ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

jump starting my sti

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2018, 07:39 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default jump starting my sti

my car (2007 hawk sti) has been sat for a few weeks and the battery has gone flat, last time this happened i used a booster pack from work and had no issues. im off work at the minute due to injury so i need to start it via jumping off my mrs civic type r, am i safe to go terminal to terminal? i seem to remember that somebody said it could cause a spike, if not ok to do how would i do it?

thanks in advance
Old 26 December 2018, 09:56 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

As you've plenty of time on your hands just put the leads on and start the Honda and let it tick over for a while. So basically use it as a battery charger. Disconnect then start.
Old 26 December 2018, 10:14 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Conect the blacks first. Then red to dead before the working one.
invest in a trickle charger if you can and leave it if you're frequently leaving it to sit.
Old 26 December 2018, 10:21 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
invest in a trickle charger if you can and leave it if you're frequently leaving it to sit.
Ive had one for xmas buddy, a c-tek one. Need to get it started to turn it around to face my garage then connect it all up.

Old 26 December 2018, 10:21 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
As you've plenty of time on your hands just put the leads on and start the Honda and let it tick over for a while. So basically use it as a battery charger. Disconnect then start.
Thanks buddy
Old 26 December 2018, 11:41 AM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I invested in a very nice Li-ion battery pack. Can use it to charge the phone and iPad many times or with the jump leads plugged in, it'll start a 2.5l petrol or 2.0l Diesel car from dead flat. it lives in a pouch in the glove box and lasts about 6 months once charged itself. Amazing things... Otherwise as said above. Good advice.
Old 27 December 2018, 05:52 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Not got your Ctek charger yet shreks?
Old 27 December 2018, 06:00 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
Not got your Ctek charger yet shreks?
yes buddy got one for xmas
Old 06 January 2019, 09:03 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

ive still not around to this due to my injury but am hoping to get it done this week. for some reason im quite apprehensive about jumping it from my mrs car, its a civic type r with the digital dash and i have visions of it screwing it up (be just my luck)

this tells me to do it different to the way you describe

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthu...id=mailsignout
Old 06 January 2019, 09:09 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
ive still not around to this due to my injury but am hoping to get it done this week. for some reason im quite apprehensive about jumping it from my mrs car, its a civic type r with the digital dash and i have visions of it screwing it up (be just my luck)

this tells me to do it different to the way you describe

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthu...id=mailsignout
mice read other posts also about putting live on first but I’ve always done black.
my thinking is that black can’t do damage and it’s best to have an Earth before power goes down - you often get a little spark as the pole touches.

with Honda they are pretty good at having several fuses that will pop before doing damage. -
Old 06 January 2019, 09:14 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

mice read other posts also about putting live on first but I’ve always done black.
my thinking is that black can’t do damage and it’s best to have an Earth before power goes down - you often get a little spark as the pole touches.

with Honda they are pretty good at having several fuses that will pop before doing damage. -
would you just go terminal to terminal or would you ground the black on the dead car somewhere
Old 07 January 2019, 06:23 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

What about removing the battery from the Civic, charging the Civic battery fully - if not fully charged already.
and then jumping the Scoob from the Civic battery that's on the garage floor?
Is that an option?

Surely if the Civic battery starts the Civic, it should be ok to jump leads from that to the scoob battery and off you go?
Old 07 January 2019, 09:49 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Get an extension lead and charge the subaru battery up or take the subaru battery off and charge it but i would not jump start off the honda and when connecting to a car battery you put the posative red on first and the the black negative on last as any sparks could cause one hell of an explosion.
Old 07 January 2019, 09:53 PM
bugeyestuart
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
would you just go terminal to terminal or would you ground the black on the dead car somewhere
I had this happen at the weekend,Jumped my hatch sti off of my van with a set of Tesco jump leads. No issues.
Old 07 January 2019, 10:21 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johned
Get an extension lead and charge the subaru battery up or take the subaru battery off and charge it but i would not jump start off the honda and when connecting to a car battery you put the posative red on first and the the black negative on last as any sparks could cause one hell of an explosion.
This was my idea but it says in the manual it wont charge a battery from complete dead
Old 08 January 2019, 10:11 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Jump started so many cars with leads over the years and not so much as blown a fuse, this is really a non issue & would love to hear any personal bad experiences apart from a high heart rate when things get sparky haha

Or if your really so paranoid about blowing the car up buy one of those booster pack that look like a USB hard-drive, those are capable of jumping the car & pretty sure they can be charged up from mains or USB

If battery is genuinely dead then charging is no use, as will only die over night,

But if its just drained then jump the bitch and take her a good run and everything should be right as rain.
Old 08 January 2019, 11:35 AM
pjarvis6666
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
Jump started so many cars with leads over the years and not so much as blown a fuse, this is really a non issue & would love to hear any personal bad experiences apart from a high heart rate when things get sparky haha

Or if your really so paranoid about blowing the car up buy one of those booster pack that look like a USB hard-drive, those are capable of jumping the car & pretty sure they can be charged up from mains or USB

If battery is genuinely dead then charging is no use, as will only die over night,

But if its just drained then jump the bitch and take her a good run and everything should be right as rain.
My mate once put red to black on the jump leads - almost set his car on fire with lots of melted cables/ smoke
Old 08 January 2019, 11:44 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shrek connection of the positive should be done first before connecting the negative this eliminates the chances of grounding or sparking if your spanner or lead accidentaly touches metal causing a potential bridge or short
when removing terminals the negative should be done first for the same reasons but be careful to move the connection away from any metal Contact for the same reason . Just wrap a cloth around if unsure until battery is removed or replaced out of the way
regards
Old 08 January 2019, 11:56 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by pjarvis6666
My mate once put red to black on the jump leads - almost set his car on fire with lots of melted cables/ smoke
Did that to my cousins 996 4S and it was fine afterwards, although i was scared to turn the key.

Wasn't really that dramatic, like putting a fork in the micro lol

Seen people touch the ends of leads together as well just for ***** and giggles (not Recommended)

Last edited by SmurfyBhoy; 08 January 2019 at 11:57 AM.