Swearing Police

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2006, 12:40 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Swearing Police

As asked in another thread......

I have been called a w****r more than once by a police officer, and i know a few of my friends have been called the same (and c**ts) aswell.

Are the Police allowed to swear like this?

Any Police officers on here wish to answer?

(ps.....they said my friends and myself a sad w****rs as we spend a lot of money on our cars, we weren't actually doing anything wrong at all)
Old 03 January 2006, 01:15 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

There are some Policemen and women out there that like to provoke a reaction...to get some "action".

Some are completely ignorant to the fact that they are doing it. Bit like the way boxers pent themselves in a fight. It's all about the adrenalin, and some coppers do get pumped up with a bit too much for my liking - which affects their judgment, control and makes them likely to create a reaction from a member of the public rather than difusing a situation. They want something to happen, and they are ready to jump on you the split second that you give them an excuse to.

However there are some very good Police out there that do have an ability of self control. Whether you meet one though is a bit hit and miss in terms of luck

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 January 2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03 January 2006, 04:01 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
As asked in another thread......

I have been called a w****r more than once by a police officer, and i know a few of my friends have been called the same (and c**ts) aswell.

Are the Police allowed to swear like this?

Any Police officers on here wish to answer?

(ps.....they said my friends and myself a sad w****rs as we spend a lot of money on our cars, we weren't actually doing anything wrong at all)
Its not professional conduct Gary, but there is little stopping them to be honest. If it really brasses you off, you should take it up politely with the officer- they may have the good grace to apologise. If they persist, ask for their name, badge number and station and write to the superintendent claiming that there actions are extremely unprofessional, unnecessary, provocative, and not in keeping with good community policing.

The police I've spoken to have always been polite. I would certainly pull them up on it if they aren't; there's simply no reason to be rude with people -who are doing no harm- from the outset, it only damages their reputation and makes a tough job more difficult.

NS04
Old 03 January 2006, 04:17 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

if he fvcked your day up then reciprocate with ***** on, a little complaint from you in your best hand writing should at least have him report writing to some extent.
double bonus if you can get it in just as he thinks he's gunning for a promotion
Old 03 January 2006, 04:42 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Badge number? Thatll be a collar number in England..... A Police officer is guilty of a criminal offence if he:

Uses threatening, abusive, insulting words or disorderly behaviour.....
.....within the hearing or sight of person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress

Under Section:5 of the Public Order Act 1986.

Simon
Old 03 January 2006, 04:47 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GC8
Badge number? Thatll be a collar number in England..... A Police officer is guilty of a criminal offence if he:

Uses threatening, abusive, insulting words or disorderly behaviour.....
.....within the hearing or sight of person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress

Under Section:5 of the Public Order Act 1986.

Simon
First step in upholding the law is adhering to it eh?

*sings* bad cops, bad cops, whatcha gonna do when they come for you!
Old 03 January 2006, 04:54 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

if you are telling us everything then the attitude and behaviour of the officers in this situation is without doubt totally unreasonable and if i had been spoken too like that i would be making a formal complaint, however i find it a little unusual that that you would be spoken to in this manner without you behaving in an unreasonable manner, are you sure you didnt wind the bobbys up?
Old 03 January 2006, 05:07 PM
Isoproturon
Scooby Regular

There is no reason a police officer should be able to swear at you, and vice versa. But members of the public don't see it like that - quite often they think they can say what they like, and then start moaning when they get locked up and fined for s.5 POA.

As has been said, if it bothers you that much, get their collar number and complain. It is fair to say it is unprofessional in the least.
Old 03 January 2006, 05:20 PM
Moley
Sponsor

It doesn't really bother me that much, was quite a while ago when it happened. Just a bit annoying when they abuse their power to be rude and sarcastic, knowing that if i was to get lippy back i would regret it.

I am never rude to the police, as i know that if i was i'd regret it, just a case of grin and bear it.

