Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2000, 12:11 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stu:
Just remember that you can't generalise like this. QUOTE]

The insurance companies do generalise. That's the problem.

As for a Puffa Jacket cull? Well you could just let them deflate a bit. Perhaps Governmental guidlines could be introduced regarding 'puffiness quotients.'

I'm not saying everyone in a puffa drives like a 'Max Power Geezer' or is not a good bloke. Surely however you can't really disagree that puffa ratios in your average Tesco car park midnight XR3 hooliganmobile do seem rather high.
Old 03 March 2000, 12:12 AM
Greg Jones
Scooby Regular

Stu,

IMHO the price of the car is not directly proportionate or even representative of the driver inside, in any way shape or form.

The fact is though, that when you do make your millions and sell your car for 7k, the heavens will have opened for potential 'geezers' who will be stupid with it, (As they prove constantly in all big town centres) driving our insurance up and credibility down.

Old 03 March 2000, 12:12 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm with justin on this one. I've only got 10k to spend thus cannot get the latest Sti wundermachine or a P1, or 22B.
Old 03 March 2000, 12:26 AM
Weaver
Scooby Regular

Angry

You lot can't half be a bunch of snobby gets sometimes what about me a young man with both a Sierra Cosworth and a Puffa, I suppose I should be hung from the nearest tree then

Do be careful how you generalise cos we ain't all like that you, some of us just like fast cars and warm coats.

You'll all be sorry on Sunday if it's freezing. You'll be shivering whilst I'm lovely and warm courtesy of Mr North Face
Old 03 March 2000, 12:41 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Weaver,

I don't believe we're being snobby here. Just injecting a little light-hearted humour (hopefully, unless I've had my lobotomy unexpectedly earlier than planned ). I have friends with Cosworths who like yourself love their cars (as they so rightly should) and treat them with the respect that they deserve (no matter what coat they happen to be wearing ). These same friends however are sick to death with the image that the general public/do-gooders/politicians taint them with because of a few idiots who like wrapping similar motors around lamp-posts in the local high street while trying to impress their mates.

It would be be terribly sad to see the Scooby go the same way.

Cheers
Joolz
Old 03 March 2000, 12:46 AM
Greg Jones
Scooby Regular

Smile

Snobby...shmobby

All Scoobies are great and rule...7 grands worth or 32 grands worth. So there.

Old 03 March 2000, 12:48 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I dont care what anyone says, 10k is a lot of money for a car, you'll find that a lot of our generalised boy racer/puffa type boys cant afford that kind of car anyway, so dont you worry yourselves.
cem
Old 03 March 2000, 12:52 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Weaver:
<B>You lot can't half be a bunch of snobby gets sometimes what about me a young man with both a Sierra Cosworth and a Puffa, I suppose I should be hung from the nearest tree then

Do be careful how you generalise cos we ain't all like that you, some of us just like fast cars and warm coats.

You'll all be sorry on Sunday if it's freezing. You'll be shivering whilst I'm lovely and warm courtesy of Mr North Face [/quote]

Not me mate, i've got a nice wool cardigan I use when it get's a little chilly. That a nice cup of coca will do me nicely. I drive down to Eastbourne, play a little bingo and then it's off to the chip shop afterwards..

In all seriousness we are only teasing. What I'm(and i'm assuming we) are saying is that we don't want insurance premiums to go up even more because of a few irresponsible people. This happend in the early 90's when XR3's, ,GTI's,GTE and 205's became a cheap buy for the less responsible and as a result insurance costs all but killed off the hot hatch. The biggest nutters I see on the road don't usually wear puffa jackets but shirts and ties.

Old 03 March 2000, 02:02 AM
Anders
Scooby Regular

My 22B is scheduled out of the shop shortly

Of course I am excited!

However a facinating aspect of Impreza ownership has not been lost upon me in the last 8 months, post XXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX (who said I am not fair, especially when my barrister says shut up!)

Imprezas are getting cheaper, young guys are coming in board who want "cheap and cheerful" power upgrades!

Who is going to protect them?

I was offered a 580 BHP engine for 12 seconds and we all fell about laughing!

The Impreza engine is not indestructable!

