Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

My late fiancée's broken Sport Special.

Old 23 September 2018, 08:10 PM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My late fiancée's broken Sport Special.

Hi folks,

I'm hoping for some advice re: the title.

Firstly some background info - my Emma was a renal transplant patient for the last 30 odd years of her life and in November 2015 she fell seriously ill and died in the following January from sepsis at the age of 42.

So to the point - for the last 5 years the car has been sorned and is parked off road in a communal "parking bay" big enough for about 6 cars if everyone parks properly. The land doesn't belong to anyone nor the council and a friendly neighbour has parked his sorned car behind the sport special. The car belongs to Emma's "estate" and her father is the sole executor of the estate - even though I did all the associated admin when Emma passed away. He cut off all contact with me after her funeral (understandable, but his choice) so I left it as it was.

I've been slowly removing the modified parts from the car (lots of them) I've got everything off apart from the unequal manifold, full decat section, brakes, wheels and suspension (all upgraded parts).

So what I want to know is can I arrange for the car to be scrapped even though I'm not the registered keeper (its Emma's name on the V5) ?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.

Last edited by dark_angel; 23 September 2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 23 September 2018, 08:39 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What are you asking?
Old 23 September 2018, 08:45 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry for you loss man all the best with the car
Old 23 September 2018, 09:25 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dark_angel
Hi folks,

I'm hoping for some advice re: the title.

Firstly some background info - my Emma was a renal transplant patient for the last 30 odd years of her life and in November 2015 she fell seriously ill and died in the following January from sepsis at the age of 42.

So to the point - for the last 5 years the car has been sorned and is parked off road in a communal "parking bay" big enough for about 6 cars if everyone parks properly. The land doesn't belong to anyone nor the council and a friendly neighbour has parked his sorned car behind the sport special. The car belongs to Emma's "estate" and her father is the sole executor of the estate - even though I did all the associated admin when Emma passed away. He cut off all contact with me after her funeral (understandable, but his choice) so I left it as it was.

I've been slowly removing the modified parts from the car (lots of them) I've got everything off apart from the unequal manifold, full decat section, brakes, wheels and suspension (all upgraded parts).

So what I want to know is can I arrange for the car to be scrapped even though I'm not the registered keeper (its Emma's name on the V5) ?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.
Legally no. You can report the car as abandoned then the registered keeper will be approached by DVLA. What happens after that depends on what the Registered keeper executor does.
Old 23 September 2018, 11:28 PM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Legally no. You can report the car as abandoned then the registered keeper will be approached by DVLA. What happens after that depends on what the Registered keeper executor does.
Thank you - it's as I thought but I've had to ask as some of the less friendly neighbours are bitching about it being there.

Thanks again.

Andrew.
Old 23 September 2018, 11:30 PM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Sorry for you loss man all the best with the car
thank you.

Andrew
Old 24 September 2018, 12:12 AM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

You can get it transferred to your ownership with or without the logbook, you need to write a letter to the DVLA explaining the death and then once registered to yourself you can get it scrapped.
Old 24 September 2018, 12:12 AM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

https://www.gov.uk/tell-dvla-about-b...ng-the-vehicle
Old 24 September 2018, 10:11 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Sorry for your loss. That's really rough.

One thing I don't understand, if the car belongs to Emma's estate, aren't you effectively nicking the bits you're taking off it?
(I appreciate her father is not contactable, which obviously makes things difficult in that respect.)
Old 24 September 2018, 10:21 AM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markb_s1
Sorry for your loss. That's really rough.

One thing I don't understand, if the car belongs to Emma's estate, aren't you effectively nicking the bits you're taking off it?
(I appreciate her father is not contactable, which obviously makes things difficult in that respect.)
Thanks

I have only took off the upgraded parts which I paid for - I have the documents to prove I paid for them. There is still a number of parts that I paid for on the car - all quite major upgrades.

Thanks.

