ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Twin scroll downpipes, fitting a cat

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2018, 06:58 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Twin scroll downpipes, fitting a cat

At the moment I have a RCM decat twin scroll downpipe on my classic with a 6 speed gearbox. However we have no such thing as decat friendly stations when it's time for vehicle inspection and there's the risk of inspections on the road as well so I would like to have a good 100 cell cat fitted. I know there's Milltek and Hayward & Scott with 100 cell cats but I guess the Milltek won't fit my catback and to be honest the quality of the H&S looks far from impressing. I think the RCM decat downpipe might be made by H&S (not sure but it looks similar) and I had to let a friend better their welds and grind down some ugly bits at the turbo flange.

So I figured that the easiest way would be to weld in a good 100 cell cat in the downpipe, preferably one of those with a 5" core not to limit power too much. But the issue is that the RCM downpipe sits really close to the gearbox casing. It's about 15 mm between the downpipe and the 3 plugs on the gearbox meaning it would be tight even with a normal 4" core 100 cell cat.

Are the twin scroll downpipes supposed to be angled from the turbo flange to the right towards the gearbox casing like this?? Because there's plenty of room to the left. I think my old Invidia single scroll downpipe is more straight and other twin scroll pipes seem to be that way too. It gives very little room to fit a cat.

I don't know what would be the best and easiest way to fit a cat? Perhaps sell this pipe as it is and buy another catted one, or perhaps buying one of those twin scroll turbo dump flanges and weld onto my single scroll Invidia which is much better quality than that RCM pipe.

Last edited by Turbovin; 23 December 2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 23 December 2018, 07:41 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Just run a cat in the mid-pipe instead. The Litchfield / Milltek systems do this. They just use HJS cats in their systems.
Old 23 December 2018, 09:12 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Yes that was my first idea but I'm not sure if it will pass the emissions test with the cat so far downstream. Luckily EU rules have made the HC limit go up from 100 to 200 ppm in Sweden which makes it a little bit easier.

I believe Milltek have or had two versions where the other has the cat in the downpipe.
Old 24 December 2018, 09:07 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

The cat in the mid pipe won't get hot enough to pass emissions; someone on here commented on this last week, on a Litchfield
Old 26 December 2018, 11:11 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

That was what I suspected. It would be interesting to know how far it is from passing the emission limits though. Some cars you need to drive really hard to get them to pass. Also some E85 in the tank could help.

https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...oll-turbo.html It looks like it has a big cat fitted but it's not the nicest downpipe I've seen exactly so I'm not sure if I feel like spending the money on it.
Old 27 December 2018, 12:44 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I have a Milltek full system on my Legacy

It looks like it has 2 cats

Legacy 2.0GT spec.B Milltek system Mid Cat

Legacy 2.0GT spec.B Milltek system Front Cat
I do have trouble with emissions from time to time at MoT - but it has always got though - so far
I wonder if it is worth wrapping the pipe as far as the Mid section cat to keep more heat in?
Old 27 December 2018, 04:52 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

I think it's a resonator in the downpipe so only one cat which explains your problems passing the emissions. The heat wrap could help I guess.
Old 30 December 2018, 09:03 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Turbovin
I think it's a resonator in the downpipe so only one cat which explains your problems passing the emissions. The heat wrap could help I guess.
OK thanks - I will check it closer next time I have it on the ramp