And Bob, i know it is hard to believe, but i wasn't doing anything wrong at all. Just a well known fact in the area i live there are 2 or 3 police officers who are known they abuse their position, even a fellow officer of theirs told me there are a few like it.

And they wonder why they have no respect from the public anymore.
Old 03 January 2006, 06:52 PM
geoffc
Scooby Newbie

Next time they stop you get your phone out ready most modern phones allow you to record voice or video and then you can catch them in the act
Old 03 January 2006, 07:48 PM
John57
Scooby Regular

If they swear at you and you genuinely know you are not in any way to blame for his outburst or attitude just be polite, get their number and write a brief letter to complain. Don't go overboard, just point out what happenned it's not professional, etc.

If people complain repeatedly about the same officer it does get noted and their Inspector will get very fed up having to deal with it.
Old 03 January 2006, 08:09 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

I dont mind if they do, if there swear at u means ur probaly not gona get done for nething!

When I had just started driving I was unable to get out the way of a police car with blues n twos on quick enough and after going past me then gt to the end of the road (must have be told he ws no longer needed) turned round and came after me! He pulled me over and came up 2 the window and really let me have it! Best bit was when he asked if I was wearing my seatbelt, (took it off to get out of the car, bt was to slow) WhenI replied yes he said "well thats a f in shame u little ******"! Think he wanted me to crash!
I thought he was goning to aresst me.
Only one of 2 bad experiences with the police tho which is good. N I do know some top notch coppers! Rustle u are not included!
Old 03 January 2006, 08:11 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Just perform a citizens arrest under sec 5.

make sure anything he says is written down,

oh and have your mobile recording at all times

Mart
Old 03 January 2006, 08:13 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Easy : If you get pulled by plod. set your mobile recording audio. Make him confirm his details verablly. Catch it on tape and then send it to the complaints department.
Old 03 January 2006, 09:31 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had a simular thing happen to me, my advice is just get over it

I was probably the 10th "****" he'd dealt with that shift and lost it also frustrated as he couldn't nick me. As said, hoping for a reaction which he could have the booked me for

like in all walks of life "x" are horrible after a bad day "x" are just horrible and the rest OK who do a thankless Job.
Old 03 January 2006, 09:41 PM
Isoproturon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Just perform a citizens arrest under sec 5.

make sure anything he says is written down,

oh and have your mobile recording at all times

Mart

Don't think you would managed an any person's arrest for s5 TBH
Old 03 January 2006, 09:42 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Isoproturon
There is no reason a police officer should be able to swear at you, and vice versa. But members of the public don't see it like that - quite often they think they can say what they like, and then start moaning when they get locked up and fined for s.5 POA.

As has been said, if it bothers you that much, get their collar number and complain. It is fair to say it is unprofessional in the least.
Sectio:5 of the Public Order Act 1986 has to be the most abused piece of legislation ever..... I wouldnt dream of speaking to a Police officer in the way that some do; but how many people are arrested for using bad language in normal conversation? Its commonly used as a means to bully and harrass people (who may well be *****/scrubbers); and that in itself isnt acceptable.

Simon
Old 03 January 2006, 09:46 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Isoproturon
Don't think you would managed an any person's arrest for s5 TBH
If its an 'arrestable offence' (going back to before absolutely everything was an arrestable offence...) then surely a member of the public has the same authority as a Police officer? Whether it is an 'arrestable offence' I dont know, although Ive seen plenty of people dragged into vans and taken away with this been the only reason given.....

Simon
Old 03 January 2006, 10:40 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GC8
If its an 'arrestable offence' (going back to before absolutely everything was an arrestable offence...) then surely a member of the public has the same authority as a Police officer? Whether it is an 'arrestable offence' I dont know, although Ive seen plenty of people dragged into vans and taken away with this been the only reason given.....

Simon
IIRC An "arrestable offence" is one which, upon conviction, carries a sentence of five years or more imprisonment.