Andrew.
Old 24 September 2018, 10:22 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Understood.
Please don't think i was having a go/accusing.. i wasn't. was just curious.
Old 24 September 2018, 10:22 AM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ayde
You can get it transferred to your ownership with or without the logbook, you need to write a letter to the DVLA explaining the death and then once registered to yourself you can get it scrapped.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew.
Old 24 September 2018, 10:43 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Ayde
An Executor is in place. Which means unless you contest the Estate through the courts then technically you are taking ownership of someone elses legal property.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 24 September 2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 25 September 2018, 07:07 AM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markb_s1
Understood.
Please don't think i was having a go/accusing.. i wasn't. was just curious.
No I didn't think that - just putting it out there - I spent a lot of time and money on the car - mainly improving it and making it safer for her to drive and it's just sat there rusting away before my eyes - every time I go outside its there and it's starting me make me feel almost depressed. It's just something else I've failled to do.

Andrew.

Last edited by dark_angel; 25 September 2018 at 07:10 AM. Reason: I'm crap.
Old 25 September 2018, 07:09 AM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
An Executor is in place. Which means unless you contest the Estate through the courts then technically you are taking ownership of someone elses legal property.
Thanks again, Ian.

Top advise as usual.

I would like to apologise for any bad feeling and crap comments I've made in the past.

Andrew.
Old 25 September 2018, 10:34 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Surely the V5 just proves who the registered keeper is, not who the owner is?

I'd contact the DVLA and get the registration changed into your name and get it scrapped. Clearly the father has no interest in it and it seems highly unlikely that he's going to suddenly demand the car back, after 5 years of ignoring it. It sounds like he doesn't want anything to remind him of his daughter's loss.

I have a mate who had an Alfa 156 sat outside his house for months. It was just after the New Year Tsunami and he figured maybe the owner had died. He contacted the DVLA and got the V5 transferred into his name. Then armed with the V5, went to Alfa to get a key cut. Got it cleaned up and working and then advertised it for sale. He then got a call from the “owner”, who turned out to be a trader who had his stock parked all around the local residential roads and had forgotten where he’d left the Alfa. A deal was struck to “sell” the V5 back (mate’s expenses plus a sweetener).

So it can be done. I’d contact the DVLA in the first instance. Alternatively, the land where the car is parked HAS to belong to someone. Find out who and then report the car as abandoned and pressure them to deal with it. Or claim the land as your own and start issuing the father parking fines…..
Old 25 September 2018, 10:41 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Start issuing the father with parking fines ? What kinda ******* are you in all fairness
Old 25 September 2018, 10:44 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Start issuing the father with parking fines ? What kinda ******* are you in all fairness
You think that was a serious suggestion? Wow! Just wow....
Old 25 September 2018, 10:59 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Why did you post it up then ?
Old 25 September 2018, 12:03 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by dark_angel

Thanks again, Ian.

Top advise as usual.

I would like to apologise for any bad feeling and crap comments I've made in the past.

Andrew.
Onwards and upwards.I am getting old and forget easily.

Old 26 September 2018, 09:31 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

I suppose like with any abandoned car, bits get nicked and nobody knows who, what, where, when, why or how? No face, no case as they say...
Very sorry to hear of your loss and subsequent dilemma mate.

Last edited by funkyrimpler; 26 September 2018 at 09:32 PM. Reason: reasons
Old 27 September 2018, 02:05 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

I’ve not read all the post but if you are trying to get ownership of a vehicle , contact the dvla saying it’s abandoned which in effect it is , they will contact the current keeper who ( no disrespect intended ) can’t and won’t respond , they will send you a new v5 out in your name , if no one contests it the car is yours , when you are the new owner the previous owner ( again no disrespect intended ) has a right of civil appeal with in one year , the opening line on a v5 is this is not proof of ownership , the above route is a lawful legal route to obtain a car , i would speak to land owners to make him aware as a matter of courtesy as that is the only twist to the situation but i expect land owner is happy for the car to go too ?
Old 28 September 2018, 07:23 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

that's really sad news

but it also shows you the need to be married in these situations as you have no legal say on any thing relating to Emma
Old 28 September 2018, 11:36 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

hes managing the estate, he needs to sort it
Old 29 September 2018, 08:53 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

yes he does, but not being next of kin means he has no say on what happens, it's out Andrew's hand.