Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Best (New-ish) family car for £30k-ish?

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2019, 04:08 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Best (New-ish) family car for £30k-ish?

So looking to change the wife's car soon. Would ideally like to get an ex-demo car of some sort and like something a bit more practical like an estate or SUV type thing with tailgate and load space for holidays. We've currently got 2 saloon cars for daily use and I'm really missing an estate car.

So far the new Golf R 4 motion estate takes my fancy and if I can get one in my price range a new shape Range Rover, possibly Evoke. Would love a C63 touring.

What would you guys recommend? She's a petrol head too, so wouldn't say no to something fast but would equally settle for something comfortable and practical.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10 July 2019, 04:13 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

JDM 2.5 Turbo Gen 4 Legacy Estate. Half the money but all the fun and not a sheeple.
Old 10 July 2019, 04:47 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
JDM 2.5 Turbo Gen 4 Legacy Estate. Half the money but all the fun and not a sheeple.
haha. She's about to change jobs again and do quite a bit of mileage so really need something other than a Subaru that isn't killer on fuel.

Besides, every 2.5 Subaru I've ever owned has eventually needed an engine rebuild and I wouldn't wish a 2.5 Subaru on anyone else, even my wife!
Old 10 July 2019, 04:58 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

any of these tickle your pickle...............

https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/2955936

https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/2945362

https://used.landrover.co.uk/model-r...etails/2967932

https://used.landrover.co.uk/model-r...etails/2963839

https://used.landrover.co.uk/model-r...etails/2957918

https://usedcars.jeep.co.uk/single-u...1906068718629/

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...5-0f2595d7a285

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...9-f8dd9327d5f8

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...7-b286105b2112

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...f-f5b611e41378

https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar/...1,PRICE_SALE,U

https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar/...1,PRICE_SALE,U
Old 10 July 2019, 08:18 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I would buy a Golf R estate !

I had 3 when at my previous employer. The best all-rounder i've had - loads of space, subtle and as fast in the real world as any car of the 97 other cars I have had since 1987 !

I would recommend getting one with adaptive damping - its not essential as its well damped as standard but it just adds that extra 10% to handling or comfort when you want it.

Blend in and blitz anything when you feel like it !
Old 10 July 2019, 08:47 PM
Scooby Stevo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mates just bought a focus estate st line, nice looking motor and over 50 mpg for the 2 litre diesel
Old 10 July 2019, 09:32 PM
Alby203
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Im pretty sure you can get a MY13-15 rs4 avant at that money.
Old 10 July 2019, 09:36 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Im currently knocking about in an s-max.

Hands down the best family car I've ever had. Massive boot, rear seats that are big enough to fit adults, reasonably economical fuel wise + cheap servicing, and doesn't even drive badly.

I love it, and would have another one if the current one expired.
Old 11 July 2019, 08:58 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Do quite like the idea of the later RS4 avant estate and I know the wife would love one as a daily! The Jag SUV in Shreksta's link is interesting, it looks to have some great performance figures. Hadn't really considered one before. I don't really want a BMW as I've done that before.
Old 11 July 2019, 10:11 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Alby203
Im pretty sure you can get a MY13-15 rs4 avant at that money.
That's what I'm looking into getting at the min. Same 30k budget but the Subaru will be going unfortunately.
Old 11 July 2019, 10:17 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
That's what I'm looking into getting at the min. Same 30k budget but the Subaru will be going unfortunately.
Have to say it's tempting, the newer shape RS4 and RS6 models are lovely cars.

Thankfully my Subaru will be going nowhere!!!!
Old 11 July 2019, 03:55 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Have to say it's tempting, the newer shape RS4 and RS6 models are lovely cars.

Thankfully my Subaru will be going nowhere!!!!
I've just realised i never use it so it costs me more than i need to keep it. When i do take a notion to go out, it's to thrash and i neither get the opportunity or the desire to thrash my nice car. Girlfriend is looking a new car so I'm thinking of going halfers on the rs4 (or rs3) for her to do her short commute but still be something nice for me to drive when required.
Then for thrashing purposes i'll buy an mx5 or something thats pretty disposable. If it blows up or breaks I'll just buy another and probably still not spend what i do on the subaru before it turns a wheel !
My only problem is what I'll get for the Subaru, values are dire these days.

I'm not clued up on my Audi but she wants a big car (Evoque or something) but only does 50miles a week so no need for diesel.
I'm thinking a petrol estate but still want something with a bit of omph for me to enjoy ! It'll either be an older RS or a newer S-line with our budget. I'd just worry on the running costs (tax and servicing) on an RS. But at least the costs will be split between us
Old 11 July 2019, 04:04 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
I've just realised i never use it so it costs me more than i need to keep it. When i do take a notion to go out, it's to thrash and i neither get the opportunity or the desire to thrash my nice car. Girlfriend is looking a new car so I'm thinking of going halfers on the rs4 (or rs3) for her to do her short commute but still be something nice for me to drive when required.
Then for thrashing purposes i'll buy an mx5 or something thats pretty disposable. If it blows up or breaks I'll just buy another and probably still not spend what i do on the subaru before it turns a wheel !
My only problem is what I'll get for the Subaru, values are dire these days.

I'm not clued up on my Audi but she wants a big car (Evoque or something) but only does 50miles a week so no need for diesel.
I'm thinking a petrol estate but still want something with a bit of omph for me to enjoy ! It'll either be an older RS or a newer S-line with our budget. I'd just worry on the running costs (tax and servicing) on an RS. But at least the costs will be split between us
That's a good call on the RS3 actually, I've always liked them and may look into one. MPG will be far better than the RS4 or 6 I'd have thought which will suit the wife's journeys to work and back when required.

