ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Euro Import Question ?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2000, 03:02 PM
P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am shortly going to place my order for a MY2000 Impreza Turbo, probably from the Netherlands. Having done a large amount of research etc I have found reference to a model number to get confirmed - C8D EKEM. I think however that this may be the code for the MY1999 spec.

Can anyone confirm this and/or let me know of the correct model code for MY2000?

Thanks
Old 24 January 2000, 03:08 PM
Les
Scooby Regular

Red face

P

Firstly why are you called P, have you not got a real name?

As for the Netherlands Purchase, I've heard a few bad things about these "Uk Spec" models, ie not proper UK Spec etc. Be careful out there P.
Old 24 January 2000, 03:13 PM
richards
Scooby Regular

Les, his name is Matthew Preston and, where exactly did you hear about these 'un-compliant' UK imports? I know at least one person that's brought one in recently without any probs.

Rich.
Old 24 January 2000, 03:19 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

P,

Best thing you can do is subscribe to the 'importingimprezas' mailing list at
Old 24 January 2000, 03:27 PM
Les
Scooby Regular

Wink

Rich

Matt's my mate I was just having a bit of a laugh at his expense!

As for the Euro stories, it's good to hear you know of good examples, I've read various articles in Motoring publications about good and bad stories. Any chance you could provide Matt with some details about your mates successful Import, he's dying to get his ordered asap after driving my MY99 Turbo!

Les
Old 24 January 2000, 03:49 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Been there, done that - had my MY2000 Scoob, sourced in Holland, for 3 months now, with no problems at all. Search for posts by me to find lots of information on the subject, including contact details, why not to use Subaru Aalsmeer in Holland, and what the differences are between MY99 and MY2000 cars.

Cheers
Richard
Old 24 January 2000, 04:23 PM
Nick Lines
Scooby Regular

Talking

Like Richard, been there, done that, got the car...

The differences are: no alarm, no english manual, 1 year warranty (not 3) and no sticker on the back saying "Impreza Turbo 2000 AWD". Oh, and the chassis number has a Y in it instead of an X.

Would you pay 6 grand extra for that?

I picked my car up late November, had it serviced at the local Subaru dealer just before Christmas with no troubles, and the car is generally wonderful. I've lost count of the number of people on the list who either have got or have ordered cars from Holland, but it must be around 35. You'll see the names Gertjan van der Velde and Fritz Kempen crop up again and again, and also Wim Pruijs although Wim has recently supplied two cars without the necessary Certificate of Conformity. This has always been sorted out, but caused unnecessary hassle.

If anyone has any *bad* experience of importing an Impreza from the EU, I'd like to hear it so we can add the details to our FAQ!

The dealers in Holland seem helpful, eager to do business and from my experience (with Gertjan) were great! Bunch of flowers, full tank, more polish than you can shake a stick at...

Sign up at <A HREF=http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi?importingimprezas>The Onelist ImportingImprezas group</A>.

I apologise in advance if it takes a while to approve subscriptions.

Back to the original question: use a dealer that's done it before, and you won't need to know that sort of thing. I can read the model number of the plate on the car if you really want to be happy before you order. Drop me a mail.
Old 24 January 2000, 10:02 PM
I Stancer
Scooby Regular

Cool

No probs with Dutch import . If you can't trust a Dutchman you can't trust anyone . they are very much on our wavelength . I wholeheartedly endorse all the good things said about Gertjan . Top bloke !! (nearly got the hang of this game )

if you want any more detail then nerd-mail me

Ian

[This message has been edited by I Stancer (edited 24-01-2000).]
Old 24 January 2000, 10:06 PM
PEELY
Scooby Regular

Nick
I know you state that it is taking time to process the enquiries for "importing imprezas" at onelist, but i've been waiting for three weeks now and after several emails to yourself, I AM STILL WAITING! Could you please look into my membership application ASAP. Thanks!
IAN
PS. Dying to get on there and have a read.
Old 24 January 2000, 10:13 PM
AlanW
Scooby Regular

Talking

P,
All the info the info provided by Nick and Richard is pukka. I am collecting my MY00 in one week. Join Nick's onelist, as I did. I found out a lot and continue to share a lot. To help folks like you.

Only thing is they forgot to mention is that if you like Sonic Blue (555) then you can get your Dutch car with that colour with full UK spec. which you can't in the UK. Maybe someone at IM doesn't like that colour!!

Alan
Old 25 January 2000, 10:33 AM
Nick Lines
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

ARRGH! 49 pending members on ImportingImprezas! Very many apologies to all who were kept waiting - I thought I had no mail on that account, but it turns out that my (work) net connection has started blocking POP3 through the firewall!

182 messages? Catching up at the moment. should be processed in "about an hour", to quote Vision Express.

Thanks for all the support. I cannot believe we're now over 150 members!

Nick.
Old 25 January 2000, 10:56 AM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Les

By any chance are you a UK dealer feeling the pinch?

Phil (MY2000 full UK spec due in about a month from Holland with a £5k saving!)
Old 25 January 2000, 03:35 PM
Les
Scooby Regular

PhilH

No I'm not a dealer feeling the pinch just a UK model owner feeling the pinch!!! Oh well enjoying my new MY99 so much must try not to worry about £5K!!!

Les
Old 25 January 2000, 08:10 PM
IDRIS
Scooby Regular

P,

As far as I can remember when I ordred mine, the C8D EKEM is for a saloon turbo, the 5-door has a different code to tell the manufacturer in Japan what you have ordered.

Fax the people you are dealing with to find out what the code is now. I think its still the same for saloon turbo.

Good Luck!

*IDRIS*
Old 25 January 2000, 10:00 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

The number I was quoted for a MY00 5 door was H8D EKEM. Does anyone know if that includes the colour. By the way do you all know the price of Imprezas are going up substantially on the 1st February!!!!.

Mark..