ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Sigma vs Toad vs Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2000, 05:22 PM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm trying to decide what alarm to fit, and have narrowed my choice down to the above three. I've seen plenty of recommendations for each of these - all three sound to be very reliable, simple to use, no fuss systems.

I know that the Sigma M30 has some form of keypad in the car - what does that do?

Are there any other "feature differences" between them that might swing a decision one way or another?

Pete
Old 12 July 2000, 06:01 PM
Aero
Scooby Regular

Hi Pete,

had a sigma M30 in my last car (MR2) for two years. The key pad is there so you can deactivate the alarm without the key, with a pin code. It also controls other functions in conjunction with the key, like valet mode beeps on/off etc.
Had quite a few false alarms with this, but engine bay was alarmed also, so considered this to be caused by movement in cooling.
There were three times whereby the car wouldn't start at all. Some conflict with the factory fit apparently. (Resolved by a switch reset by Toyota each time.)

I now have TOAD on my scooby (for only a couple of months), and I feel it is a better system. There are some really fiddly commands to activate the various functions, key turns and button presses etc. But in everyday use (on or off) I feel better about it.
It hasn't yet failed (que the failure). pin code operation with the TOAD is via the ignition and the led in the dash. Panic mode was better with the Sigma as it's a simple hold the button, and you can still drive with the siren on. The TOAD panic system is fiddly ignition turns and button presses (Haven't learned it yet...)

Peter.
Old 12 July 2000, 06:47 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have a Sigma M30 in my MY 98. It has been reliable and only rarely gives false alarms (in storm conditions). The main problem with it is that the remote control only works when you're standing right beside the car (the second remote's the same).

D.
Old 12 July 2000, 07:25 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

I too have a Sigma on my MY98. Only ever had false alarms twice, dunno what the cause was as both were during the night. As for activating/deactivating, mines has the best range of any alarm I've had in the past. Don't suppose this helps your choice very much as the posts so far have all been about the same alarm, and have differing views. I suppose the other alarms will have their fair share of false alarms and niggles too.

PFF
Old 12 July 2000, 11:24 PM
Frankie
Scooby Regular

Toad stuff is O.K and so is Sigma. Just avoid Clifford at all costs I've had 2- bloody expensive and loadsa trouble..
Old 13 July 2000, 12:07 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Question

Do sigma, toad or cobra allow you to set the car to switch off a minute or two after locking (ie, to act as a turbo timer)?

I know the Clifford does, so I'm considering buying the concept 300. I have heard that toads are more reliable, but I don't want to sit in the car for a minute after every journey - kinda makes you feel silly for having a fast car.
Old 13 July 2000, 10:16 AM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments. False alarms are a real pain. A mate of mine has a Cavalier that is always going off. You've only got to nudge past it in a car park to set it off. And his neighbours must really love him on windy nights!!! So that probably knocks the M30 off my list.

Actually, my inclination is to go with the Toad. A local installer in my area fits a number of different systems (including the Cliffords), but only recommends the Toad for the Scoob. He reckons it's an excellent system, which suits the Impreza's really well. He also said that he thought the Cliffords were temperamental, and over priced.

I know that some people on this board are very pleased with their Clifford installations, but, for me, I don't think it's worth paying the extra.

Old 13 July 2000, 10:36 AM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

Talking

Pete

Previous opinion on here (mostly last year) was that Sigma was more reliable.

The Cobras, whilst generally better featured, are very much more prone to poor installations (many people have had problems with water ingress into the bonnet switch causing false alarms - this is an install issue).

I have a Sigma M30 & it's gone off only once in the night when some muppet didn't close the boot properly.

My suggestion would be to post on here asking for recommendations on good installers in your area

FWIW
Paul
Old 13 July 2000, 11:01 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Sigma seem to come as standard but on my jap car i had one fitted.

Keypad need not be touched but it does allow you to change things
I haven't done a thing with mine.

Trick is to find a trick installer. I know of one who is a master with scoobies but he may be too far from you.

Cliffords have improved apparently and the new ones are supposed to be excellent. I have never been happier with my sigma though. It can do all the trick bits but just never goes wrong and is cheap too.

Paid £300 for mine.
Old 13 July 2000, 02:10 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dave,

I think you may be right, but to activate the timer on the alarm requires you to press buttons, so an insurer would never know whether or not the tt was activated - and your alarm comes with a cat 1 certificate regardless of whether you have the option of leaving the engine running.

It's like - if you didn't bother locking your car, and it was nicked, your alarm would still be cat 1, and your insurer would have to prove you didn't lock the car.
Old 13 July 2000, 03:41 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

You have alot of choice, just go for the cat1 alarms and immobilsers, never had sigma, cobra or toad but i've heard toad are really good, got a clifford concept 600 myself, no complaints here, just 2 false alarms whilst the system settled in and that was due to a faulty unit, been perfect ever since, even if they have the keys it aint going very far, not many systems do that, no scary nights for me anymore!!!
(except the fact i live in manchester!!)

Tony

[This message has been edited by TonyBurns (edited 13-07-2000).]
Old 13 July 2000, 05:10 PM
karlo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi,
I have a toad which IMNO is the best one
I have had a Clifford (problem False alarming), Sigma ( my car got stolen lucky was not the subaru)
I have had my fair share of breakings (unlucky it was all on the subaru ) and in all cases the thieving Ba**ard(s) wanted my car.!!!! But due to having the Toad they have not got away with it (touching wood!!!!)
Regards
karlo
Old 13 July 2000, 10:00 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sigma alarms are made by TOAD so the quality of the two systems should be similar.

Take a look at
Old 14 July 2000, 06:52 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

I have had cars with all three types of alarm but cannot remember there model numbers.
They where all cat 1

The only one that did not give false alarms was the cobra (which was on my scoob)

for ease of arming it would be the sigma.

The toad has a good feature in that it tells you what sensor was at fault for any false alarms.(plenty of them)
The most unreliable was the sigma which always let me down at the worst possible moment, strange then that it is my favorite considering the problems i faced with it as it was easy to arm/disarm and it was not to loud when arming (i hate alarms that can wake the dead when they arm)plus it had the keypad feature which is a bonus when in the middle of nowhere and the remote's battery goes flat as you can still disarm with your pin number.
The unreliability could of been down to instalation on the sigma as back then it was on a RS 2000 16v which was installed by an ex Rs mechanic say no more about that then!
so if you want a good alarm that won't let you down who knows! as others have said before it is probably all to do with the instalation if anything.