Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Got an Impreza? Then why don't I know about it??? :)

Old 31 January 2000, 12:31 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Okay, so the <B><I>
Old 31 January 2000, 02:16 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm added - how about some of you other guys? ChrisP, maybe you can take some electronic mug-shots of some of us at Donno to put on there?

Richard
Old 31 January 2000, 09:59 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yes I will have me digi cam with me at donno. I will roam the paddock and get some piccies. I will forward these onto to you Mark with owners name and description. I was going to put them on my web page but it seems sensible to have them all in one place .

Speak to me at donno if anyone wants there motor on. Or email me your reg plate, and details (name, sti/wrx/uk/MY etc) and I will take the pictures in the paddock, if I can find the car .

Mark I will send you mine with the donnington bunch.

Cheers

chrisp
Old 31 January 2000, 10:02 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I should add I will NOT forward reg plates and I WILL blank all reg plates UNLESS the owner wants me to leave them showing.

Also you BBS nickname would be handed as well.

Cheers

chrisp

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 31-01-2000).]
Old 01 February 2000, 09:40 AM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Excellent.. thanks for doing this Chris. Are you sure you have enough space in the camera though for 220 Scoobs again? Might get you to take a picture of mine again, but clean this time...

Richard
Old 01 February 2000, 11:36 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Yes, thanks Chris. Sounds excellent.

I like the idea of adding the BBS handle - if anyone else whose name isn't obvious would like to pass it on, I'll add a field to the owners DB.

And I look forward to seeing plenty more piccies. Ideally I'd like 'em about 100x120 and jpg (keeps 'em < 10k for a quick load time) but as long as they're not 10Mb I can squish 'em myself.

The 'owners by model' and 'owners by modification' trees are up and working too - any comments/feedback?

Mark
Old 02 February 2000, 01:32 PM
Oge
Scooby Regular

All right, I'm there! Really good thing this list!
Old 03 February 2000, 11:25 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Two concerns.

One, think this is a good thing as it is nice to have a register.

Two, Is it wise to advertise over a public forum the contents of your car, where you live and your number plate?

Think we should keep this tread alive though and leave it to peoples discretion. Or perhaps add some security, can it be done?
Old 03 February 2000, 02:38 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

This was a concern by lots of people when the page was originally started by Andrew Bolton. However, there are a few points to consider:

1. If you're worried about security, don't put your car on the page. If it's already on and you're worried, tell me and I'll remove it immediately.

2. Regardless of whether people give me details, I won't be posting any info about alarms or security measures on cars (that would be just daft).

3. There's no obligation about how much information goes up there. For example, most people only put partial number plates (e.g., S???DFG).

4. Nobody is posting 'where they live'. The idea is to give some vague haunts so that if, say, I see a DBM 99 Prodrive Scoob in Guildford, I can check and see if it's somebody on the page and maybe say hello via email. And if any criminals can find my car from just "Near Maidstone" then the chances are it'll be nicked anyway - regardless of being on the page.

5. I'm not convinced that there is a security risk anyway. The most likely scenario would be that a potential theif would see the person's details on the page and somehow find (and then steal) their car. Personally, if a car was to be 'stolen' to order, I think they'd have much more success using other methods (such as waiting at a dealer and following somebody home after a service/purchase).

Anyway, let me know what you think, and if there's something I've missed. If anyone's got any ideas as to how to improve security (if, indeed, there is a risk) please let me know (either post here or