ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MV 1800 4x4 Pickup

Old 01 November 2004, 10:40 PM
ScoobyTruck
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb MV 1800 4x4 Pickup

Hello Chaps,

I’m new here, I’ve just bought my first Scooby, bit of an accident really, I was looking for a cheap truck to use while renovating my new (Old) house, and have just bought a 1800 MV 4x4 off Ebay to sell one when I’m done with it, as skips are £150 a time round here, so it made sense to buy a truck - looked at a 84 VW Caddy first - V rusty no MOT, but saw the 94 MV and fell in love with it (6 months Mot 6 months tax helped) - the farmer said if I could find any rot on it he would give it away for free - he was right, there isn’t any, as its covered everywhere in tractor oil.

I’ve just driven it back from darkest Lincolnshire some 80 miles to North Bucks; I was very surprised how much I have grown to like it in such a short time.

Now, I didn’t pay much for it, but the engine has over 116K on it - although included in the sale was a spare engine/box prop and diff, I’m quite happy to chug around in it shifting bricks and sand etc, what I really want to do is drop something better in to the engine bay - Any suggestions?

The front hubs or drive shaft makes a knocking sound when turning right, is this expensive to fix? I’m keen to look after it, as the bodywork is mint - and is 10kg lighter now I’ve washed all the mud off it.

I’m happy to change the suspension for something less tractor like, is there anything that would be a straight swap? I’m not afraid of welding or chopping parts of it up etc, as my usual ride is a 16V Honda Mini
Any useful URL’s would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Colin.a-b

Last edited by ScoobyTruck; 01 November 2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01 November 2004, 10:50 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

I'd guess it's based on the L series. I had 2 L series estates and from the work I did on those I'd guess much of the parts from the Impreza could fit. There is a link somewhere to a pickup with a 3.3 flat six SVX engine and I've seen another link to a blue one with lots of trick parts fitted. Think the link was on the 22b forum. If I find it I'll post it.
Old 01 November 2004, 11:00 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.22b.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...=000405#000015
Old 01 November 2004, 11:13 PM
ScoobyTruck
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the link Kevin.

Any suggestions on suspension etc, so it does'nt steer like they used to drive in 50's Black and white films - (tacking from side to side.)

C.ab
Old 02 November 2004, 09:17 AM
megabusa
Scooby Regular

A man after my own heart, I am off to look at one of these myself this weekend, we have had them in the past.
For the ultimate conversion, have a look here;
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...highlight=brat
Old 02 November 2004, 10:08 AM
Guthrie
Scooby Newbie

These were very popular in Australia. A few mates had them when i was there.. fitted lift kits, Legacy motors etc.

Have a look at this thread on the MRT forums to see what can be done with some STi gear...

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/forums/to...TOPIC_ID=14242

Also, the knocking sound is probably a constant velocity joint on the way out. Should be reasonably cheap to fix (they were only AUS$150 for a new one when my mates replaced them).

cheers
Guthrie
Old 02 November 2004, 07:55 PM
ScoobyTruck
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice chaps, expect to see it hot rodded after its work period
C.ab