I'm the same as you, if I get something practical it has to have a bit of oomph.
Old 11 July 2019, 04:08 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

I had these three back to back for 6 months each:-

Golf R estate dsg (300ps)
Audi S4 Avant (354ps)
Golf R estate (310ps before they downgraded it for WLTP regs).

Either of the Golfs were a match on the road for the S4 despite the power and price difference. More nimble, better steering, lighter. They have all the usable low and mid range power you could want in a practical shape. Not flashy inside but 36-38 mpg on the motorway when my 2.5 Forester turbo dog wagon would do 25-27 at best.

Drive one.
Old 11 July 2019, 04:11 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Do quite like the idea of the later RS4 avant estate and I know the wife would love one as a daily! The Jag SUV in Shreksta's link is interesting, it looks to have some great performance figures. Hadn't really considered one before. I don't really want a BMW as I've done that before.
try the jag mate, everybody is doing the golf/rs3 thing..............yawn
Old 11 July 2019, 04:25 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Problem is that the likes of RS4/3's or Golf R's aren't family cars, like an Smax, A6 or what we've used for the last 100000 miles, a Skoda superb 4x4. When your kids are teenagers, with all the crap and friends they cart about, you just want something large and economical.
I originally looked at a A6 3.0l biturbo, but after 2 hrs with an Audi salesman I realised what I needed was a workhorse at half the price (and a gun for the salesman) Unless you've got money to burn, a nice car will be trashed on the school run, puked on, and scratched about, so best to get something that you don't care about!
Old 11 July 2019, 06:11 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Sorry for jumping into this thread BPR but I'd say we'll be discussing the same cars.

My circumstances are that me and her are both into our cars , both have grown up only child kids that do their own thing , and even at that both have grown up knowing how much me and her love our cars so no slamming doors or eating in the car etc !

"Family car" is probably the wrong term for me. She lacks confidence on the road (drives a Vauxhall Adam and feels vunerable) so wants a big car with good power. We both do extremely low miles so diesel is out. Would need a car for holiday luggage and dump runs but not a work horse as such , will be kept well and looked after (i don't think an estate is needed but can see where i could be handy but that may be a discussion needed between us). I want power as I'll miss the power when scooby goes. Also 4wd would be nice.
Also sharing the annual running costs and splitting the origional buying budget means we get the enviable choice of something nice !
It's all looking towards a sporty petrol estate/saloon to me.

Last edited by CharlySkunkWeed; 11 July 2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11 July 2019, 06:44 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

What about the Juke Nismo RS and get Abbey to put a map on it . good on fuel, a bit off space and relatively fast .
Down points are front wheel drive and not that big.
Old 11 July 2019, 08:57 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

F10 m5
Old 11 July 2019, 09:01 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

This thread seems to be turning into which fast car rather than brand new'ish family car?
Old 11 July 2019, 09:04 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flat4x4-again
This thread seems to be turning into which fast car rather than brand new'ish family car?
why? f10 M5 is perfect family car
Old 11 July 2019, 09:22 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flat4x4-again
In the OP the missus is a petrol head and is after something a bit fast aswell as being a family car.
Old 11 July 2019, 09:42 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a good call on the RS3 actually, I've always liked them and may look into one. MPG will be far better than the RS4 or 6 I'd have thought which will suit the wife's journeys to work and back when required.

I'm the same as you, if I get something practical it has to have a bit of oomph.
RS3 here. Round town I see 17-19mpg. On a long mway run the best I’ve seen is 30mpg. It’s got bags more character than the RS4 but it’s small inside. No bad thing for me but I’m only 5ft 8” on a good day. The boot is tiny.
i love it but it’s a fairly numb tool when chucking it round the back roads. An M140i is way, way more fun but for me the 5 pot sound track and the wet weather bashing Quattro is more important. If you can stretch to an FL model, they’ve shaved 25kg out of the engine alone which has done a world of good for the heavy nose. Due to regs though, they don’t sound anywhere nears as good as the PFL : D
Old 11 July 2019, 09:46 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Ok, left field, how about an Audi SQ5 if you need the space and want suv over a petrol estate that you mentioned as being your preference?
Old 11 July 2019, 09:51 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
RS3 here. Round town I see 17-19mpg. On a long mway run the best I’ve seen is 30mpg. It’s got bags more character than the RS4 but it’s small inside. No bad thing for me but I’m only 5ft 8” on a good day. The boot is tiny.
i love it but it’s a fairly numb tool when chucking it round the back roads. An M140i is way, way more fun but for me the 5 pot sound track and the wet weather bashing Quattro is more important. If you can stretch to an FL model, they’ve shaved 25kg out of the engine alone which has done a world of good for the heavy nose. Due to regs though, they don’t sound anywhere nears as good as the PFL : D
I wouldnt say RS3 is family friendly, too small
Old 12 July 2019, 08:14 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

We have just bought a touran for £30k. 7 seater and so far amazing
Old 12 July 2019, 08:27 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

What about a Levorg?
Not the fastest thing but quite a nice car.
That's if the Mrs doesn't mind driving a CVT.
Shame we don't get it in STI flavour!
Old 13 July 2019, 08:20 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

It would probably help if you said how many kids you have, at what age. So far I can only see that you want something fast and great to drive, which doesn't square up with the reality of "family cars", unless you splash on a straight liner AMG estate ,RS6 , Chelsea tractor, or something similar . If you are choosing an RS3 as a family car, I would question your priorities towards your kids, tbh.

Last edited by hedgecutter; 13 July 2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 13 July 2019, 01:53 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

How about a Volvo Polestar?
Old 13 July 2019, 07:21 PM
jukebox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RSQ3 performance ??

Quick Reply: Best (New-ish) family car for £30k-ish?