ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MY06 Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2006, 04:58 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY06 Disaster

Supposed to pick my STI up today, supermarket is 250 miles from where I live. Get halfway there and then get a call saying I can't pick it up as the engine won't start - some kind of electrical problem. (still turns over)

Now it's off on a transporter tomorrow to be fixed at a Subaru dealer apparently.

I have now incurred costs of petrol, have to insure my existing car for an extra week, lost a days income (IT contractor) and will possibly be getting a lemon.

Can I reject a car that has already been registered in my name?

And any recommendations on what I should do?
Old 20 April 2006, 05:12 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

It doesn't bode well for the future but it could be a minor problem I guess.

I would be seriously put off
Old 20 April 2006, 05:17 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

If you've only placed a deposit, then walk away. You may even get it back considering (Unlikely though)
I had the same thing a few weeks ago. Agreed to buy a brand new Clio 182 from a dealer as I was going to sell my scoob (Long story). Anyway the day before i was supposed to pick it up, I rang to cancel it. Dealer threatened to still bill me for the car. Nothing came of it though.
I hadn't signed anything, so I wasn't tied legaly.

If your unhappy, just walk away. Deposit lost, later grief spared
Old 20 April 2006, 05:19 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Wink

Did they switch the immobilizer off?
Old 20 April 2006, 05:19 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

look on the bright side, at least they called you en route. It's just one of those thing's, I'm sure it will be worth the wait

I assume you have a warranty period if it goes wrong again ?

Allan
Old 20 April 2006, 05:26 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

It'll be under warranty, it's just a gamble.

I'll definitely ask to see any details for work done or parts replaced just to see how serious it was. (and to make sure that it was done by a genuine Subaru dealer)

Just annoying because I ordered a fortnight ago mainly because it was in stock, would have though they would have checked it and got it ready before the actual day rather than a couple of hours before.
Old 20 April 2006, 06:14 PM
chrisola
Scooby Regular

on the older cars the immobiliser used to cause probs if you were parked near a radio transmitter.. think that was sorted (id HOPE its sorted anyway) for a new car!

Hopefully its something simple like a dud battery and all will be well, if not, WALK away, you can get a new MY06 from somewhere else (and probably cheaper than a car supermarket..)
Old 20 April 2006, 06:17 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Supposed to pick my STI up today, supermarket is 250 miles from where I live. Get halfway there and then get a call saying I can't pick it up as the engine won't start - some kind of electrical problem. (still turns over)

Now it's off on a transporter tomorrow to be fixed at a Subaru dealer apparently.

I have now incurred costs of petrol, have to insure my existing car for an extra week, lost a days income (IT contractor) and will possibly be getting a lemon.

PS Lewis warned someone about buying from a supermarket

Last edited by sarasquares; 20 April 2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 20 April 2006, 06:21 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

I remember having to have a brand new car returned to the dealer on a low loader within 24 hours of picking it up. Was a stupid fault, some foreign object in the ignition barrel caused the key to jam. Car gave very few problems in the next 3 years. A depressing start to new car ownership I agree, but chin up, may prove to be nothing to worry about.
Old 20 April 2006, 06:32 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

The MY06 STI's JDM & UK coak up very easily so it could be something very simple.

Iain
Old 20 April 2006, 06:34 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
PS Lewis warned someone about buying from a supermarket
A faulty car has absolutely nothing to do with the dealer/supermarket, it's just the luck of the draw. They all come off the same assembly line.

A friend had his Golf engine fail after 20 miles, they had to replace the engine and he was without a car weeks, it then ran perfectly for years.
Old 20 April 2006, 06:58 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

a new engine usually does run for years
Old 20 April 2006, 07:00 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Why let it wind you up, it's annoying sure, but could just have easily have happened last week and got fixed without you knowing, suggestion of walking away and losing a deposit is crazy.. expect a few niggles with a new car, does not mean it is a total lemon
Old 20 April 2006, 07:16 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
a new engine usually does run for years
It's an example that even a total catastrophe of a car can turn out to be good.
Old 20 April 2006, 07:22 PM
*AL*
Scooby Regular

I can imagine how very disappointing you are feeling, find what the problem was before walking away.I had my MY03 only a few days........and the big ends went!! Beat that!
Old 20 April 2006, 08:16 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I sympathise but tut-tut you should have bought from a main Subaru dealer. When will people realise that the margin of depreciation is exactly the same whether you buy an import or buy through IM at one of its many friendly and efficient dealerships. You may save a few quid on purchase but it will depreciate by the same amount if not more, especially as main dealers don't like parallel imports.

You have been a fool and it has cost you this time.
Old 20 April 2006, 08:27 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluto22b
I sympathise but tut-tut you should have bought from a main Subaru dealer. When will people realise that the margin of depreciation is exactly the same whether you buy an import or buy through IM at one of its many friendly and efficient dealerships. You may save a few quid on purchase but it will depreciate by the same amount if not more, especially as main dealers don't like parallel imports.

