ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Fix or Replace? Turbo Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2019, 02:37 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fix or Replace? Turbo Actuator

My turbo isnt holding pressure over 0.8 (basically no boost). After it was sat unused for a while (2 months) it held 1.3, but then after driving it for a day back to 0.8 max. There are no air leaks.

Thinking the spring is shot (stiffened up while sat but then loosened up again).

Whats the best way to remedy this?

Something like this? https://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70...ate-arm-18241/

or buy a new actuator?

or something else?

Cheers

Ash

Last edited by Ash Webster; 11 February 2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11 February 2019, 02:46 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

have you tested the actuator?
Old 11 February 2019, 03:11 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this on my Legacy - the wastegate actuator would not hold boost and would start bleeding pressure. A replacement actuator cured it. - cost about £70, in the end, what with being done for import duties! - Ironically the place I work at makes actuators for OEMs - but unfortunately not worth them doing 'custom parts' as too busy! - probably easier getting and Impreza part anyway.

Don't bother getting an uprated actuator as the boost control system is what really controls your boost levels as long as the actuator is working correctly. Apparently, the old Imprezas could have trouble with the boost control system if the engine oil level was too high and some oil could get sucked into the pipework and impede the pressure control...
Old 11 February 2019, 04:13 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
have you tested the actuator?
have i taken it out to test? no, but all signs point to actuator

Originally Posted by Mick
I had this on my Legacy - the wastegate actuator would not hold boost and would start bleeding pressure. A replacement actuator cured it. - cost about £70, in the end, what with being done for import duties! - Ironically the place I work at makes actuators for OEMs - but unfortunately not worth them doing 'custom parts' as too busy! - probably easier getting and Impreza part anyway.

Don't bother getting an uprated actuator as the boost control system is what really controls your boost levels as long as the actuator is working correctly. Apparently, the old Imprezas could have trouble with the boost control system if the engine oil level was too high and some oil could get sucked into the pipework and impede the pressure control...
aye think it might be the simplest fix - i dont want to mess around with the actuator length as i linked, but will a new actuator not need to be mapped in? (wg crack pressure might be different)...
Old 12 February 2019, 09:59 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

If you get one rated the same then there is no need to get it remapped - Like for the Legacy you can get them in a variety of pressure settings, but not really an advantage unless your mapper suggests it.

The springs weaken with time and don't hold the full pressure that they are originally rated to. I checked my old one with a footpump when the new one arrived to compare it with and there was a noticeable difference in the pressure required to make them move
Old 12 February 2019, 12:19 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

As far as I know a standard VF48 actuator is 0.8bar spring rating. Turbo's like the SC42 have a 1.0bar spring and you can also get stronger like a 1.2bar spring as now fitted to mine, which will allow the turbo to hold better boost towards 2.0bar. If you uprate the spring, then as said it's worth getting the map checked and corrected accordingly. If you fit the same rated actuator then you should be fine.

I was also advised by Turbo Dynamics to never use the Forge actuators as they do not deliver a smooth action in use and can cause jumpy response under boost. Turbo Dynamics never supply these, but can supply other standard and uprated ones at a fraction of the cost.
Old 12 February 2019, 01:55 PM
Jay kay
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have forge on mine (1 bar spring) and its perfectly fine, never had any problems with it. Boosts around 1.5 bar on my Defi gauge
Old 12 February 2019, 04:31 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

if it’s only hitting .8 try cleaning the boost solenoid , it’s an easy job to do , if it works then great if it improves but then ends up back at .8 then you may need a new one , there are two colours so it’s one or the other , use carb cleaner and spray it in both holes
Old 12 February 2019, 04:59 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
As far as I know a standard VF48 actuator is 0.8bar spring rating. Turbo's like the SC42 have a 1.0bar spring and you can also get stronger like a 1.2bar spring as now fitted to mine, which will allow the turbo to hold better boost towards 2.0bar. If you uprate the spring, then as said it's worth getting the map checked and corrected accordingly. If you fit the same rated actuator then you should be fine.

I was also advised by Turbo Dynamics to never use the Forge actuators as they do not deliver a smooth action in use and can cause jumpy response under boost. Turbo Dynamics never supply these, but can supply other standard and uprated ones at a fraction of the cost.
Am i right in thinking the V3 STI has a VF22? Im struggling to identify the actual turbo i have (whilst its in the car) as the numbers have worn off over time... its defnitely an IHI and i can just about make out RHF5 but nothing after. Are there any other ways to ID the turbo apart from removing it haha

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
if it’s only hitting .8 try cleaning the boost solenoid , it’s an easy job to do , if it works then great if it improves but then ends up back at .8 then you may need a new one , there are two colours so it’s one or the other , use carb cleaner and spray it in both holes
i could try that too, cheers. I have a 3 port ready to go on but waiting to get it mapped in with a few other mods. Hasnt helped with ScoobyTek (ScoobySpares) fleetwood closing down (where Andy Carr maps out of),...

I just need to ID the turbo so i can get the correct spring - i've spoke to matty about getting an actuator but he says theyre never in , and also that they vary with turbo so i need to get the specific model...

Last edited by Ash Webster; 12 February 2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12 February 2019, 10:35 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

As above why not clean/check boost solenoid , i had the same symptoms twice , one i cleaned and one i cleaned but had to replace , need to engine reset after
Old 12 February 2019, 10:45 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Very unlikely the actuator spring has suddenly failed weaker like that. Actuator issues would be over boost related usually (split diaphragm, rusted seized arm etc)

I’d be more inclined to go along with a problem with your electronic boost control (as mentioned above) as it soumds
like you’re just getting wastegate pressure and no bleed off of the air to the actuator
Old 13 February 2019, 09:42 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Hi Ash - Andrew Carr did mine - you can get his contact details and see his schedule on his website - you don't need to go through ScoobySpares.

www.teamcarr.net might be best to email him direct - info@teamcarr.net
Old 13 February 2019, 09:48 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I emailed Andrew Carr over a week ago about something and still haven't got a reply. Don't expect anything in a hurry, he's always busy and terrible at coming back to you sometimes. Like most mappers!
Old 14 February 2019, 05:31 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

aye hes like rocking horse **** to get hold of....

hence why i always booked him through scoobytek, they did the hard work for me!

I rang up Teg Sport (lancaster) and lo and behold he maps out of there too!! but apprantly hes been in a bike crash and hurt/broke his wrists or something so hes only doing one day a week and booked up for months.....

Going to get the BCS cleaned this weekend, and if not ill be ordering a few diff replacement springs. I have gauges in the car so i shouldnt overboost and im not stupid enough to fit the max psi rated one first!

Ideally id like to have all my mods fitted and mapped and the problem sorted that way but it doesnt look like Andy will be free anytime soon >.<... will just have to get booked in and be patient.....