Quite harsh for swearing!

NS04
Old 03 January 2006, 11:31 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You are, of course, correct but Im extremely tired.....
Six months imprisonment or a Level 4 fine / £80 fixed penalty (S:4a / S:5).

Simon
Old 04 January 2006, 12:01 AM
Cecil
Scooby Newbie

I am a police officer and like to think that i talk to people how I would like to be spoken too.

It makes me laugh though how people say they have no respect or have lost respect blah blah blah and then say police have had a go at them. If you have no respect for someone it usually shows maybe thats where the problem starts.

I find that this seems to be te problem in general people do not respect each other not just police.

Having said that i do realise that there are alot of arrogant police officers who are better than everyone else... If they do swear or speak out of turn complain.

Sorry if my comments anger anyone

Simon
Old 05 January 2006, 01:52 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GC8
You are, of course, correct but Im extremely tired.....
Six months imprisonment or a Level 4 fine / £80 fixed penalty (S:4a / S:5).

Simon
Looks like I may be a little out of date!!

NS04
Old 05 January 2006, 01:56 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Youre still correct in that the new powers apply to Police officers only.

Simon
Old 05 January 2006, 02:04 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GC8
Youre still correct in that the new powers apply to Police officers only.

Simon
*puts vigilante bat down*

Deytoooooookmyjerrrrrrrrrb!

NS04
Old 05 January 2006, 02:04 PM
Moley
Sponsor

[quote=T5NYW]I've had a simular thing happen to me, my advice is just get over it quote]

I am well and truly over it, just posted it to make a point (had been raised on another thread).

Yes it is probably found in every profession, but when did you ever hear of a paramedic or fireman calling someone a w****r.
Old 05 January 2006, 02:06 PM
New_scooby_04

[quote=Moley_WRX]
Originally Posted by T5NYW
I've had a simular thing happen to me, my advice is just get over it quote]

I am well and truly over it, just posted it to make a point (had been raised on another thread).

Yes it is probably found in every profession, but when did you ever hear of a fireman calling someone a w****r.
When I told one to:

"Get back to work you slacker" during the last round of strikes!!

NS04
Old 05 January 2006, 02:08 PM
Moley
Sponsor

[quote=New_scooby_04]
Originally Posted by Moley_WRX

When I told one to:

"Get back to work you slacker" during the last round of strikes!!

NS04
Old 05 January 2006, 02:30 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

Police are only human at the end of the day, who are trained to be highly professional in all situations come stress or not, but there will always a very minority who may go over top, or have had a very difficult day where their language may not be acceptable, and as mentioned, it warrants a complaint for their management to keep an eye on.

Most Police are normal just like you and me, just carrying out one of the most diffcult and stressfull jobs around. I always think that for anyone who has no respect for them, or anything good to say about them in general, why don't they try doing the job themselves? (thats not a dig at anyone here BTW, just general).
Old 05 January 2006, 02:39 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by nisr227
Police are only human at the end of the day, who are trained to be highly professional in all situations come stress or not, but there will always a very minority who may go over top, or have had a very difficult day where their language may not be acceptable, and as mentioned, it warrants a complaint for their management to keep an eye on.

Most Police are normal just like you and me, just carrying out one of the most diffcult and stressfull jobs around. I always think that for anyone who has no respect for them, or anything good to say about them in general, why don't they try doing the job themselves? (thats not a dig at anyone here BTW, just general).
Fair play mate , i know 99% of the police are fine.

(The only thing i will say is that if the officer is so stressed that he feels that he need to be offensive to an innocent member of the public, then maybe he/she is in the wrong job???? People who join the police must know it will not be the easiest job in the world when they apply.)
Old 05 January 2006, 02:45 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They could just be stating a fact??

I mean, come on, who ISN'T a ******?? Hands off and up!!

Although I too think modified cars are funny ...... they really shouldn't snigger at them

Pete

Quick Reply: Swearing Police