Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Running costs - UK turbo Vs STI V5/6?

Old 13 May 2005, 11:45 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Running costs - UK turbo Vs STI V5/6?

Recent posts have been asking about the driving differences between UK turbos, STI V5 and Type R etc.

However, what about the running costs of STIs compared to UK turbos?

Double the insurance - I have to declare a DR10 until Feb 06 £600 - £1200)
Double the fuel bill - sub 20mpg compared to good 30+mpg with the UK car.
Increased risk of the engine/box going bang?

Mega performance increase, DCCD to play around with and avoid hedges?

Why not stick to a car I've had for 2 years which I know is in good condition and unlikely to cause great concern and just spend £1500 on the handling and brakes?
Old 13 May 2005, 12:15 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
Recent posts have been asking about the driving differences between UK turbos, STI V5 and Type R etc.

Why not stick to a car I've had for 2 years which I know is in good condition and unlikely to cause great concern and just spend £1500 on the handling and brakes?
30mpg in a UK turbo!?!? You must be driving like a saint mate!! I think the STi will do a few less MPG but it won't be half.

Insurance may well be approaching double as it's group 20 as opposed to group 17 and some companies have got very cold feet with Group 20 cars now. There are still good deal to be had though, depending on your age and NCB. (forgive my ignorance , what's a DR10?)

Get one that's been remapped for UK fuel or always run with OB and a knocklink to keep an eye on things and you shouldn't have much more chance of it going bang.

Performance is better (but you could upgrade the UK turbo to similar performance reliably for not a huge amount of money) No DCCD though......but that might mean you're less likely to get carried away and have a meeting with a hedge!

One thing to bare in mind: the market for shifting Scoobies is flat at the moment, so you might not get what you want for the car. If you've just lavished 1.5k on your car, I think you should consider upgrading the power and keeping it!

What brake upgrade did you get? AP?

Best,

NS04
Old 13 May 2005, 12:31 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Haven't done anything with the car recently. DR10 is drink drive ban back in Feb 01.

Body mods - front splitter, coded sills, 17s, flaps and sti rears. Std rear spoiler - gone off V6 spoiler and foldy mirrors.
engine - is decat, panel filter, DV and tek2
Lots of autometer gauges, KL etc inside.

The suspension is standard and the brakes are standard. With £1500 I could get all the usual whiteline goodies along with eibachs and a set of KYB AGXs and if I find some good 2nd hand deals I could get a decent brake upgrade into the budget i.e. godspeed 325 kit. Fit it all myself which will keep costs down and then up to powerstation to get it all set up properly.

At least then, I've stayed with a car I know and trust (better the devil you know etc) and I haven't mucked about with the engine. I will look at engine mods but only if I have enough left over for unforseen engine/gearbox failures.

Or just junk it altogether and buy a type R instead. Or go on holiday and stuff the car altogether!!
Old 13 May 2005, 12:32 PM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Angry

DR 10 is drink driving.
Old 13 May 2005, 12:35 PM
NewLabour
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BLACK V5
DR 10 is drink driving.
One word springs to mind 'indoctrination" try thinking for yourself for once.

He said DR10 was DUI. People make me sick with their holier than though bullsh1t attitude over drink driving. Sometimes people make a mistake and perhaps they should know better but unless they actually killed/injured someone I can think of worse things happening in the world today.

BTW I've never been caught drink driving and wouldn't do it on a public road. I have however spent some happy times sand duning in Dubai while p1ssed out of my mind.
Old 13 May 2005, 12:38 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Please keep the thread on topic.

Many thanks
Old 13 May 2005, 01:00 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

MPG in UK turbo of similar age i.e. MY99 is about 25. Cane it and can drop to 12.
This is mainly due to gearing.
Other running costs would be the same. Tyres are eaten in about the same mileage and servicing is the same although a Jap spec car may cost more to service but probably not once you have found a suitable place for servicing. All IMHO of course.
Old 13 May 2005, 01:02 PM
MattPiece
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by EddScott

I went from a classic UK MY98 4dr to a classic STi V 5dr. Differences?

- Went from Group 17 to Group 20 insurance. About £100 more for me (35yrs, full NCB, etc)
- Servicing was a bit cheaper (dealer v Len @ Subaru4You )
- MPG was lower as I used more of the power, IYKWIM . But, now I'm doing a 40mile commute at a constant 80mph, I get 27mpg (remapped for UK fuel BTW). Like for like though, the fuel mpg is slightly lower with an STi.
- Far rarer!

I have spent a fair amount on the STi recently as its nearing 80K miles. New turbo, decat system, filter, remap - essentially stuff that costs the same for a UK turbo. If powers your thing, you can spec an STi V with the above mods to around 350 bhp. A UK turbo may need more engine mods to get that figure.

Thus, I would say the STi costs a bit more (mainly insurance) than the UK turbo, but can you put a price on power and fun??!

Last edited by MattPiece; 13 May 2005 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 13 May 2005, 01:04 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were buying with no scooby then I would go for the STi any day but if you already have a UK turbo then I dont think you would see the benifit from selling yours and getting one.
Old 13 May 2005, 01:05 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hassle of getting yours sold then finding an nice STi that has been looked after etc. I did consider it too at one point but I know my UK as I have owned it for 4 years so changing it would have me worried about how the owner of the new one had treated it (leaading to possible big bills!)