ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

300 bhp from a WRX

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2005, 12:01 AM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300 bhp from a WRX

Guys, what/who would you recommend to see about getting 300bhp from a '02 WRX and how much do you reckon it would cost?
Old 14 January 2005, 12:22 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

300 not a good figure 280bhp ish would be remap , decat, air filter
ecu tek remap £700 ish
full decat exhaust system £500 ish , second hand
pannel filter £50

330bhp would also need sti turbo, injectors and intercooler

vf35 turbo £350 ish second hand
STI 8 intercooler £200 ish second hand
STI 8 injectors £300 ish second hand
Old 14 January 2005, 10:12 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Pump and reg too.

MB
Old 14 January 2005, 06:56 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

One recorded case of 312bhp at PE's rollers with exhaust, panel filter, fuel pump and APS TMIC on the standard turbo. Two other cases I know of with 298 and 299 at PE on the standard turbo (one of those also had the APS TMIC). Mine - like several others - makes mid-low 280s on PEs rollers, second occasion I was there it was only 1bhp behind an STi PPP.

However, I'd lay decent odds against making 300 at some other rolling roads (e.g. powerstation, at least before they moved)
Old 14 January 2005, 07:14 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

It would of course, cost you nothing had you bought a real car, like an Evo

Don't waste yer money on more power, get some decent brakes instead.
Old 14 January 2005, 07:30 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Did the original question say "I want a faster car that is less easy to live with day to day than a WRX"? Did anyone say whether they had already upgraded the brakes? (I know I have). You could always try just being helpful.
Old 14 January 2005, 07:35 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hades
Did the original question say "I want a faster car that is less easy to live with day to day than a WRX"? Did anyone say whether they had already upgraded the brakes? (I know I have). You could always try just being helpful.
5 internet pounds say he hadn't thought of upgrading the brakes first, so few do, so I think I was being helpful

If he wants an 'easy to live with car' why look to upgrade his WRX? Why not buy a car that was actually designed for 300bhp in the first place?
Old 14 January 2005, 07:47 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Bet you ten internet pounds you'd have bet I hadn't thought of upgrading the brakes if I hadn't already said I had! Just goes to show you never know.

Personally, I find my mildly modded 02 WRX (284bhp but with a quiet exhaust, tweaked brakes etc) is a much better compromise for doing plenty of long journeys and occassional fun than an EVO would be. The mods make the car much more pleasant to drive with 260lbft come 70mph in top gear, for example. If I wanted a quick car for weekends, EVO would be higher on my list than WRX, but still below e.g. Caterham or Noble. EVO's are great, but not the right compromise for everybody. Same with WRX's, modded or otherwise.

Anyway, we digress. The poster was asking how to get ~ 300bhp out of an 02WRX. The answers are potentially above.
Old 14 January 2005, 07:59 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

Bet you ten internet pounds you'd have bet I hadn't thought of upgrading the brakes if I hadn't already said I had! Just goes to show you never know.

Personally, I find my mildly modded 02 WRX (284bhp but with a quiet exhaust, tweaked brakes etc) is a much better compromise for doing plenty of long journeys and occassional fun than an EVO would be. The mods make the car much more pleasant to drive with 260lbft come 70mph in top gear, for example. If I wanted a quick car for weekends, EVO would be higher on my list than WRX, but still below e.g. Caterham or Noble. EVO's are great, but not the right compromise for everybody. Same with WRX's, modded or otherwise.

Anyway, we digress. The poster was asking how to get ~ 300bhp out of an 02WRX. The answers are potentially above.
I'll double your bet to 20 pounds and say that my bet is one of the safest bets there is generally. So many go down the route of increasing power when better brakes would actually make the car 'quicker' to drive

Living with an Evo day to day? Well the wife drives hers daily, it's one of the few cars our kids are not travel sick in. Having covered about 40k miles in a 5 & previously a 6 really don't see the issue about living with them.

Any way, back on topic, the answer is, ask yourself why you want 300bhp? what about 287.5 or 319.6? Get some brakes or trade it in and buy a car that was built for it in the first place, like an Evo. Or even save up for a fast car
Old 14 January 2005, 08:27 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Much safer bets include someone tomorrow posting "which exhaust?" or "I just got done for speeding, how do I get off?" But seriously, I can't deny many people ignore the brakes, agree they need tweaking too.

You can live with any car - my brother's daily driver for over a year was a Fisher Fury with a leaky soft top (which would also merrily slaughter an EVO on a dry road). However, personally find I can drive 8 hours in the WRX after a day at work, wouldn't fancy that in an EVO. Not saying you're wrong, just that people are different.

I don't want 300bhp - I doubt the extra 16 will make very much difference over my 284, which I'm usually happy with. To be honest, my advice to the original poster re:engine mods would be to go with exhaust, panel filter or cold air kit (depending on which you like the noise from), ideally samco turbo inlet and intercooler hoses (£250ish), maybe ported headers, maybe uprated TMIC (STi £250 s/h or preferably an APS £600 new), definitely a TEK re-map. You'll end up with at least 280bhp in a nicely sorted drive that's still reliable, maybe 300 if you do all of the above. Spend any extra money on brakes (at least do the pads, braided hoses), and maybe suspension tweaks (at the very least, get the alignment done!)

