Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Alcatek V5-V6 with AVCS board, what's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2018, 01:40 AM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Alcatek V5-V6 with AVCS board, what's it worth?

I have just finished installing my Link G4+ and started it up so I really have no use of my old Alcatek ecu. I just have no idea at all of what it could be worth, also it's pointless trying to sell here in Sweden as most mappers probably wan't nothing to do with it.

I bought it in 2010 I think as a Simtek so it was updated in 2016 to the Alcatek and also the AVCS extension board was added so that I could run the AVCS heads in my Type R. ALS and launch control should be activated as I paid for it with the update. I also have the customer programmer kit. I did start my build up with this ECU so it seems to work fine but I didn't bother try to get it mapped here.

So any ideas of what I could ask for this?

Last edited by Turbovin; 09 October 2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09 October 2018, 03:37 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

pretty sure theyre an expensive paperweight now due to no tech support when they went **** up. Unless the original mapper is known theyre locked out.
Old 09 October 2018, 03:49 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Yes I suppose that might be the case. However it's not password protected in any way and it was upgraded through Enginetuner so some kind of support should be available?
Old 09 October 2018, 04:18 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbovin
Yes I suppose that might be the case. However it's not password protected in any way and it was upgraded through Enginetuner so some kind of support should be available?
If you sell it to someone who uses Martyn for their mapping then its not really a problem,but if you sell it to someone who wants another mapper to map it,it will still be locked to enginetuner I.e Martyn.....so as above really it works but no more advancements will be made to it now like a Super Nintendo functional/works but that’s about it...SJ.

Old 09 October 2018, 04:51 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure. I could access the maps with my own software and did some changes too. It was never mapped by Enginetuner,( a long drive from Sweden), they just helped me with the upgrade as we no longer had a Simtek/Alcatek dealer anymore. So the whole point was to get it mapped by someone else here. It was just supplied with a base map to get it started.
Old 09 October 2018, 05:12 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Actually I think that they didn't even try my ecu in a car and they didn't have a way of powering the ecu otherwise so I had to load the Enginetuner map myself. So it came directly from Alcatek that way so I can't see how it could be locked but I'm not sure about how these things work.

I understand it won't be worth a lot but better that someone gets some use for it for a fair price.
Old 09 October 2018, 06:12 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with you mate,but In the UK its practically a dead format, you might have luck selling In other countries though....The owner of Alcatek himself is solely to blame for it's demise.My wife has one on her car at present but will be changed over to a link ecu like yourself as regular updates and aftercare is a must.SJ.
Old 09 October 2018, 06:41 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

If it's that bad in the UK I doubt it's even worth the shipping to sell it outside Sweden then. Didn't think it was this bad but a good product is no excuse for poor customer service.
Old 10 October 2018, 06:22 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

you can still get them updated and swapped for mappers ,, you just can't get hold of Andy (and most people want to speak to him for some reason lol) ,,, iv had three done in recent months without much problem , just sent them in with what I wanted written inside the box and they were returned within a few weeks
Old 10 October 2018, 08:43 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Unlocked and with cable&software,still a great ecu by all accounts,got to be worth at least £400 all day long!
Old 10 October 2018, 01:47 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Thanks, now I know roughly what it could be worth. I'll probably price it a bit cheaper than that as the shipping from Sweden to the UK costs more than the other way around. I'll put it up for sale soon, otherwise feel free to pm me if there's any interest.

It does make a very neat install with the AVCS heads in a V5-V6 combined with the JT innovations AVCS loom (I'm not including the loom). A little bit of rewiring was needed to get it to work with the Link G4+

Last edited by Turbovin; 10 October 2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10 October 2018, 06:26 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
you can still get them updated and swapped for mappers ,, you just can't get hold of Andy (and most people want to speak to him for some reason lol) ,,, iv had three done in recent months without much problem , just sent them in with what I wanted written inside the box and they were returned within a few weeks
You keep on saying that domino....but I asked you for the address contact to where to send it to for my mate and i'm still waiting for your reply...so if you can send me the address of where to send the alcatek ecu for change of mapper that would be appreciated as my mate has had no joy either way,thats why my wife is upgrading to a link ecu when she upgrades to a bigger turbo at SC....They were a good ecu once when they had the Dev support,but regardless what anyone says Alcatek is finished in the UK...anyone that is building a project car now will not be buying an alcatek ecu to run the engine thats for sure.SJ.
Old 10 October 2018, 11:52 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stonejedi
You keep on saying that domino....but I asked you for the address contact to where to send it to for my mate and i'm still waiting for your reply...so if you can send me the address of where to send the alcatek ecu for change of mapper that would be appreciated as my mate has had no joy either way,thats why my wife is upgrading to a link ecu when she upgrades to a bigger turbo at SC....They were a good ecu once when they had the Dev support,but regardless what anyone says Alcatek is finished in the UK...anyone that is building a project car now will not be buying an alcatek ecu to run the engine thats for sure.SJ.
SJ, when I had mine remapped the mapper, Russ Paton, got a base map for my ecu (wasn’t easy right enough) but he did get it. My ecu was previously mapped by JGM. Your mates mapper of choice should be able to get a base map
Old 11 October 2018, 11:11 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that John,he told me that he contacted the mapper who mapped it before “Duncan” That he would prefere a tuner closer to him to map it as he leaves in York but was told by Duncan that the only mapper that can map it is himself which I thought was ridiculous,as you by the ecu not the mapper,but I will tell him what you have told me,Thanks again.SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 11 October 2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11 October 2018, 11:33 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

sorry mate either forgot or didn't get the message ,, will pm it to you now
Old 11 October 2018, 01:18 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

sorry mate either forgot or didn't get the message ,, will pm it to you now
Thanks domino very much appreciated.SJ.
Old 11 October 2018, 03:54 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Thanks domino very much appreciated.SJ.

no probs mate , sorry again it wasn't sooner ,,,, like you said its not worth people buying them unless they know what they are doing with them and have lots of spare time to chase if it goes missing , iv got three of them so it was worth me doing the research to get the info I needed ,,, tell your mate to insure it for the cost of a syvecs and then if it doesn't get retuned he can claim for another ecu lol
Old 11 October 2018, 04:12 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

no probs mate , sorry again it wasn't sooner ,,,, like you said its not worth people buying them unless they know what they are doing with them and have lots of spare time to chase if it goes missing , iv got three of them so it was worth me doing the research to get the info I needed ,,, tell your mate to insure it for the cost of a syvecs and then if it doesn't get retuned he can claim for another ecu lol
Good Idea dom,ill pass that on.SJ.