ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Best way to dispose of MOT failure Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2019, 10:44 AM
Geoff Twibell
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best way to dispose of MOT failure Impreza

Our much loved, 2-owner (us for the last 14 years) 1998 UK Turbo 5-Door has just failed its MOT for chassis corrosion and a rotten rear subframe. In an ideal world we'd do what we always do - pay up and get it fixed and re-MOTd. However circumstances have changed and both of us are not working currently so sadly it has to go. Externally it's in pretty good nick and despite what the 2nd-hand speedo says it has no more than 120,000 miles on it and four almost new Pirelli P7 tyres on refurbished alloys. Mechanically it's sweet with no whines, rumbles or anything else. The engine was rebuilt with offset con-rods under warranty to reduce piston slap.

This is not a 'what's it worth' post. In the absence of any relevant experience, just seeking advice on the best way to dispose of the car and recover at least some value. It is driveable except for the lack of MOT.

Many thanks,
GeoffT.
Old 16 January 2019, 10:46 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff Twibell
Our much loved, 2-owner (us for the last 14 years) 1998 UK Turbo 5-Door has just failed its MOT for chassis corrosion and a rotten rear subframe. In an ideal world we'd do what we always do - pay up and get it fixed and re-MOTd. However circumstances have changed and both of us are not working currently so sadly it has to go. Externally it's in pretty good nick and despite what the 2nd-hand speedo says it has no more than 120,000 miles on it and four almost new Pirelli P7 tyres on refurbished alloys. Mechanically it's sweet with no whines, rumbles or anything else. The engine was rebuilt with offset con-rods under warranty to reduce piston slap.

This is not a 'what's it worth' post. In the absence of any relevant experience, just seeking advice on the best way to dispose of the car and recover at least some value. It is driveable except for the lack of MOT.

Many thanks,
GeoffT.
contact a breaker or try and sell it on here, good wheels/tyres engine and gearboxes are always needed
Old 16 January 2019, 11:14 AM
Davros 1979
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used CarTakeBack to get rid of a knackered old Skoda. It had a few weeks MOT left tho.
Old 16 January 2019, 01:07 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Dude stick it on ebay. Post some pictures might be interested myself.
Old 16 January 2019, 01:20 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As above stick it on ebay with pics /. details and someone would buy it for spares I reckon and more than you would get for just scrapping it in.
Old 16 January 2019, 03:32 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Have you seen the corrosion. How bad are the rear arches on it etc. I'm not saying the MOT place is lying to you but one car can look significantly different from one tester to another tester. Like certain advisories etc, oh the tread looks low advisory while another might measure and say wait its on the limit of having it noted.
Old 16 January 2019, 04:49 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Any pictures would be Good. Scrap man will give you nothing.
Old 16 January 2019, 05:25 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Yes we need pics
Old 16 January 2019, 06:05 PM
Geoff Twibell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY
Yes we need pics
I'll put some up tomorrow. Two arches are bubbling a little. One rear repaired and repainted last year as part of a rear-end car park shunt from a Volvo insurance settlement, which also covered the impact damage to the bumper, rear panel and hatch.

Front spoiler is a bit scuffed one corner. Lot of welding (~£2k) done last year including strut tower rebuilds to get MOT. So can't imagine it's all that bad.

Would rather it went to good home again but I'm being realistic.

Noticed the disks are lightly rusted, from lack of use. One of the rears may be stuck but it drove fine last November.

Still taxed and insured and not yet SORNed.
GeoffT.
Old 16 January 2019, 06:41 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Sounds good. Where bouts are you by the way?
Old 16 January 2019, 07:42 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

I'll put some up tomorrow. Two arches are bubbling a little. One rear repaired and repainted last year as part of a rear-end car park shunt from a Volvo insurance settlement, which also covered the impact damage to the bumper, rear panel and hatch.

Front spoiler is a bit scuffed one corner. Lot of welding (~£2k) done last year including strut tower rebuilds to get MOT. So can't imagine it's all that bad.

Would rather it went to good home again but I'm being realistic.

Noticed the disks are lightly rusted, from lack of use. One of the rears may be stuck but it drove fine last November.