You have been a fool and it has cost you this time.
Yes, it's true and if I could turn back time I would. But unfortunately I've gone and spent the money saved on a luxury 2 week holiday in Thailand and pre-allocated PFF7s, Prodrive springs and a new exhaust. All that's left of my £5000 of savings is £1500, which is almost enough to repair a piano.

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 21 April 2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 20 April 2006, 08:32 PM
Al Coholic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LitchfieldImports
The MY06 STI's JDM & UK coke up very easily so it could be something very simple.

Iain
Do you mean like Pete Doherty?
Old 20 April 2006, 08:37 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Red face

Yes, it's true and if I could turn back time I would. But unfortunately I've gone and spent the money saved on a luxury 2 week holiday in Thailand and pre-allocated PFF7s, Prodrive springs and a new exhaust. All that's left of my £5000 of savings is £1500, which is almost enough to repair a piano.
Now you are hitting below the belt My Bosendorfer will NOT depreciate though and will last for many years to come. I bought it from a reputable dealer too.
Old 20 April 2006, 09:03 PM
ForesterBoy
Scooby Regular

I have now incurred costs of petrol, have to insure my existing car for an extra week, lost a days income
I cannot see why you are worried about the cost of a little drop of petrol, a bit of insurance and a days wages, when you're all set to loose a few grand on a new car anyway

Anyway, like others have said just stick with it, it's just one of those things that its played up
Old 20 April 2006, 10:00 PM
deano555
Scooby Regular

When I picked my new my03 wrx up, I was very p1ssed off that 5th gear crunched, It went in had a new 5th gear and synchro, and that was its only visit to the dealer in three years apart from service work. I've now got a my06 wrx and this is even better, stick with it i'm sure it will be fine.
P.S. i fix bmw's for a living and we have a few teething problems on pdi, so its probably nothing to worry about.

Deano.
Old 20 April 2006, 11:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Oh Dear ..... who should have bought a proper one from a proper UK main dealer then????

Sounds like you have got yourself a lemon, chances are it will be a 2005 car anyway.

Lets see how interested the 'Supermarket' will be in a refund??!!

And lets see about the 'instant' service you will get at a Subaru Main Dealer ...... your car will go to the back of the queue, sorry - but thats the way the cookie crumbles!

Hope you get it sorted, but I DID try and warn you ..... seen plenty of times people getting fingers burnt buying Imports and at Supermarkets!!

Pete
Old 21 April 2006, 12:04 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

KiwiGTI - maybe you would like to warn this poster against buying from a car supermarket and/or an Import???? :-

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=509061&page=3

Pete
Old 21 April 2006, 12:22 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

And lets see about the 'instant' service you will get at a Subaru Main Dealer ...... your car will go to the back of the queue, sorry - but thats the way the cookie crumbles!
Yes, it will be interesting. I've only the deposit to lose, and according to the terms and conditions it is fully refundable.

I'll wait and find out what is wrong with it, as for the 'instant' service it doesn't really bother me, if they come back tomorrow and say it'll be a fortnight then I'll just walk from the deal.

But as I said it could happen to any car, even ones from main dealers.
Old 21 April 2006, 09:39 AM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pslewis
Oh Dear ..... who should have bought a proper one from a proper UK main dealer then????

Sounds like you have got yourself a lemon, chances are it will be a 2005 car anyway.

Hope you get it sorted, but I DID try and warn you ..... seen plenty of times people getting fingers burnt buying Imports and at Supermarkets!!

Pete
Couldn't have put it better myself
Old 21 April 2006, 09:59 AM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Location: Holder of six fairy tokens, from the land of green ginger

Hi kiwi........hope someone at supermarket has registered your car for warranty at IM or you could be waiting ages for a repair........might be worth asking them if they've done this or if they expect you to do so. Now they've made their profit it's probably going to be down to you I'm afraid.

CC
Old 21 April 2006, 10:11 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by comic cuts
Hi kiwi........hope someone at supermarket has registered your car for warranty at IM or you could be waiting ages for a repair........might be worth asking them if they've done this or if they expect you to do so. Now they've made their profit it's probably going to be down to you I'm afraid.

CC
No, I'm not concerned at all, I've never ever seen the car so I can just cancel the whole deal at anytime. They haven't made any profit off me yet.
Old 21 April 2006, 10:36 AM
ZippyLane
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Pete

Why are you such an ****.? People get their fingers burnt from all sources of car dealership.. I seem to recall you calling a certain dealer "*****"...
He'll hopefully find it's his only problem and he can give you the driving home with money in his pocket..

Old 21 April 2006, 10:50 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Why or why or why do people carry on feeding the trolls? You know it just makes them more eager to spout bs...

I'm sure the car will be fine btw
Old 21 April 2006, 12:08 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Jamesemt
Why or why or why do people carry on feeding the trolls? You know it just makes them more eager to spout bs...

I'm sure the car will be fine btw
No one is being a troll as far as I can see. PS Lewis and I are stating FACT

End of story, (and end of thread hopefully )

Blutes

Quick Reply: MY06 Disaster