ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Too Common

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2005, 04:43 PM
Pogue
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*sigh* I didn't say it was a problem either, IT WAS A STATEMENT OF FACT

Can you not understand that, do you want me to put it in words you can understand?

Someone stated that Subarus are common, for two people to "notice" it whithin 15 minutes of me owning it suggests otherwise whereas no-one ever commented on my Evo6.

Is that easy enough for you?

Originally Posted by S.B.
Well ***** why comment like it is a problem that noone spoke to you in petrol stations when you had an evo
Old 01 January 2005, 04:45 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Guys if the bickering is going to continue then I'll just put an end to it all.

Can we be civil to each other please, and keep it to a sensible discussion without the need to resort to arguments etc..

Ian
Old 01 January 2005, 04:47 PM
Pogue
Scooby Regular

My apologies, I was stating what happened, SB is trying to twist it around for some strange reason

Originally Posted by IanW
Guys if the bickering is going to continue then I'll just put an end to it all.

Can we be civil to each other please, and keep it to a sensible discussion without the need to resort to arguments etc..

Ian
Old 01 January 2005, 04:54 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

all cars are s**t we should burn them all, and use the brilliant public transport service available!
Old 01 January 2005, 05:00 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I've removed several posts from this thread, lets keep it civilised now please.

Ian

Last edited by IanW; 01 January 2005 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01 January 2005, 05:14 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

As they say matey (WR1), u buy what U think is best. Forget everyone else. Weather u think the WR1 doesnt hold uniqueness or vice versa, thats what you think and it should stay that way. As ma uncle always says, never let anyone dictate ya
Old 01 January 2005, 05:30 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

WR1, I think you may have realised that you c'ant actually ask objective questions on the potential down sides of Scoobs here. Too many people here are stupidly emotional about their cars.
Old 01 January 2005, 05:47 PM
Pogue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
WR1, I think you may have realised that you c'ant actually ask objective questions on the potential down sides of Scoobs here. Too many people here are stupidly emotional about their cars.
May I ask if you have an Evo ?

I have had a classic Scoob, Evo and now an '03 Sti.

I much preferred both Scoobs as I found the Evo too harsh and as someone else posted earlier it always feels like it's doing ""too much" work for you. I felt like it was not as rewarding to drive as a scoob (hence why I just bought another)

I'm not saying Evos are bad cars, it's just not the car for me.

As they say it "horses for courses" if you like Evos then buy an Evo and vice-versa if you like Scoobs but for someone to say I don't want a scoob now because they are for chavs so I'm buying an Evo is ridiculous (go to the MLR forum and the same thing is said about Evos getting too "chavvy"

By the same token you shouldn't by a Porsche as there are lots of crappy 924/944's about owned by pikeys, take it a step further and you could say I'm not buying a BMW because too many coloured people drive old knackered ones (and thats an awful thing to say though I've heard it a lot)

As someone else intimated before "If you're happy with it drive it, don't worry about what others think"
Old 01 January 2005, 06:05 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

WR1, didn't you get rid of the Scooby a few months ago?
Old 01 January 2005, 06:09 PM
SwishOvBolton
Scooby Regular

there is 8 or so evos in bolton (AN EVERYONE IS A DRUG DEALERS) apart from 1 if i can recollect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01 January 2005, 06:43 PM
buzzuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ImprezaWR1
I think the time has come to sell my beloved WR1 and go for what IMHO is a far superior car... the EVO

I bought the WR1 from new and thought that I had joined a somewhat special group of people who love and appreciate the Impreza , but today I drove about 400 miles and I lost count of not only the Imprezas I saw, but the number of burburry wearing kids driving what once was considered a great & quite exclusive car.

I'm sick of feeling like an old man trying to be young (only 32) and the remarks made by people in the street who say "why dont you get a proper performance car"

I also realised that its only Impreza owners who call the older models "classic" as everyone else calls them "the old cheaper ones"

I test drove the Evo today (not the 260) and what an awesome machine it is... far superior in performance, handling & bulid quality ..

I think I'm going to go for what I consider to be a "grown up" version of the impreza , and am sorry to say that I'll probably never buy another Scoob

but times have changed & to me it seems the Subaru haven't , so time to move on

dont get me wrong, the Impreza Turbo is a great car, but so was the golf GTI before it was available to everyone who had a couple of grand to spend on a car

a sad day for me, but I feel a step up is needed , Imprezas are just too common

discuss.......................