Still taxed and insured and not yet SORNed.
GeoffT.
sounds a gem look forward to seeing the pics
Old 17 January 2019, 08:39 AM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think everyone on here would rather try and save a decent classic! Than see it go in the bin.... or get broken.
Old 18 January 2019, 04:35 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Geoff get some pics on
Old 19 January 2019, 12:07 PM
Geoff Twibell
Scooby Regular

Two following are the most recent I have. The second when I resprayed the black trim around the RNS window. The original paint had just worn away by washing and cleaning. It also has FSH - full original service book with added pages. If there's genuine interest I'll move to the Sales forum.

Sorry for the delay. We both have health issues at the moment. Wife in hospital two weeks and counting. Me with a back innjury. No sympathy please. Just giving a reason for slow response. Seem to spend all my life either driving to and from and at the hospital in Reading.

First pic is with winter wheels and tyres on.

Geoff T.

Old 19 January 2019, 12:14 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Whers the rust mate. I think you are being had in all honesty. If its as bad as they say you would see something on the outside. I know cars can hide rust on the inside but still, based on all the rust repair you have had.
Old 19 January 2019, 12:19 PM
Geoff Twibell
Scooby Regular

I'll try and find the failure note and the advisories. Head all over the place at the moment...
Old 19 January 2019, 12:26 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

I'll try and find the failure note and the advisories. Head all over the place at the moment...
Mate don't stress, we will try and assist you, was trying to do a MOT history check but couldn't see your plate properly.
Old 19 January 2019, 01:53 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
Whers the rust mate. I think you are being had in all honesty. If its as bad as they say you would see something on the outside. I know cars can hide rust on the inside but still, based on all the rust repair you have had.
++++++1 that is a clean example
Old 21 January 2019, 02:05 PM
Geoff Twibell
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the lack of updates gentlemen. I went over the car again externally this morning and apart from some minor bubbling (probably less than a couple of square inches) on three out of four arches, none having broken through paint yet, there is no visible corrosion. There is also a small scuff on the FNS skirt/spoiler - most probably T-Cuttable. It has also has carried dogs during its life with us so will have an 'odour' about it.

I think I may have taken an overly pessimistic view of things. I know there's a sticky ROS brake and the discs have some surface rust - to be expected after 3 months of no use. Given current situation and physical limitations (my back and life-changing consequences for my wife after her op.) it's probaby no longer the ideal car for us, especially with the Impreza's low seating position.

Mrs.T is (hopefully) coming home tomorrow, at which point we'll gather all the documents and photos and make a pukka for-sale post in the correct forum in due course. It will have to be a sold-as-seen sale I'm afraid. Scooby's are in our blood and we've always owned one the last 21 years - Turbo 4-door, P1 2-door and now this. We'll doubtless get another. But no conventional aspiration or diesel! Mrs.T likes her power. I see a (proper) Forester 2.5 Turbo or maybe even an STi in our future.

And thank you all for your support and bearing with this sentimental old fool. It's been a real help through a difficult period. Selling this will be like giving away both our dogs.

GeoffT.
Old 21 January 2019, 07:10 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

As said just pop the reg up. we can do an mot history check online, gives you all fails on old mots.
Old 22 January 2019, 08:51 AM
Geoff Twibell
Scooby Regular

Reg. is R241FJO. You'll see an unexplained jump in the mileage along the way. That was when I replaced the instruments as the speedometer had failed. Guy (on here) promised to sell me a replacement close to our actual mileage. It was about 42,000 miles more, with the MOT testers dutifully recording the greater figure from then on. But I do have dated, with that day's newspaper in shot, photos showing the original and much higher post-change mileage.

GeoffT

Last edited by Geoff Twibell; 22 January 2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 27 January 2019, 11:26 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate, not had a chance to reply after I looked at the MOT history. I think it was a combination of forgetting and being lazy lol

Have you been taking it to the same MOT Test Centre or was the last one a new place?

There was no mention of any sort of rust and then a full on rust failure. I know classics rust but not that quick unless you parked it up in a salt warehouse and washed it with salt. Seriously mate look at the areas they mention and take pictures.