I can not go on indefinetly about my Uxbridge experience, who can protect the next generation of Impreza fodder?

Anders@22.COM

Old 03 March 2000, 02:09 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

It is quite scary when you see WRX's advertised for under £9000, how long before the first £5k impreza ?

Shold we set up a fund to buy all cheap Imprezas to stop them falling into the "wrong" hands?

So Anders are you coming on the 9th to the Reading meet then? Go on, Ever since I joined the BBS i've been hearing about your 22B, but I've never actually seen it! I am beginning to think it is a myth to seduce all the Newbies
Old 03 March 2000, 02:15 AM
Anders
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Dear Paul,

There is definetly going to be a divergence of Impreza activity.

A) We are technically superior folk with a bit of money.

B) **** I can get a car that goes that fast for how much?.......Please mum can we share the insurance etc? ! :-(

As a BBS we can not contain "youthful indescretion etc!"

I will not sell my 22B as it is FXYZZZZZZZZZZ brilliant, I can understand the STI5/6 brigade worryinging about 4 year WRX etc ! :-(
Old 03 March 2000, 09:32 AM
Nick Lines
Scooby Regular

Talking

In response to PaulW's "should we set up a fund to stop these cars falling into the wrong hands", there's a rumour that BMW habitually buy up cheap, oldish 7 series cars and "lose" them for exactly that reason. I feel they have more money to play with than Subaru, but it's good to see that rover is trying to scupper 'em with all their might. (Interesting fact: if all Rover employees had stayed at home and were paid £30k, Rover would have lost less money last year...)
Old 03 March 2000, 10:01 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Wink

hmm, so I must be one of the 'wrong hands' as I've only got a budget of £10k to spend on a impreza
Old 03 March 2000, 11:22 AM
Justin
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Anders/Paul,

What do you consider the 'wrong hands'?

I've just purchased a WRX for 10k, and you may be surprised to hear I don't share my mums insurance!

Perhaps you should consider the fact that not all of us are fortunate enough to have 20k+ to spend on a car?

Justin.
Old 03 March 2000, 11:32 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Angry

With these older Scoobies now dropping to the sort of prices where they are an alternative to Astra GTEs, Citroen AXs, and all other 'Max Power Geezer-mobiles ' I don't want to think about what my insurance will be like in a year or two's time.

Joolz

Old 03 March 2000, 11:38 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Actually, an even scarier thought... Scoobie drivers in puffa jackets
Old 03 March 2000, 11:47 AM
Greg Jones
Scooby Regular

Smile

Maybe we should form a special 'hit squad' to rid the streets of geezer bearing Scoobies.

I must admit that I feel cold at the prospect of the Impreza turning into a street 'rs' 'xr3i'...ghetto alternative. I shudder at the thought.

I always had a warm feeling that Impreza ownership was slightly out of the reach of the usual town centre fluffy dice gangs. My bubble is bursting.

Old 03 March 2000, 11:51 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

You are all a bunch of snobs :-)

Just because someone drives a high performance car that doesn't cost 20k+ doesn't mean they are boy-racer, spotty oik.

I have actually met a Scooby owner with a puffa jacket and he was OK.

I guess you have a right to be worried about the insurance costs though. The Scooby is turning into the new Cossie so it will not be long until they are wrapped around trees etc. more often (and hence insurance costs go up).

Cheers

Ian Watkins (GT4) (no, I don't own a puffa jacket)
Old 03 March 2000, 11:53 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Wink

Start
I would'nt worry too much. The Puffa jacket squad will soon write themselves or the car, or get banned and thus won't be able to afford the insurance. The more careful one's will survive and grow up. Natural selection in action.