& yes , I will shut the door on my way out

regards

disillusioned Subaru owner
In a word snob!. I don't care who else drives a scoob and i have an older cheaper one ( a beautiful silver jdm). So when evo's become more affordable you gonna get a porsche???? shouldn't be too long before you'll be driving around in a ferrari. Ps good luck on the dark side.
Old 01 January 2005, 06:55 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
didnt know a clio 182 could 0-60 in under 6 seconds, if it does put me down for 1
I never said it could, I said it wasn't far behind the Impreza in terms of performance so how could the Impreza be a performance icon with this in mind.

I could understand if this was 1995 but it's not it's 2005 and things have changed a bit.
Old 01 January 2005, 06:56 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

When i had my subarus i found that it was always kids that took an interest in it, with the evo you get more interest from adults
Also with the subaru i was always bugged by corsas/saxos etc hanging onto the rear bumper, with the evo this has only happened twice, both times by subarus, one who got upset because i wouldn't race him, and the other who undercut me on a roundabout then as he launched himself onto the straight nearly stacked it into the crash barrier.
Old 01 January 2005, 06:57 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

exactly the whole idea behind the impreza is nearly 13 years old, how old is a clio 182? the impreza is a complete package where as the clio 182 is too raw for some people and no where near as tunable as the impreza.

Originally Posted by Danny B
I never said it could, I said it wasn't far behind the Impreza in terms of performance so how could the Impreza be a performance icon with this in mind.

I could understand if this was 1995 but it's not it's 2005 and things have changed a bit.
Old 01 January 2005, 07:02 PM
richir rich
Scooby Regular

this is about right thou...
When i had my subarus i found that it was always kids that took an interest in it, with the evo you get more interest from adults
Also with the subaru i was always bugged by corsas/saxos etc hanging onto the rear bumper, with the evo this has only happened twice, both times by subarus, one who got upset because i wouldn't race him, and the other who undercut me on a roundabout then as he launched himself onto the straight nearly stacked it into the crash barrier.
Old 01 January 2005, 07:06 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

But is your EVO stickered up like you Scoob was ? Surely that must have gotten you loads of unwanted attention ?
Old 01 January 2005, 07:08 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

The WR1 is an exclusive car as there were only 500 made, but to be honest, if you don't know your Subarus, it looks just like an STI with very minor modifications and a different paint job. I'm sure I could persuade somebody to respray my STI (if I owned one) in Ice Blue, or perhaps you shoudl call it Peugeot 306 Blue. The average bloke on the street, whose opinions you seem to care about, isn't going to know the difference and isn't going to know that it's a rare colour, though may be impressed that you didn't get one in "Kingfisher Blue" as they call it.

The Evo is going to give you the same problems though, especially now that it's officially available. Any sales rep can get their hands on one. TBH any sub 40K car that is easilly available is going to be "common" really.

So if you want to stick with rice rockets, I suggest you get something that isn't available over here, like one of the new limited edition Legacies that are out over in Japan. I've had a lady in a Mercedes SLK checking out my 99 Legacy B4 at a petrol station before, and had several people asking what the hell is that, never had a negative comment. I've been keyed a few times though so I guess it's safe to say the chavs dont like it.
Old 01 January 2005, 07:25 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

my brother just sold this car
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

prerviously he owned a modded uk impreza and in his honest opinion the scoob is the better car. the performance and handling on the evo was in another league but it didnt have the "character of the scoob". The evo owners at a rolling road day also seemed a lot less friendlier than owners on a scoob rolling road day.
Old 01 January 2005, 07:33 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Matt Classic
But is your EVO stickered up like you Scoob was ? Surely that must have gotten you loads of unwanted attention ?
I did say subarus Only 1 was stickered (worst thing i ever did to it)
Old 01 January 2005, 07:59 PM
y2kfireblade
Scooby Newbie

just registered on here to add my tuppence worth, as a former 330bhp wrx impreza owner i sold my scoob to buy my evo 5. it was a toss up between a p1 or a 22b and to be honest i wish i had bought another scoob!!

dont get me wrong the evo is superior in just about every way to a scoob but it just isnt as much fun to drive hard. to drive the evo really hard it is just too hard to feel whats going on imo (que everyone from the mlr tearing me to pieces about how ****e a driver i am) thus its just a not as rewarding perhaps due to the yaw control although i am getting used to it. maybe its just me but despite the evo having the most direct/responsive front end of any performance car ive driven it just feels a bit twitchy when pushed hard where as the scoob although understeering every time you pushed it hard felt very predictable and rewarding to thrash.
as far a s scoobs being too common i have to agree cos thats the main reason i bought my evo. but there are plenty rarer models that those in the know will know! type r type ra etc. in out and out performance/handling the evo will always beat a scoob but they just dont get me as up for it as a good scooby.

