Which back box?

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2019, 07:29 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts
Default Which back box?

Hi All,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I've search the forums and can't find anything useful.

I currently have 2 blobs, a WRX (290bhp) as my daily and an STi (400+bhp) as a weekender. I'm looking for advice on which back box to use on the latter.

Both cars have a Hayward & Scott 3" de-cat system with the WRX using a 3" new age with larger silencer and the STi using a 4.5" Jap style angled back box. The WRX sounds awesome and the STi looks great but is WAY too load. I guess I could add in an additional mid silencer, although would prefer not to.

Soooo, on to the question; what recommendations do people have for something that has the Jap look but won't deafen my neighbors?

Old 20 February 2019, 11:54 AM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

HKS silent hi power? Or perhaps a Prodrive rear silencer? When the prodrive box is mated to a de-res centre and a prodrive or decat downpipe, it's just right for daily drivers. Still rumbles, but its not droney or prone to upsetting the neighbours.
Old 20 February 2019, 11:58 AM
Bryan Gallacher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adam.pah
Hi All,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I've search the forums and can't find anything useful.

I currently have 2 blobs, a WRX (290bhp) as my daily and an STi (400+bhp) as a weekender. I'm looking for advice on which back box to use on the latter.

Both cars have a Hayward & Scott 3" de-cat system with the WRX using a 3" new age with larger silencer and the STi using a 4.5" Jap style angled back box. The WRX sounds awesome and the STi looks great but is WAY too load. I guess I could add in an additional mid silencer, although would prefer not to.

Soooo, on to the question; what recommendations do people have for something that has the Jap look but won't deafen my neighbors?

I think the only way you'll have the freedom of.choice over look, and sound is to go custom.
Old 20 February 2019, 01:27 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

+1 for the hks items and you don’t have to chop your rear bumper up neither
Old 20 February 2019, 02:24 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

Thanks for the advice! I'll take a look at the HKS system although I think that uses a mid pipe silencer so would need to replace the system.
Custom may be a good option! :-)
Old 20 February 2019, 03:56 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for the advice! I'll take a look at the HKS system although I think that uses a mid pipe silencer so would need to replace the system.
Custom may be a good option! :-)
I’ve had a full custom one made at MIJ performance in Bgham in the past and it was ballistic as I wanted so certainly a good option but be sure they work around your bumper

imo you have plenty of choices for your back box

i went for this one

Comes as one piece
Old 20 February 2019, 04:39 PM
Bryan Gallacher
Scooby Regular

Default exhaust

Hi All,

Here a quick link to my custom 3" turbo back exhaust. Straight pipe non resonated. 4" jap style tailpipe.

Car was running and upto temp.

Old 20 February 2019, 04:43 PM
Bryan Gallacher
Scooby Regular

Default exhaust

Full decat. 3" turbo back to a 4" jap style tailpipe. Was mapped immediately after by Andy Forrest. Also de resonated with a cosworth hi flow induction kit. Sounds superb on boost. Slight misfire due to turbosmart dump valve, which is always set to full recirc but still a slight vent. This was also mapped in.
Old 21 February 2019, 01:12 PM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

perhaps even consider an afterburner vortex from Scoobyworld. Nice deep tone, jap look, but actually not deafeningly loud. Had one on my old blob wagon.