ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Advice on Hawkeye wih cracked lining

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2019, 11:14 PM
Parply
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Hawkeye wih cracked lining

My 2007 Black Hawkeye STi has a cracked lining. Luckily the resulting damage seems to have been minimal and well contained. Getting it back on the road means a new block with an estimated cost of at least £3.5k. Although a fantastic road car that I have loved for the 5+ years of ownership I feel it is now time to move on to something with a manufacturers warranty whilst some other financial commitments start to ramp up (kids at university). The conundrum is what to do with the Hawkeye that reasonably maximises the value recovered. I was not thinking of giving it up until this happened and have no real idea what it is worth for breaking, as is right now, or repaired and sold as a running road car. I'm certainly not capable of breaking it myself. In stock and running form it would have been worth about £7k when I put the reg into the usual web sites for a quote. This leads me to think it was worth somewhat more in tuned form and could be similarly worth more if sensibly rebuilt. It has full history with all receipts, was rebuilt and serviced by a mixture of well known tuners (who have always been fantastic to deal with) and Subaru whilst I owned it. About 68k miles with the forged engine rebuild at about 50k. Pioneer sound system with amp and speakers, Grimmspeed TMIC, SC46 turbo, RCM headers, Cobra exhaust, 800cc injectors, aluminum undertray, carbon fibre drive shaft, Exedy pink clutch and lightened flywheel, BC coil overs, Front/rear strut braces, various Whiteline suspension/handling parts, OZ Ultraleggera alloys with McGard lug nuts, privacy glass, and maybe a few other things I forgotten but will have receipts for. Bodywork has a few supermarket dents and scratches but basically in ok condition given age. Interior is in good condition with no stains, tears, or scratches. Thanks in advance for all sensible suggestions.
Old 28 February 2019, 08:55 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Sounds like a good spec and if I were you I'd be contacting the usual breakers like Matt @ MB and Richard @ East Kent Subaru. They will hopefully recognise the potential of the parts and give you a good price to buy.
Old 28 February 2019, 09:13 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Who built the motor that lasted 18000 miles? It's always good to know whose builds last.
Old 28 February 2019, 09:34 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Who built the motor that lasted 18000 miles? It's always good to know whose builds last.
To be fair, sc46 and 2.5 liners are probably always a risk if pushed.
Old 28 February 2019, 09:40 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
To be fair, sc46 and 2.5 liners are probably always a risk if pushed.
I totally agree.

I wouldn't want to push an open deck 2.5 past 450bhp which the SC46 is capable of.

Can't blame the builder on this one I'm afraid.
Old 28 February 2019, 01:04 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

knew there was a reason for a CDB insert....................
Old 28 February 2019, 01:04 PM
Parply
Scooby Newbie

Car was running about 415bhp and built to be as reliable as one might reasonably expect with the parts used. Tuner has been awesomely helpful all the time I've been going to them and I would never blame them for this unlucky failure. I knew the risks and accepted them.
Old 28 February 2019, 01:11 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
knew there was a reason for a CDB insert....................
Old 28 February 2019, 01:13 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Parply
Car was running about 415bhp and built to be as reliable as one might reasonably expect with the parts used. Tuner has been awesomely helpful all the time I've been going to them and I would never blame them for this unlucky failure. I knew the risks and accepted them.
My comment about the builder wasn't aimed at you, was a response to hedgecutter who was probing for a name at the time. I realise you have a sensible view on this.
Old 28 February 2019, 01:24 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Doesn't matter how carefull you are, odd things will always crop up. Seems to be closed decking the 2.5 reduces risks massively and give the cost of converting, which isnt massive in the grand scheme of a forged engine build, it would be a no brainer to have it done. (the last 2 i've have built been closed decked and i wouldn't have one without out now)
Old 01 March 2019, 05:45 PM
Parply
Scooby Newbie

So should I conclude that breaking is the way to recover maximum value ? Or perhaps better phrased as lose the minimum amount of value invested as I've always more realistically viewed this situation ...
Old 01 March 2019, 06:06 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

So should I conclude that breaking is the way to recover maximum value ? Or perhaps better phrased as lose the minimum amount of value invested as I've always more realistically viewed this situation ...
if car has any sentimental value then a rebuild and keep would be the way forward

ifonly a car then cut your losses indeed
only you know what the car means to you and only you can decide to break or make
Old 01 March 2019, 06:18 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Sadly yes, you'll get more selling to a recognised breaker than you will selling privately with faults.

