car! (Money left from relatives and also lot's of hard work in Oz and here in Hull!). So no repayments and no finance, something I am proud of!

As to earning now, I am a Senior Brand Manager in a pHarms/Healthcare company and am "comfortable", nothing amazing but not bad for 28! Nothing like the IT contractor boys though! (Flame retardent apparel ready to be donned!).

So there you go!

Cheers,

Jon.
Old 26 October 2000, 04:41 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Bought mine outright,as I'd somehow accumulated the cash.

I work for IBM and although this may sound strange, I'm not quite sure what they pay me. I have a basic salary (which is very good, thankyou Mr Gerstner) but I get loads of other things, which add up quite quickly.

Anyway, make hay while the sun shines, I could be packing shelves in Aldi next week

Geezer
Old 26 October 2000, 04:45 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Markus,

Well, yeah, a valid question... hmm..

Well, my P1 is mostly payed for, as was my MY00 UK turbo prior to it.. And yes, I'm an IT contractor, as its the only way I can afford the 3K of insurance each year... i killed one of MY99 MX-5 Sport's this year in Feb... doh!

I'm 26 though, being working for 8+ years in the industry..

Want to do track days, but need to do some driving courses first..

So whats your story as you're asking for other peoples?

Rgds,
Alex
Old 26 October 2000, 04:51 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

24 year's old IT contractor....And general rich mans son!!!!...asked my father to buy me it and he did.....

thank's dad...and GoD (If you exist!!)
Old 26 October 2000, 05:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Cheers to all of you who've posted so far.

For the delictation of Dr Evil, and others. You've told me yours so I'll tell you mine. And let it be a lesson to you all!

Had P reg Saxo VTS (lovely if very small car) and wanted a scooby. Could not/did not want to get another big loan so decided not to spend 17k+ on dutch import scooby. Purchased Mondeo ST24 for aprox 15k.

Longed for scooby so six months later sold mondeo for 9.2k (don't rib me about this, I've learned the <B>*very*</B> hard way, will not be so foolish in future)

As a result I had a loan to payoff and therefore not too much folding around. Hence my budget being around 10.5k absolute max. Got a MY94 WRX Wagon for aprox 9.5k in April this year.

So I did pay for the car outright.

How old? 26 (but with heart of 5 year old! )
What do I do? I'm Senior Support Engineer for a company that writes security software for Apple Macintosh computers (no jokes about macs about to die, I've heard them all before)
How much? hmm, have to say abouttwentykayplus ambigious aren't I!

PS - edit was to add in my age (doh!)

[This message has been edited by Markus (edited 26 October 2000).]
Old 26 October 2000, 05:29 PM
Neil Vickers
Scooby Newbie

By all means I'll tell you how much I earn and how big my car loan is but I'd prefer to change the thread slightly......

Why oh why do people assume track=crash? I know loads of people who drive like maniacs on the road and yet won't drive on a wide piece of tarmac that goes in one direction and is roughly the same every lap. Is it that people don't trust their ability not to go faster and faster till they fall off?

I've driven track days in several cars had a great time and not crashed. I have more scary moment on the road when I come round corners and find sheep in the middle of the road or a load of diesel puddles!

Old 26 October 2000, 06:28 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

Just about the same as Munna's, Cheers dad. Except I'm 26, and the cash was part inheritance.
Old 26 October 2000, 06:41 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

my money's hard earned, but I do quite well (6 figures).

decided to buy a scoob after starting work at bmw and besides the fact I just walked in to B&C, paid a deposit and signed the finance I'm not rich enough to ignore a warranty. as it was, I paid 28K for my scoob and I think you can get an sti for 25-26K, so the logic is a bit warped.

that pot hole I hit the other day came to £521!
Old 26 October 2000, 07:21 PM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm a Busker!

Zero overheads as I live in Cardboard City.
Took me approx. 5 years to scrape enough coppers together to buy my MY99 STi V TypeR V-Ltd.

On track for 1st time at Donno. Can't bloomin wait!!!

I'll get me coat!

Cheers
Chris

Old 26 October 2000, 07:37 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

I'm glad not being the only one working for his living/car. When i read the threads lotsa guys write about choosing between a Impreza and an Evo for instance. Me scraping together the $ for a standard turbo. Debating with the wife about whats wrong with a Corrola ( ).

Nice to know i'm not the only bloke sleeping in a cardbox to pay for his transport.
Old 26 October 2000, 08:12 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Stuck a picture of the car I wanted brand new as my desktop on my Mac. Then proceeded to smash all my sales targets and saved up for a year and bought it cash. Cars a great reward for working my butt off !!

AllanB
Old 26 October 2000, 08:23 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm with the dad brigade - My dad owns a Subaru dealership and I work for him, hence the RB5 then the 00MY. He got a P1 tho and I didn't

BTW he dosen't pay enough, hope you read this dad

As for the track - I'll be there soon

David
Old 26 October 2000, 09:19 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I have my own car valeting business in Hull plus a few other interests so I generally work 14hours a day for my car. And no, it is far from being paid for but I love it. It makes my 80-90hour week worth it - I think

Scotty.
Old 26 October 2000, 09:27 PM
kurtw
Scooby Regular

I consider myself fortunate indeed. My P1 is a company car. Given the chancellors tax plans for 2002 though, I may end up buying ot off the company one day.

Hence my reluctance to thrash my company's investment around a track just yet.

Oh, and my job - IT & Operations Director for a market leading Commercial Refrigeration wholesaler. Age - 31.
Old 26 October 2000, 09:38 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

As I`m a bricklayer,I paid cash for mine after a rather lucrative contract in Egypt, pointing up the pyramids.
Old 26 October 2000, 09:49 PM
AgentO
Scooby Newbie

Electrician,28yrs old, basic of 18k p.a., (earnt £28k last year though with alot of o/t)...borrowed £10k from bank( over 4 yrs) to buy my £13k Terzo3 last week.