I can see it now, the annual puffa jacket cull, followed shortly by 'cool' Carol Smille
asking us to 'save the puffa jacket'

End
Old 03 March 2000, 11:57 AM
Stu
Scooby Regular

Angry

Easy boys,

Just remember that you can't generalise like this. I have a my94 uk spec that I have had for years. When I bought it it was worth a fair bit, now it is probably one of the cheapest you can buy. That does not mean that I am a boy racer, it simply means that the tens of thousands I could have spent on a new STI went into my business instead. In a years time that will turn into 100's of thousands and I'll have the choice of any car.
I understand your concerns, but don't jump to conclusions - does this mean that I am unwelcome at track days and in the SIDC just because my car is worth less than yours?
Old 03 March 2000, 01:02 PM
Weaver
Scooby Regular

Wink

Damn it I often wear the Puffa over a shirt tie on cold mornings that must make me the biggest headcase on the road

I can understand everyones sentiments that they don't want the image of their car and cost of insurance ruined by a few idiots, I just mean't that we aren't all fools

Now where's my coat
Old 03 March 2000, 01:27 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>The biggest nutters I see on the road don't usually wear puffa jackets but shirts and ties.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(sweeping statement mode on)
Hopefully if this is the case the insurance premiums on Mondeos and Vectras will get so high that these barges are forced off the road.
(sweeping statement mode off)
(Flame suit on)

Nyuk Nyuk
Joolz

[This message has been edited by jbryant (edited 03-03-2000).]
Old 03 March 2000, 01:32 PM
Greg Jones
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah, shirt and tie wearing vectra drivers...120mph on wet motorways, *** in one hand and mobile in other, swerving and weaving all over the place witout a worry in the world.
Puffa jacket wannabes, week-end town centre boy racers...

There is a time and a place to drive 'enthusiastically'. An art, I think, that is portrayed by many an Impreza driver. (Not a biased view, really)

Oops better make my exit now, sound of that stompede is getting closer...

Greg
Old 03 March 2000, 01:36 PM
Greg Jones
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm going to keep those blinkers on....
Old 03 March 2000, 01:41 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The damn puffa is getting everywhere. I saw someone in a Supra like mine wearing one the other day. I hope this means I haven't got a boy-racer car. Anyway, you wanna stay warm, get a nice leather jacket. Decent bit of cow keeps you lovely and warm. You do have to admit that puffa jackets make you look like Michelin Man!
Old 03 March 2000, 01:46 PM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

I suppose we'er lucky in Ireland, when it comes to the Impreza, Frist the cheapest one you are likely to find is 93' import for about 13K, The Insurance companies in Ireland will not quote for the Impreza on peolpe under 30!!!, and if they do its usaully about 5-6K. (personel experience).

So the Impreza turbo still has its Ooooo! value, but the problem is we'er getting 1.6 awd import with full turbo body kits etc!

So which would you perfer a really Impreza turbo driven by and young driver or a 1.6 copy!!!!

I have a 1.6, no bonnet scoop, no awd etc, it does have the front from a turbo/sport but it came that way and its MY99, and I can just afford it and I love it to bits... I'll post pics soon. I will buy a turbo but it will not be for about 5 year (insurance);-)

Cheers
Old 03 March 2000, 01:47 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Guys,
I did qualify my statement with a at the moment the chapest Scoobs are arouned £8k, I was just saying that at £5k we are looking at second hand Fiesta prices.
Old 03 March 2000, 01:47 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Smile

We've got a few years of life yet I guess. Start saving for the 355 (dreeeeaaaaaam on Joolz)

[This message has been edited by jbryant (edited 03-03-2000).]
Old 03 March 2000, 01:51 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

If some of you boring cantankerous snobby old farts realised how expensive those puffa jackets were you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss those who wear them as having no cash

Oh, and judging from the pictures I've seen of the various dyno meets, etc, the SIDC is hardly the last word in fashionable clothing (eh, Stef et all?) (Although I suspect Mr Nightmare is a bit of a clothes man )

Anyway, you'll never see them in an STI or post 98 car - I doubt you could fit in the front seats with a puffa on

That aside, I got a friendly wave from an immaculately driven early model turbo with 4 young guys the other day - being better behaved than your average 40 something in their Ford/Toyota/Vauxhall/ etc commuter boxes.

D

(No puffa jacket, but I do wear a baseball cap when I'm not at work.

[This message has been edited by Diablo (edited 03-03-2000).]
Old 03 March 2000, 02:20 PM
Weaver
Scooby Regular

D.

Quick Reply: 580 BHP Impreza a divergence!