Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Forester SG 2.5 - cutting the roll?

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2018, 05:37 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Forester SG 2.5 - cutting the roll?

Am I right in thinking that the heavy duty Whiteline rear anti roll bar mounts will cut down the roll on my 2.5xt?
I dont want to start upgrading shocks and springs. Also do I need 20mm or 22mm mounts?
Old 15 October 2018, 07:35 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat4x4-again
Am I right in thinking that the heavy duty Whiteline rear anti roll bar mounts will cut down the roll on my 2.5xt?
I dont want to start upgrading shocks and springs. Also do I need 20mm or 22mm mounts?
Changing the mounts wouldn't make a difference, you would need to change the bar as well.,
OEM rear stabiliser (anti-roll) bar is listed as 17.3mm dia.
If you upgrade the bar then the whiteline heavy duty mounts are almost a necessity as the original OEM mounts used to fail before being strengthened somewhat.

SG Forester rear ARB info
https://www.whiteline.com.au/product...R35XZ&sq=22724
The strengthening kit for the droplink to lateral link mounting point included with the bar is also essential.

SG Forester Heavy duty mounts info
https://www.whiteline.com.au/product...18-22&sq=22763
Old 15 October 2018, 08:20 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the links and clarifying.
Old 15 October 2018, 08:25 PM
mrmarc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add some subframe locking bolts in the mix too!
Superb upgrade for 30 quid..

FYI I uprated the rear bar for the 22mm prodrive one from a RB320 and upgraded the mounts with the whitelines and added the subframe lockers alongside some heavy duty droplinks allround and it made a huge difference to the roll and feel of the car.
Oh and theres a strut brace on the front..not sure that made much of a difference but its on there! Apparently a rear strut brace is the way to go with Fozzys!
But ive got used to it now, so next mod is some pedders HD springs which should firm things up touch ..
I want to keep ride height and comfort so coilovers are not an option for me.
Old 15 October 2018, 09:53 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

As above bolt on a used sti arb , you do need the mounts too , unless you can weld or get some one to plate and reinforce your current mounts , the best route to be honest is swap to coilovers as it makes a massive difference rather than a slight difference on an arb , cheapest coilovers route is used set or a set of tein basics , used i was lucky and got a virtually new set for one of my fsti for 300£ , the tein route is around 505£ not rebound adjustable but they got that bit right the height is adjustable , the other slight issue you have is your tyre profile width and height , a set of 18 or 17 help both width and height by getting a different tyre
Old 15 October 2018, 11:17 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

subframe locking bolts at scoobyworld say ...

It is designed for motorsport use only & should not be used for extended periods as it may lead to premature chassis wear.?

slightly worrying
Old 16 October 2018, 03:25 AM
mrmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
subframe locking bolts at scoobyworld say ...

It is designed for motorsport use only & should not be used for extended periods as it may lead to premature chassis wear.?

slightly worrying
Yes I did see that. Its Whiteline saying that. I researched for some time around this and found nobody suffering from any issue..
I seem to recall some big threads on forester.org and nobody reporting any thing negative. The only issue have seen is some folk have had the captive bolt come un-attached on the subframe. This seems to be mainly due to issues tightening the bolts on some cars..
Best way to avoid any problem is to make sure the threads are cleaned and greased prior to installation of the lockers..
Loads of info here
https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/so-whats-verdict-subframe-locking-bolts-65080/?amp=1
Ive had mine on a year or so with no problems
Old 16 October 2018, 03:31 AM
mrmarc
Scooby Regular

Bolts also available from ICP and other suppliers..
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=352264041724&cat egory=174094&pm=1&ds=0&t=1527092765000&ver=0&csphe ader=1

Only Whiteline seem to cover themselves with the motorsport thing
Old 16 October 2018, 09:45 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Hi , where exactly do the bolts screw into is it a case of remove standard bolts to replace with the modded ? bolt , and what did you find as the effect of doing it , i’m interested on what difference it made , i already have coilovers which work well but was wondering if it adds more on top of coilovers cheers in advance of reply
Old 16 October 2018, 11:54 AM
mrmarc
Scooby Regular

Hi. Its an easy install..
On the Fozzy and I believe impreza, the rear subframe is held on with 4 large bolts. These bolts all have rubber bushes on so the subframe can move.
Also located on the rear subframe are two empty threaded bolt holes. I believe these are here for geometry set up etc. The subframe lockers go in here! installing the locking bolts effectively stops the sideways movement of the subframe but not the up and down movement. Which tightens things up.

Id give them a go, for £30 and half an hour you would have them installed. If you didnt like them it would take 10 mins to remove.
Im not sure how much difference they would make on the impreza but on my forester on standard tyres and shocks it was a noticable improvement..and well worth the small cost.
Old 16 October 2018, 12:24 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Hi , cheers for the reply , i may give it a go , i have a pair of Fsti , is it fairly obvious where they bolt in ?
Old 16 October 2018, 12:38 PM
mrmarc
Scooby Regular

Very. 2 empty bolt holes in subframe. they just go in there! make sure you clean and grease up first.
Heres a vid that gives you an better idea
Watch "Project Import: Whiteline KSB750 Rear Subframe Lock Bolts" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/r3Gh6eG7HBA
Old 16 October 2018, 12:44 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I fitted the Whiteline locking bolts to my FSTI and they were great. No downside at all by fitting these. Nice cheap upgrade.

Also fitted the whiteline 22mm adjustable arb and whiteline heavy duty mounts. Ended up with the whiteline bar set on middle setting, so pointless having adjustable version really.
Old 16 October 2018, 12:55 PM
mrmarc
Scooby Regular

Very. 2 empty bolt holes in subframe. they just go in there! make sure you clean and grease up first.
Heres a vid that gives you an better idea
Watch "Project Import: Whiteline KSB750 Rear Subframe Lock Bolts" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/r3Gh6eG7HBA
Old 16 October 2018, 12:55 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

cheers for the info , yes i will give it a go , i also run my rear arb on mid setting but with coilovers doing there job it’s hard to tell if arb actually does any thing , it’s not an obvious difference between cars one with and one without the arb done