Old 26 October 2000, 09:52 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Decided I could afford a bank loan of about 15k. Found that would get me a 3-year old car so imported one instead for about 16.5k. Then started own company and decided to take cut in salary...

If I was sensible, I'd chop it in for a Golf TDi and save about 200 quid a month in petrol. But I think it's the only thing that keeps me sane in my 3-hour roundtrip commute. The servicing's quite cheap but the tyres aren't

Had this grand plan of doing some mods, but haven't been able to afford so far
Old 26 October 2000, 09:53 PM
karlo
Scooby Regular

Hi all,
I worked my boll**ks off and got myself a roland (205) then exchanged for a 306 xsi and finally , at the age of 28 brought 95 uk car.
Still payin for it and will be for the next 10 years!!!!!!!!
I am not goin on the track as my insurance will not cover it!!!
(is there seperate insurance for the day???)
Old 26 October 2000, 09:58 PM
PT
Scooby Regular

Geezer,
I also earnt the money to buy the scoob courtesy of Mr Gerstner et al. Where in big blue do you work (noticed a couple of other scoobies in the car parks)?

Pete
Old 26 October 2000, 09:59 PM
Paul_P
Scooby Newbie

In 1991 I had no car, but my wife (girlfriend at that time), had a Peugeot 205 Diesel.

In 1992 we traded the car in for a low mileage Fiesta XR2i. Kept that car for 3 years then traded in for a new Clio Williams. Borrowed remainder on 2 years interest free.

My wife by then had purchased a used Fiesta Flight, but in 1995 she traded it in for a new Peugeot 106 Rallye. Again the remainder on 2 years interest free.

Then my wife in 1998 bought the new 106 Rallye outright and then sold the original Rallye two months later.

By 1999 we had two well looked after cars, but not enough room for our two baby daughters so after a little persuasion, I managed to sell our two hot hatches for a staggering amount that almost covered the cost of a new MY99 UK turbo.

And that is how we got our Subaru.

My wife has a 'run around' at the moment but has promised herself something a little sportier very soon. (17 inch wheels, brake and suspension mods to the Scooby permitting off course!!!)

So all cars paid for.

Job, I work for the airline industry (in computing of course!!!)

Old 26 October 2000, 10:09 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

well i bought MY00 with cash ! on the proceeds of 2 yrs IT contracting at about 45k per year. always been in IT, 13 yrs now ! but always full time low paid jobs b4 this !

now back to full time employment and about ½ the salary

been an ambition to have a scoob for about 4 years so decided to buy it whilst i had the money even though i was had gone permanent 6 months before and could have spent the money on much more worthwhile things !!

my wife (now ex !) said i was a total idiot to contemplate over 20k on a car ! as did just about everyone else i know !!! still wot do they know eh ! have they ever driven a scoob ? no !

had a rover 216gti before bought for 7k ! always said i'd never buy new or pay more than about 12k for a hunk of metal,i mean car

still once i had a test drive of a scoob i knew i'd be spending 20k + with some lucky dealer !

now i want a P1 or Sti 6 as 215 bhp is not enough ! maybe an Evo, gonna go test drive one v soon.

cheers

steve - oh yeah, 31 !
ps markus not the rudest question i've ever been asked but we wont get into that on a public bbs

pps not at BH tomorrow cos gotta work to buy petrol 4 the scoob so i'll call u a cheeky.....!! anyway
Old 26 October 2000, 10:11 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

31 year old Electrical Engineer earn around 32k. Housing etc cheap in the Midlands so hve a bit of spare cash although I never save any.

Subaru Finance beat all other deals to lend me 8k towards my Scoob

Cheers
Lee
Old 26 October 2000, 10:14 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Pete,
I am a recent convert (press ganged!) to IBM, on an outsourcing contract. I work in Cheshire.

Geezer
Old 26 October 2000, 10:17 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Steve Perriam:
<B>always said i'd never buy new or pay more than about 12k for a hunk of metal,i mean car

still once i had a test drive of a scoob i knew i'd be spending 20k + with some lucky dealer !
[/quote]

Ooh! Me too

Always said I'd never buy new (though perhaps new from Holland doesn't count) and I've always thought the theory of spending 500 quid on a car and throwing it away when it packs up was the best (never done it though). When I think of how many repairs I could have done for the 5 grand in depreciation I've probably lost by now...

However, test drove one and was hooked. Pulled out of a layby in Chelmsford with the hammer down, looked behind to see how fast stuff was catching up, looked at the rev counter and it was just short of the limiter. Couldn't believe it. The things we do for love.

How did you live with lusting after a Scoob for four years? I think I was about 18 months from start to finish, and it was hell.

[This message has been edited by carl (edited 26 October 2000).]
Old 26 October 2000, 11:25 PM
Kevin2000
Scooby Regular

Smile

The people who have been bought Subarus by their parents really really annoy me.Fact is it aint really your car.And you might say well I work 50 hours a week and thats all well and good but you aint using any of the money earned to pay for the car.Then the guy who has an RB5 and then a MYOO is complaining about the fact that its not a P1, awwwwwww poor you.
Old 27 October 2000, 12:19 AM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

yes me...i have my wife...my angel of a daughter..and my ScooB...making me the richest man in the world!!...all be it rich in happiness and not money.Does that count??
Old 27 October 2000, 12:30 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

If it was not for the wife, kids, cars, house, social life etc

I would be.

I do miss living with the parents sometimes !!

Quick Reply: A very rude question