NEXT CAR 22b definately!!!!
Old 01 January 2005, 08:13 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

This thread is hilarious, I'm printing it off and posting it on the staff noticeboard to cheer everyone up on Tuesday morning.

Performance icon my ****, don't forget that the Classic shape Impreza is only one notch up from a Clio 182 in terms of performance, I'd hardly call it iconic.
Only one notch up??

I drive a classic shape STi which is standard and i'm willing to bet it's more than "one notch up" from a Clio 182.
Not all classic shape impreza's are the same!
Old 01 January 2005, 08:16 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

finally some sense is spoken

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Only one notch up??

I drive a classic shape STi which is standard and i'm willing to bet it's more than "one notch up" from a Clio 182.
Not all classic shape impreza's are the same!
Old 01 January 2005, 08:18 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Another CLASSIC scoobynet thread...

anyone for russian roulette..?
Old 01 January 2005, 08:37 PM
renno rannes
Scooby Regular

Thats sad. One of the main reasons you seem to be geting rid is cause of what other people think and other people can afford older lower spec ones and cause your so much better than them you need to spend even more to distance yourself. The scooby is a class car no matter what age and the new evo looks a bit girly not mean enough. Your car is a great car and so is the evo but choose one based on the car only and not public opinion. I doubht as many people as you think care about what car you drive and that one of your friends might have seen a guy in a burbury hat driveing the same brand. Shock horror.

Renno
Old 01 January 2005, 08:45 PM
xvw
Scooby Regular

this really is pathetic im into my mk1 golf gti's as well as my scoob and on a couple of mk1 forums there is nothing like this, why cant people respect what others drive it obviously makes them happy. i hate the mines better than yours attitude and also hate the 'oh there to common' snobbery there common because there great cars enjoy driving them
Old 01 January 2005, 08:48 PM
Abbylad
Scooby Regular

has he fecked off yet? the moaning old bitch, cant be bothered to read thread to see if he has
Old 01 January 2005, 08:59 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Why so angry Mr Wong? Did you not see the LOL. Anyway,are you trying to say a 1 inch grainy phone image on a dark December day gives a better photographic representation than a brochure/internet??? No I'm afraid she was a sad bird.Why do you want strangers talking to you at petrol stations anyway?
Sometimes a brochure makes things look better than they really are.

Your right, you probably don't won't strangers talking to you at petrol stations.
Old 01 January 2005, 09:08 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

You'll always gonna get kids/teeneagers admiring any car they've driven on a playstation when they see it for real . I can live with that, as can many more on here.

If you dont like being singled out for any type of attention, why not sell your WR1 and go buy a Volvo S60 and stop worrying what people think when you roll up at the golf club.
Shame you didnt put as much thought into spending your 30k in the first place.........
Old 01 January 2005, 09:10 PM
EBR
Scooby Regular

Jeezus - it's threads like this that make me glad the 'Classics' are now affordable for the Chavs.

This debate of such "high and mighty" people is, in the main, complete bollox.

Chavs buy a Scoob because it is fast, affordable and gives them street cred.

I buy a Scoob because it is fast, affordable and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling in my nether regions.

I like fast cars that aren't Scoobs. Funnily enough I like slow cars as well.

I'm pretty sure other drivers of fast cars that are not Scoobs also like Scoobs.

Hummmmmmmpppppppppppppppphhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Old 01 January 2005, 09:23 PM
Trem
Scooby Regular

You need to concentrate on the word icon a bit more.

The Impreza is defiantely an icon of the 90s cars. As was the Golf GTI in the 80s.

Icon does not mean uber performance, it means icon.

Icon to me means something that broke the mould, something that paved the way for others to follow. The Golf was this and so is the Impreza.

Oh and S.B I wasn't keen on your stickered up Scoob but I was damn keen on the sound of it.

Quick Reply: Too Common