Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scooby Thefts

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2000, 09:42 PM
RoryMcC
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi I've just bought a March '99 Turbo from a mate and the reports of how appealing they are to thieves worrys me as it is parked overnight in a not particularly nice London street sometimes. I'm looking for a garage but they are very difficult (and expensive) to get hold of. Anyone got any suggestions? or should I just resign myself to worrying. I bought one of those stupid looking wheel things but a mate said it would only attract attention from amateurs.
Old 01 February 2000, 09:46 PM
Philip Thurlow
Scooby Regular

you need one of them flame throwing things stuck under your doors like they have in Africa - I think they are illegal in this country though (uk) must grumble !
Old 01 February 2000, 10:08 PM
V697DMO
Scooby Regular

I think the bottom line is if they want it they are going to get, no matter what you do. I did hear that some insurrance companies do not pay up if the damage you are claiming for was because of items you had fitted tothe car (don't know where I heard, or if its true, but giventhe blood sucking nature of insurance companies it might be)

Enjoy your car and take simple sensible precautions with where you leave it.
Old 01 February 2000, 10:24 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

RoryMcC

I have an MY00 Turbo in a high risk insurance district in London.

In addition to alarm / immobiliser when parked I use two physical devices;

-a Disklok (stupid steering wheel thing) circa £80 from Halfords - but very effective in the Testers minds.

-a Barrier Deadlock - essentially a welded on gearbox deterrent that locks the vehicle in reverse and is armed through a lock fitted to the inside of the cabin through the passenger footwell side of the transmission tunnel.(circa £250)

I think a good steering wheel lock on a vehicle parked in a public place will put the 'have a go boys off.' More serious kit like the Barrier product will most likely deter the more experienced thief.

There is no perfect solution but you can reduce the odds further with extra measures such as these, beyond alarm and immobiliser.

Most Scoobs I see parked in London ( not many ) seem to have no additional security at all.

Ed