Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Calling all Scooby anoraks! What is the difference between the cars?

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2000, 07:01 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Right, I don't want to know any crappy interior specs, colour coding options! What I am after is a detailed technical specification for all the cars since they were made. I.E. Which car will be the best to purchase for tuning (which has the best turbo, best suspension, best brakes, best diffs, closed deck block etc etc). Moray you should be able to help me out on the STi models...

The only reason I am asking is that the girliefriend is considering one...
LOL
Mike
Old 18 February 2000, 07:03 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike the SIDC web site has quite a detailed section in it.
Old 18 February 2000, 07:16 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Thanks, but not detailed enough...
Need more technical information if possible (such as a/r ratio of turbos for each model), flow capacity of standard injectors etc. Cars to avoid for tuning etc...
Firefox, you actually able to answer some questions from me for a change?!
Old 18 February 2000, 08:42 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Not thinking of buying and tuning a scooby, Mike .

Go on you know it makes sense

As far as specs go, I havent got a clue. I guess the best start point platform would be a STi RA import, low ratio box and adjustable diff.

See you at Santa Pod if the weather get better .

cheers

chrisp
MY98 in 'agressive' red

Old 18 February 2000, 08:51 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Mike

What you need is a book called The Grey Guide, all about Japanese Grey Imports. Mail me if you want a copy - I'm the author

Old 18 February 2000, 08:53 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Mike

What you could do with is a book called The Grey Guide, all about Japanese Grey Imports. Mail me if you want a copy - I'm the author

Old 19 February 2000, 04:05 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dear Chrisp,
NO - it's my girlfriend who wants one! You know, girlie 4wd car for a girlie .

I will (probably) never driver it - couldn't stand for my street cred to take any further a dive! And if I did, it would be incognito, so that none of you lot could ever take the pith!
LOL
Mike
Old 20 February 2000, 09:52 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Hi Mike,

I looked into this before I bought my current car. The best base car for tuning would seem to be the STI 3 (RA?). This car has got, I have been informed, the Closed deck block. The STI/IHI VF23 ball-bearing turbo is the highest flowing turbo in a factory standard car (the old style engines had a similar sized unit, but not ball-bearing based). The car runs a lower compression ratio than the later STI cars, (8:1 IIRC), this, in conjunction with the strong block, makes for the best base for tuning.

My car has an exhaust and cone filter. The management is currently factory standard. The car pulled 290-295bhp at Powerstation with the boost limited to 14psi to prevent overboosting. Now I have found the right sized vac restrictor, the car is boosting upto 19psi, so power is probably improved a little .

I was lent one of those accelerometer based performance meters recently. On my only attempt so far the car pulled 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and 60-0 in 123 feet, with a passenger on board. I am sure I could improve both these figures with practice, but why bother!

Ok, these figures may not be that impressive to you and your all conquering blue oval special (daggenham dustbin?), but the engine is standard except for the exhaust and filter! I bet it would impress a cossy in the same state of tune.

Mail/phone me off-line if you want to discuss/chat about things further. TTFN...

Moray
(STI 3 RA V-Limited)
Old 20 February 2000, 09:59 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

PS: Make sure you look for an RA bodyshelled car. The RA weight is about 130/150 kg lighter than the standard STIs!
Old 20 February 2000, 10:44 PM
Area 52 Autosport
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham with 620BHP & 530lb/ft @1.5bar boost on road fuel.
Hi Mike

Unlike Ford, there appears very little consistency between the closed deck blocks etc. If the worst came to the worst and you found that when taking the motor apart it didn't have the closed deck afterall, then that is no real drama as you can buy one easily enough.

STi Type-R and STi Type RA are a good starting point. Don't be confused with just the WRX Type-R and the WRX RAs.

1997 is a good start as Moray suggests.

To give you an idea, we have seen closed deck blocks with and without under piston oil spray. A 22B for instance did not have it where you would expect it to have everything available!!

As I said, the versions listed above give you a better fighting chance of getting lucky!

Kind regards

Ben