Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Newbie to scooby here saying hello!

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2006, 01:26 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to scooby here saying hello!

Hello everyone - just like to say having read through a lot of the posts this is a great forum and a real friendly community

Just bought a new wrx300. Hopefully will be picking it up end of next week.

Looking forward to getting that first 1000 miles done and the ppp pack installed and having some serious fun...
Old 02 January 2006, 01:30 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SN, only been on here a couple of months myself but all seems like a good helpful bunch

Nearly bought a WRX300 myself but got jerked around by my dealer so went elsewhere & bought an STi instead.

Shouldn't the PPP be on the car when you pick it up?? Mine would have been.

Dave
Old 02 January 2006, 01:42 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave,

re: ppp : I was surprised at that myself but the dealer said that I could have it fitted before or after collection but that he recommended I do the 1000 mile run in first and have it fitted when they change the oil. I suppose that way the first time I lay down the power it's really going to go for it.

4.8secs 0-62 though is going to be mighty impressive if it holds true - I guess the fact it's a 100kgs lighter than the sti is the only reason for the extra margin I can think off...
I have already firmly ruled out any drop clutch standing starts though!!
Old 02 January 2006, 02:52 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

When I started test driving Impreza's I wasn't that impressed by the standard WRX, had a go in the same car PPP'd which was much more like it, hence the WRX300. Then after being buggered around I decided to try a S/H STi, liked the standard one a lot & decided that was the one for me. Found & bought a (what I thought was standard STi) which turned out was PPP'd which I paid standard money for so quite happy with that 4.6 to 60 evidentally so not a great deal of difference...

Have fun
Old 02 January 2006, 03:37 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

wow - that's quick! plus am I right in thinking the sti has better brakes and suspension than the wrx300 ?

For me my only concern is how tough it's going to be. I had a few rules like never revving hard in 1st, not dumping the clutch etc but I do live to 'on occasion' drive hard (but not brutually if you take my drift).

my last car was an 1984 911 carrera 3.2 and that was a 5.2s 0-60 but incredibly quick all the way through the range and a superb drivers car. The porsche was very light just 1160kg at 240bhp which equates to about 206bhp per tonne vs wrx 1395kg at 261bhp which is 187bhp per tonne - yet on paper the wrx is faster. The 911 was just bulletproof - in 20k + miles I never had a single issue with it mechanically. It's been a toss up between another porsche and the scooby - let's hope I did the right thing!
I seriously hope the wrx will live up to the porsche's longevity and strength and sheer relentless pace.
Old 02 January 2006, 03:46 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

If you spend all your time worrying about 0-60 life will get very boring very quickly.
Old 02 January 2006, 04:46 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

I just found the STi a better drive than the WRX, a lot on here have said the same, felt more errrr sporty..Yes has better brakes & suspension. I doubt I ever exploit the extra's but just felt nicer & more of what I wanted out of a car. I came from a S1 Elise though so was quite used to hard uncompramising ride, Subaru feels very well built and heavy compared to the 740KG Elise Huge fun when you give it some Sure you have made the right decision, you'll love it.

Originally Posted by flynnstudio
wow - that's quick! plus am I right in thinking the sti has better brakes and suspension than the wrx300 ?

For me my only concern is how tough it's going to be. I had a few rules like never revving hard in 1st, not dumping the clutch etc but I do live to 'on occasion' drive hard (but not brutually if you take my drift).

my last car was an 1984 911 carrera 3.2 and that was a 5.2s 0-60 but incredibly quick all the way through the range and a superb drivers car. The porsche was very light just 1160kg at 240bhp which equates to about 206bhp per tonne vs wrx 1395kg at 261bhp which is 187bhp per tonne - yet on paper the wrx is faster. The 911 was just bulletproof - in 20k + miles I never had a single issue with it mechanically. It's been a toss up between another porsche and the scooby - let's hope I did the right thing!
I seriously hope the wrx will live up to the porsche's longevity and strength and sheer relentless pace.
Old 02 January 2006, 06:12 PM
scogsywrx
Scooby Regular

hello and welcome mate....
Old 02 January 2006, 06:29 PM
devo012
Scooby Newbie

Hi and welcome to the forum

Mark
Old 02 January 2006, 07:18 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys..

...nice to know your sti has firmly filled the 740kg hole!!

I'm planning my first 1000 miles already!...
Old 02 January 2006, 07:19 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

Hello!
Old 02 January 2006, 07:28 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SN

I know a guy in South Wales who drives a new WRX300 and it's a nice car, shifts too as you'd expect.

Did you manage to get the UK300 prodrive spoiler or is it the low-level standard spoiler? (makes a big difference to the look of the car).

The STi has uprated springs, etc (actually quite a lot more as well) so is a firmer ride. I've got a bugeye WRX and have had Eibach springs fitted and an ecutek remap so will be getting similar power to you once you've had PPP fitted.

I'm sure you'll feel a massive difference with the PPP, it makes it a completely different driving experience (obviously for the better )
Old 02 January 2006, 09:24 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome mate, enjoy
Old 02 January 2006, 09:49 PM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the site, get some pics up!!

Ben
Old 02 January 2006, 11:45 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Standard spoiler but I like that. I plan to keep it as stock as possible - maybe only considering Prodrive springs and brakes if I quickly hit their upper limits or find them lacking.

I'm really interested to find it's higher handling limits - but saying that it took me over 2 years to significantly raise the cornering limit on my 911 to what I consider was about 9.5/10th's of it's capabilities. I thought I was a good driver until I started to drive that car fast and hard - boy was I wrong!

What I really have little comprehension of is how the wrx handles on the corners at high speed. The 911 would always need you to keep the power down in a high speed corner and the rear wheels would begin to bark and it would begin to sort of twitch as if it had jumped an inch or so outward at the back end when it was close to letting go. You had to get the line absolutely 100% right for the speed you were doing every time. With the 911 there was no second chance when you were driving close to it's upper limits but I'm hoping the wrx is a little more forgiving and exhibits a lot more drift potential and that it loses grip a lot more progressively. From my test drive experience it does seem to allow you to sort of 'rip through' corners a lot more than the classical straight line but I probably only drove it at about 5/10ths of it's limits (naturally!)

Any of your experiences/stories on upper limit handling characteristics would be great to read...you know the 'I almost lost it' sort of stories 'but this is how I brought it back from the abyss'!!

Anyway, will post some piccies once I've got her..
Old 03 January 2006, 09:42 AM
Mikkk
Scooby Regular

Welcome to ScoobyNet