Good luck. Hope you sort it one way or another.
Old 01 March 2019, 09:09 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

dibs on the rcm headers if you break please

what brand are the injectors?
Old 01 March 2019, 10:39 PM
Parply
Scooby Newbie

Shreksta not sure on the injectors. Would need to check the invoice or even with the tuner. Anyway I don't remotely have the skills to break myself. It will have to go to a breaker. If this happens I can try to remember to pass on your request.
Old 01 March 2019, 11:45 PM
Parply
Scooby Newbie

ZANY good points. It was a very personal project building this car. I learned a lot about car engineering and I've had great times with it. At the same time I also found this community which I have found informative, amusing, and helpful. I hoped it would prove reliable and last at least a few more years without more than sensible maintenance. Partly because I could see no plausible replacement and partly because I need to be sensible over the next few years with lots of children going to uni. I was holding out for an STi 4 wheel drive BRZ or a resurrection of the WRX in the longer term. However this failure has already prompted me to jump to what many seem to claim to be the best hatch of the current generation. The cost of this means I'm now committed to it for several years and just want a graceful exit with the STi that recovers a fair proportion of my investment. I've not mentioned the name of the replacement because I'm still getting over the disappointment. A fantastic piece of engineering with a staggering array of features and extra comforts over the STi. Sadly the initial impression is that the driving experience is soulless and numb. And yes I had a test drive and even expected this. Call it the difference between electronic vs mechanical. Maybe some tweaking will help but I would rather keep the several years of warranty for now.
Old 04 March 2019, 06:26 PM
Guardian-X-
Scooby Regular

I'm in a vaguely comparable situation ... been ages since i made a post here but just wanted to wish you best of luck with the situation.
Old 04 March 2019, 08:47 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Me also
don’t break it
Is it sitting without engine in situ atm
Old 04 March 2019, 10:42 PM
Parply
Scooby Newbie

MattyBR took the STi for breaking today, He gave me what I believe to be a good price and was really easy to deal with. The key parts are listed earlier in this thread for those who are interested.

But I'm gutted. Much more than I ever expected to be. I wonder whether I will ever drive a car so personal and personally enjoyable again. OK some very capable people did the hard work but I made this car. It was my spec and I loved every moment I spent driving it. I loved the looks from people when they heard it. I loved the firmness of the suspension as the sound of the turbo gulping air helped the engine push me back into my seat whilst it accelerated in exactly the direction I pointed it towards. Way quicker than any other car I ever came across. I never knew how great it really was until I started to drive what another old git seemed to think is a baby GTR and the best of the current generation of hot hatches. Personally I suspect that the fat from his middle aged spread has started to invade and cloud his brain.

And then Keith Flint dies today. When I bought the STi I knew exactly which song I was going to play first in it. Spitfire by Prodigy. I played it on a loop during the 150 miles home after picking it up thinking both were awesome. And then booked the STi in for a whole load of suspension work when I could hardly walk after I got home.

I've driven an Impreza from the first year of the new age model. I will miss sharing a common bond with this community. If I ever win the lottery one of the first things I will be doing is looking for a Hawkeye and I know exactly what I will be having done to it.

From now on I will look at every Hawk and wonder whether some part of my STi lives on in it.

And Keith I hope you are at peace. The loss of my car doesn't come remotely close to the greatness of your music or the tragedy of losing you.
Old 05 March 2019, 09:45 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive crashed my car twice (not the current one, others). Both were while listening to prodigy. Theres something about that music that makes me drive like a ********...
Old 10 March 2019, 03:31 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

MattyBR took the STi for breaking today, He gave me what I believe to be a good price and was really easy to deal with. The key parts are listed earlier in this thread for those who are interested.

But I'm gutted. Much more than I ever expected to be. I wonder whether I will ever drive a car so personal and personally enjoyable again. OK some very capable people did the hard work but I made this car. It was my spec and I loved every moment I spent driving it. I loved the looks from people when they heard it. I loved the firmness of the suspension as the sound of the turbo gulping air helped the engine push me back into my seat whilst it accelerated in exactly the direction I pointed it towards. Way quicker than any other car I ever came across. I never knew how great it really was until I started to drive what another old git seemed to think is a baby GTR and the best of the current generation of hot hatches. Personally I suspect that the fat from his middle aged spread has started to invade and cloud his brain.

And then Keith Flint dies today. When I bought the STi I knew exactly which song I was going to play first in it. Spitfire by Prodigy. I played it on a loop during the 150 miles home after picking it up thinking both were awesome. And then booked the STi in for a whole load of suspension work when I could hardly walk after I got home.

I've driven an Impreza from the first year of the new age model. I will miss sharing a common bond with this community. If I ever win the lottery one of the first things I will be doing is looking for a Hawkeye and I know exactly what I will be having done to it.

From now on I will look at every Hawk and wonder whether some part of my STi lives on in it.

And Keith I hope you are at peace. The loss of my car doesn't come remotely close to the greatness of your music or the tragedy of losing you.
any idea when he is listing it in the breakers section?
Old 10 March 2019, 04:03 PM
Parply
Scooby Newbie

@the shreksta I have no idea when Matty might start posting about parts. He did confirm that it was going to be broken last week and I've already informed the DVLA. Maybe PM him ?
Old 10 March 2019, 05:39 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

@the shreksta I have no idea when Matty might start posting about parts. He did confirm that it was going to be broken last week and I've already informed the DVLA. Maybe PM him ?
ok buddy thanks, am hoping to grab the rcm headers from it
Old 10 March 2019, 05:45 PM
wrx2005
BANNED

Originally Posted by the shreksta
ok buddy thanks, am hoping to grab the rcm headers from it
you know rcm headers are rebranded gt spec ones with rcm tax added on.
Also known for cracking