ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

To buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2018, 04:55 PM
JimiGT
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy

Hi guys. I'm new here and I am just contemplating my first foray in into Subaru ownership.

As luck would have it I have come across a local chap who is selling a 1998 Turbo 2000 with PPP, Prodrive Driver Enhancement Package and Exterior Enhancement package (although weirdly the paperwork shows he opted not to have the spoiler fitted in the end when he took delivery of the car) .He has owned it since new and it has 70,000 miles. Loads and loads of history, bulging paper file etc.

Having driven it, it drives really nicely and seems mechanically sound.

I reckon, with a bit of haggling, I could get it for around £2.5k.

So far, so fantastic.

The Bodywork

What can I say. The bodywork is not good. Above the windscreen is heavily corroded. The N/S/R wheel arch has significant bubbling. The spoiler and air intake look to need respraying and the there are various scuffs and scrapers on the side skirts and front lip. The paint work generally looks dull and faded.

I've attached some pictures below. The picture of the inside of the arch is of the NSR which has obvious bubbling on the outside.

My big concern is the rear arches and the roof corrosion. For those who have undertaken similar repairs in the past, how terminal does this look? Any guidance on rough cost for repairs?

Thanks in advance. I'm keen to give this a new lease of life but want to have some idea what I'm getting myself into first!