P.S. - blot, I could afford a genuuinely fast car now, but rarely use the full potential of my fairly fast one, so am happier to have a very fat bank account.
Old 14 January 2005, 08:32 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I dont want 300bhp for my wrx either
Old 14 January 2005, 08:44 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

You can live with any car - my brother's daily driver for over a year was a Fisher Fury with a leaky soft top (which would also merrily slaughter an EVO on a dry road). However, personally find I can drive 8 hours in the WRX after a day at work, wouldn't fancy that in an EVO. Not saying you're wrong, just that people are different.
My god, that's some commute you've got there, next thing you'll be saying you have to get up two hours before you go to bed, eat gravel for breakfast and then get on yer hands and knees and lick t'road clean etc etc .

Fisher Fury-slaughter Evo, not just a dry road required, also guarantee of no straights longer than 100 yards and no chance of having to stop quickly

P.S. - blot, I could afford a genuuinely fast car now, but rarely use the full potential of my fairly fast one, so am happier to have a very fat bank account.
Sitting looking at fat bank account= driving fast car

Having both= priceless
Old 14 January 2005, 08:48 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blot
next thing you'll be saying you have to get up two hours before you go to bed, eat gravel for breakfast and then get on yer hands and knees and lick t'road clean etc etc
Ahh the good old days, back when I had it easy

Having both= priceless
I consider my car is fast enough, so I'll claim to be part of that too.
Old 14 January 2005, 08:58 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

I consider my car is fast enough, so I'll claim to be part of that too.
But it isn't 300bhp, how can you possibly claim that.

Sell slow car buy Evo & fast weekend car, you know it makes sense, before it's too late..

Back on topic, how to get 300 bhp, buy (snigger)gold wheels?

Spend money on trackdays or driver training or both instead of some cruddy upgrades which will make your family saloon harder to sell
Old 14 January 2005, 09:03 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

300+bhp from a scoob no problem

Old 14 January 2005, 09:06 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisp
300+bhp from a scoob no problem

Old 14 January 2005, 09:07 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

got a later graph with 337bhp on a colder day but dont want to send you to sleep lol
Old 14 January 2005, 09:17 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

LOL not even 300lb/ft torque! That's the point I was making originally though, WRX is a good car, but why try to do something to it that it wasn't designed or engineered for?
Old 14 January 2005, 09:23 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

its the only graph on here isnt an evo 276bhp, not even 300bhp !!

oh and its 1240kgs kerb weight and has a 19.7mph/1000rpm 5th ratio
Old 14 January 2005, 09:26 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

still has a d/p cat as well so fully road legal
Old 14 January 2005, 09:28 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

LOL not even 300lb/ft torque! That's the point I was making originally though, WRX is a good car, but why try to do something to it that it wasn't designed or engineered for?

Designed or engineered for ????

Going from A to B - yep does that
Old 14 January 2005, 09:30 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

its the only graph on here isnt an evo 276bhp, not even 300bhp !!
They used to be that low. On the older models, simple mods of exhaust and air filter took them comfortably over 300. The wife's car hasn't had any major tweaks and is pushing out 330lb/ft with a bullet proof engine.

Mitsubishi have now even brought out a 260 bhp model just for WRX drivers to trade up to, just in case there necks are not used to acceleration and they need to be broken in gently
Old 14 January 2005, 09:34 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

Designed or engineered for ????

Going from A to B - yep does that
So does a perodua kelisa.

Point I am/was making was people are better spending their money on either better brakes and/or driver training/trackdays. Oh and why state 300bhp? Where does that figure come from? Yes, WRX is a good car, but why try to turn it into something it isn't?
Old 14 January 2005, 09:41 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Mine is a typeRA (race altered by the factory) built for group N spec rallying. What am I trying to turn it into ?
Old 14 January 2005, 09:50 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

Mine is a typeRA (race altered by the factory) built for group N spec rallying. What am I trying to turn it into ?
Ah so the answer to the original question of "how much will it cost me to get 300 bhp from my WRX?" is simple

Just nip down to any subaru dealership and buy a limited edition race altered car. Bet that is easy to live with and a comfy ride,not like a nasty rough Evo, then again maybe it was built as a homologation model and is actually just the shell that rally prep companies then gut and put DECENT BRAKES on

Same question to an Evo owner?

Turn the key
Old 14 January 2005, 09:53 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

So does a perodua kelisa.

Point I am/was making was people are better spending their money on either better brakes and/or driver training/trackdays. Oh and why state 300bhp? Where does that figure come from? Yes, WRX is a good car, but why try to turn it into something it isn't?

TBH honest I can see where you are coming from. I have uprated my brakes, wheels and tyres and it only gone up 45-55bhp from 276bhp.

Suppose 300bhp is the magic figure if you have 200 and something bhp theres only 2bhp between 299bhp and 301bhp but 301bhp sounds so much more.

Next target 400bhp
Old 14 January 2005, 10:02 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

TBH honest I can see where you are coming from. I have uprated my brakes, wheels and tyres and it only gone up 45-55bhp from 276bhp.
Huraah, give that man a gold star LOL you've even admitted that uprating the wheels makes a scoob go faster (they are gold aren't they)

Suppose 300bhp is the magic figure if you have 200 and something bhp theres only 2bhp between 299bhp and 301bhp but 301bhp sounds so much more.

Next target 400bhp
Did you know you can buy an Evo with 400 bhp and a 3 year warranty from any Mitsi dealer

Any way, they are all nice cars, if you like slow ones........
Old 14 January 2005, 10:05 PM
richir rich
Scooby Regular

**** how boring... silly boys,
Old 14 January 2005, 10:09 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richir rich
**** how boring... silly boys,
But you read it and had to post, ha ha still dragged you in to it