ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Callnet0800

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2000, 11:19 AM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone out there know anything about these people? They seem to be offering 0800 internet access, ie no call charges.
Where's the catch I wonder?
Old 06 February 2000, 04:52 PM
PEELY
Scooby Regular

Had a quick look at the web site-looks as though you have to buy one of their PC's first, starting at round about £1000. Not free after all !
Old 06 February 2000, 05:13 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

I use Screaming.net which give you free off-peak net access.

You do have to convert your line to Localtel to qualify though...

Thanks

Gavin
Old 06 February 2000, 05:44 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs down

its not free at all!!
be brave and click on their register page. it gives details, they send you a bill for the 0800 calls!, they are only free from b.t. in addition you have to buy a special dialler costing £20!
alan
Old 06 February 2000, 08:30 PM
ChrisB

Pete,

Have a read of some articles on The Register (start here :
Old 07 February 2000, 12:11 AM
Stu
Scooby Regular

GavinP,

How does Localtel compare to BT - Are they cheaper, I've been considering changing over.

thanks
Stu
Old 07 February 2000, 11:41 AM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Took this from the registration page :

To enjoy FREE Internet access couldn't be easier. Complete the registration form, giving your credit / debit cards details, and at the end of each month you will be sent a detailed bill of all the calls made using CallNet Telecom. 7 days later you will be charged for those calls made. You will still receive a bill from BT for your line rental and any calls made not using CallNet Telecom.

In order to access 30% savings you will need a CallNet Telecom dialler. This simple device merely plugs unobtrusively into the wall and lets you make calls in the normal way. No special codes to remember or extra digits to dial.

The dialler costs £19-99 and will be despatched directly to your home. Upon installation your FREE Internet service will be activated. As a valued CallNet Telecom customer you will also receive £20 of FREE calls to cover the cost of the dialler.

From what I've read and understand, they charge you for normal calls using their box, which they also say save you 30% on BT, but the internet access is free.

Haven't tried it myself, but I too have heard all about the access problems and slow connection rates.

PFF
Old 07 February 2000, 01:39 PM
Mark Johnson
Scooby Regular

This is the latest article on callnet - I would suggest avoidance.

MONDAY FEBRUARY 7TH 2000
Posted 07/02/2000 12:04pm by Tim Richardson

CallNet back in action

CallNet 0800 -- the ISP that claims to offer "no catch" 24/7 0800 access to the Net -- began accepting new customers at the weekend, more than three months after first suspending registrations back in November.

The ISP was forced to drop the gate and restrict access to the service only days after the service went live in late October after being inundated with Net users eager for toll-free access.

A spokesman for the ISP said the backlog had now been cleared, despite promises in December that the ISP would be accepting new customers by Christmas.

Punters looking to sign on to the service will have to fork out £19.99 for a CallNet Telecom dialler, which automatically routes all phone calls via CallNet's network -- which is at odds with CallNet's "no catch" marketing mantra.

Although CallNet will refund the outlay with £20 worth of free phone calls, it means that CallNet's new users will effectively be tied to its network for their phone calls, as well as Net access.

In that respect there is little difference between CallNet, LocalTel, TelNet and any other telco that offers varying amounts of toll-free access to the Net as part of a general telecoms package.

Despite this, CallNet is upbeat about its relaunch. It has half-a-million diallers ready to be dispatched to new users although those who register online (www.callnet0800.com) will be dealt with ahead of those who call CallNet's helpline on 0906 944 4040, a spokesman for the company said.

Either way, don't expect to register online today and surf for nowt tomorrow. It could take as long as 28 days before the diallers and registration details arrived neatly boxed on doorsteps up and down the country. ®

Old 08 February 2000, 09:36 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

...and what are the tolls for the calls - BT 0800 is full national rate - it is just that the service provider pays for it when you all - not you.
Old 08 February 2000, 07:34 PM
Si
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

I've been using Screaming.net/Localtel since launch. It's true that in the early days you regulary had 20+ attempts to connect but now the worst is 1 or 2, although I generally only use it evenings/weekend(don't know what it's like during the day).

All calls are 10% cheaper than BT and Friends & Families discount schemes etc are all catered for.

Si
Old 08 February 2000, 07:42 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

I monitor the ISP newsgroups a lot. From whats being posted the old adage "Get what you pay for" rings true.

subscription isps are offering the fastest connections, most reliable services.
of all the 0845 "free" ones freeserve is the most popular and reliable..

there have been a number of 0800 completely free isps..they have died...

pays yer money (or not) takes yer choices.
Old 09 February 2000, 12:38 PM
Si
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

I agree with what Lee says in part i.e 'You get what you pay for' except....

IMHO Freeserve is rubbish.

Screaming.net offers FREE internet access at certain times. FREEserve do not offer free internet access EVER, you still have to pay for the call. They started a trend and I salute them for that, but that's it.

However, if you don't rely on Internet access for your livelyhood etc. then I can recommend screaming.net (and no, I don't work for them).

Lets face it, the more companies like Screaming.net that attempt to break BT's monopoly the better. We should support them rather than deride them.

Si
Old 09 February 2000, 03:18 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

bit harsh me thinks.

freeserve is the only free isp I've tried where I can get a reliable ISDN connection every time. Loads of other isps connect but don't sort out an ip address/lose connections after a few minutes etc.

however I have an open mind..I've never tried screaming..I'll give it a go and let you know..
Old 09 February 2000, 03:38 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

nah, just looked at screaming.net

no newsgroups.
only single 64k isdn channel.
requires a move to localtel
help pages full of apologies for various problems..mailservers to be upgraded etc etc

maybe when they've been going for a while, but at the moment, for my needs, freeserve is still the best.
Old 09 February 2000, 04:19 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Lee

Can you channel bond with Freeserve to get 128k then?? I thought it was only 64k?
Not that I'm really bothered because I get free BT Internet. Really good product BT Internet, only costs blah, blah, blah, blah.
Old 10 February 2000, 07:31 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

psst..don't tell anyone !

yes , freeserve only supports 64K. I use uklinux.net for 128K
Old 10 February 2000, 07:42 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Stu,

Apologies for the delay in responding (I was up in bonny Scotland) - yes, I agree with Si - about 10% cheaper.

The point about access in the past was true but they seem pretty sorted now.

I am considering subscribing to AOL (in addition to Screaming.net and Netcom) for cheap use during the day - on the rare occasions I am at home.

I have also found that facilities can be limited with the "freebie" ISP's but there again, I just disconnect and use Netcom for any "in depth" sessions.

When accessing the BBS off-peak, screaming.net is fine - just imagine how much that saves me on a monthly basis!

Thanks

Gavin
Old 11 February 2000, 03:11 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

The best place to find out about these 'free' dial-up services and how they work, what the service is like, and what they really cost is to go to the