calling all link fitted cars ?

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2000, 07:43 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

hi all
I know by now there must be a good number of scoobs running with the possum link. I know it is good and hopefully I will be getting one soon. however I would like to know what do you guys feel about it after you had it installed, any regrets. I have no doubt in my mind about the power gain but how is the day to day use, especially on MY99 cars .i.e. any problems with the following
1:- cold starts
2:- engine's behaviour
3:- unexplained knocks
I drive my car every morning to work and I would like to keep doing !!

Cheers
Sam
Old 17 February 2000, 10:48 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

I'll jump in first then

cold start - no probs.
engine behaviour - ace, although sometimes I would like the throttle to be less sensitive !! very very easy to touch the throttle and watch the boost climb !

don't know what you mean by unexplained knocks - all I can say is that when setup correctly it will not cause knocks.

I have a MY99..totally worth it.
Old 18 February 2000, 12:59 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
This topic is interesting since no member has been critical of the Link.
I was keen to install the link in my MY99 but have been advised to stay clear of the replacement ECU.Apparently further development of the system is required and defects removed before it is a reliable replacement.
I was shown numerous boards taken from a variety of vehicles where problems were experienced with the Link.
Now Possum Bourne is associated with the Link improvements are expected - but it is going to take time to develop.
Old 18 February 2000, 09:43 AM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Talking

hi Lee
so you have got no prolems at all. this sounds great. i guess i have got no excuse now!!
Old 18 February 2000, 10:11 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Thumbs up

Sam,

I've had a Possum for about 6/7 months, and apart from the odd glitch, due to learning difficulties (mine !) it's fantastic.

Knock isn't an issue if it's mapped correctly, the same applies for cold start.

It all boils down to who maps it. Bob Rawle for example, can adjust throttle sensitivity, overboost, etc, etc, to suit the owners driving style.

You won't be dissapointed.

Mark.
Old 18 February 2000, 10:22 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

How much ?
Old 18 February 2000, 01:18 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Rob,

As you say, the overwhelming majority of responses on this thread and most others have been very positive.

As a fully programmable ECU, of course the nature of the results is highly dependent on the map that the programmer uses. The default map is only intended to allow you to run the car, and use as a base for further tuning.

I'm not running a link myself (yet), but I've been in an STI IV set up by Bob Rawle which was deeply impressive.

Suprisingly, it is the very good off boost running characteristics (good torque, idling, and smoothness) which impressed me the most as these usually suffer when a car conversion is incompletely developed - all of these characteristics were as good as or significantly better than standard.

Not to imply that the throttle response hugely reduced boost threshold are any less impressive . The turbo started producing significant boost at lower revs than my standard MY98 UK, which was a big, big suprise bearing in mind the STI V has a larger turbo.

In All, an excellent tuning job, and a sound product if that example is representative. Judging by the high degree of satisfaction reported by most Possumlink users it would seem that it is.

Cheers,

Alex

Old 18 February 2000, 01:23 PM
Glen Stenhouse
Scooby Regular

Question

Please explain what you mean by "Now Possum Bourne is associated with Link".

The PossumLink has been around for a long time and was co-developed by Link and Possum Bourne. They have always been associated with Link. They also run in Legacy's.

The problems were with the STi V and are now resolved. This did not take long to fix and was not wide spread as most people wanted to honour their warrenty.

In England with the reduced octane, and lower output cars, a Link is as much an essential purchase as a WRX.
Old 18 February 2000, 06:28 PM
Saj
Scooby Regular

Only had mine fitted about 4 weeks ago, my only regret I did not get it earlier.

Saj
STI V
Old 18 February 2000, 06:46 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Question

I am interested in the Link also and would value some opinions on the following:

1. How is fuel consumption affected ?

2. How many of you are running on 95 RON ?

3. If you have a downpipe/centre replacement, does it make a big difference (along with the Link) ?

Thanks

Gavin
Old 18 February 2000, 08:28 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have just had Bob Rawle install the Link on my UKMY99 and i have only driven the car for the motorway run back home and 10 miles to work and back the next day so i have yet to experience it fully against my old PPP setup. However, so far there are no probs with cold start, engine behaviour or "unexplained knocks" when all is set-up correctly...as mine is!. One small change is you have to give it a second between switching the ignition on and cranking the engine.

Go for it Sam....its worth it
Old 18 February 2000, 09:46 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Forgive my ignorance, but once you've changed the ECU to the Link, what's involved in setting it up to improve performance?

Does this require a day at PE or similar outfit or can it be done by an informed scooby owner?

D.
Old 18 February 2000, 10:25 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Talking

Gavin,

I think most of us (STi's) run on 97. Seems ashame to spend all that money, and then compromise on the fuel. After all, most of us get the Possum, for the increased performance.

As for fuel economy, I can only speak for my car. Before, 18/19mpg if I was lucky (motorway cruising 80/90mph) urban.....16mpg Now it doesn't seem to go below 20/21mpg.......and I got 23mpg on the motorway .

I will say that when you first get it done, your economy will drop dramatically .

Fully sorting the exhaust, will be more than worth while. The Possum allows the turbo to come in much earlier, but the down pipe is restrictive, you won't see the full benifit.

Mark.

Old 18 February 2000, 10:31 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

D,

It really needs to be set up by someone who fully understands how the Possum works. It can be set up by someone who's prepared to spend a lot of time, and has a good understanding of how boost, fuel, ignition advance, all work together, but sorting out the idle, cold start, etc', needs someone who understands the system.

Speak to, or email Bob Rawle for more infomation.

Mark.
Old 21 February 2000, 10:54 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Rob,

Please don't think I'm jumping to the defence here, just because I spent money on the product (I grew out of that tendency a while ago!) but I'm very interested to read your comments. Can you say who made them, or what the problems were? If it is reliability of the ECU circuit board, I haven't had enough time to tell whether my unit will be lacking in that regard.

However, functionally the ECU doesn't appear to have any serious problems. As a technically-aware owner, I have identified a few possible areas of improvement, but nothing serious. Subject to the caveat that you don't do something stupid and damage your engine, it seems like a great product.

Interested,

-= mike =-