Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

mot decat issues

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2018, 01:49 AM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

2002 Prodrive Bug, 2003 JDM Blob. Both fully decatted. 3” Turbo back. Both fly through their MOT. Goes to a local garage for a “pre MOT”, they take it to MOT centre directly opposite their premises. £53 later MOT Cert in hand. To OP it may be worth finding another S’netter in your area and PM them. See if they can point you in the direction of someone more (MOT) user friendly. Prob best not to disclose it publically because it could ruin a good thing for all!
Old 07 September 2018, 08:05 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daz1968
Think you may have failed due to the rule that if a cat was present when the vehicle was new it needs to be in place, technically a ppp pack could fail if this rule is taken to the extreme, however a ppp centre decat still has the heat shields in place so looks like a standard section, hence most mot stations wouldn’t know anyway,
you could always fit cat shields to a decat pipe as per ppp then would probably be ok. And technically a sport cat could fail as it probably hasn’t got the correct eu type approval code on it. Most are sold as off road only.
it failed on emissions , the tester said they had tightened the rules for emissions again in may or June this year , he may be pulling my plonker
Old 07 September 2018, 11:18 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

In May 2018 the rules were tightened up and are being enforced more rigorously.
They are being more stringent with the test stations too.
Old 07 September 2018, 11:43 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
In May 2018 the rules were tightened up and are being enforced more rigorously.
They are being more stringent with the test stations too.
The MOT stations now have the power to stop your vehicle being driven away if it fails on one of the points raised such as engine smoke or emissions.
Old 07 September 2018, 12:00 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
The MOT stations now have the power to stop your vehicle being driven away if it fails on one of the points raised such as engine smoke or emissions.
Yea least your right about that

Guess you didn't check the Pre 2002 engine swap loophole ? as it turns out your wrong and it's possible

It's not a grey area it's there in black & white, do a legit engine swap on a car pre Sep 2002 and its tested to whichever is oldest, chassis or engine

Only going on because you were so sure i was wrong, yet turns out i was correct
Old 07 September 2018, 12:13 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy

Guess you didn't check the Pre 2002 engine swap loophole ? as it turns out your wrong and it's possible

It's not a grey area it's there in black & white, do a legit engine swap on a car pre Sep 2002 and its tested to whichever is oldest, chassis or engine

LOL. If you say so, but I know for a fact I'm right and I'm bored with this pointless debate now anyhow. I have friends who own their own MOT stations and friends who are testers. Putting an older engine into a car doesn't mean you make the car itself older.

I actively encourage you to put an older engine into your car and take it to an MOT station. The MOT station will only be able to test the vehicle based on the information on the VOSA database, which if you haven't informed the DVLA and VOSA will show the old engine... still requiring an emissions test.

If you do tell the DVLA then they will want a full mechanical report submitted and then VOSA will want to inspect your vehicle before they even contemplate changing their records and database on engine type. It will probably then be classed as a special somehow and MAY be bound to different regulations. Who knows!
Old 07 September 2018, 12:37 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm surprised you have got away with decats for so long. Here you must have them on all cars from 1989 to pass vehicle inspection and it's probably been that way since the 90's.
Old 07 September 2018, 12:47 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy

You see so many adverts on car forums on this very subject. The advert normally goes along the lines of the chassis may have 170k but the engine only as 50k.
Putting a fresh apple in a bowl of rotting fruit changes sweet FA.
Old 07 September 2018, 01:47 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
You see so many adverts on car forums on this very subject. The advert normally goes along the lines of the chassis may have 170k but the engine only as 50k.
Putting a fresh apple in a bowl of rotting fruit changes sweet FA.

Dunno which part of this confuses folk
Old 07 September 2018, 02:02 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

LOL. If you say so, but I know for a fact I'm right and I'm bored with this pointless debate now anyhow. I have friends who own their own MOT stations and friends who are testers. Putting an older engine into a car doesn't mean you make the car itself older.

I actively encourage you to put an older engine into your car and take it to an MOT station. The MOT station will only be able to test the vehicle based on the information on the VOSA database, which if you haven't informed the DVLA and VOSA will show the old engine... still requiring an emissions test.

If you do tell the DVLA then they will want a full mechanical report submitted and then VOSA will want to inspect your vehicle before they even contemplate changing their records and database on engine type. It will probably then be classed as a special somehow and MAY be bound to different regulations. Who knows!

From the M.O.T Inspection Manual 2012,

Also see the part where i tell you that you must register it as running the older engine,

"I was under the impression that if it is a legit engine swap DVLA notified then engine is tested to rules of its year and not the chassis its fitted to"

My point was valid and you just disregarded it as if nonsense,

Sure you will need to do it legit but i says that.......
Old 07 September 2018, 03:30 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

I think the important thing to come out of this discussion is that we are all correct!
Old 07 September 2018, 03:46 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mines a 1995 import and doesnt need a cat for the test, not sure if they moved the age from 1992 to 1995 ?
Old 07 September 2018, 04:10 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the important thing to come out of this discussion is that we are all correct!
And we all hate heat seized nuts.
Old 07 September 2018, 04:13 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart
And we all hate heat seized nuts.
Here here! Well said that man!
Old 08 September 2018, 04:33 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

anyway mine failed, so someone is right , after all the discussion I'm not sure who. lol. but mines in the garage awaiting a new mid section to get an MOT
Old 08 September 2018, 05:40 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
anyway mine failed, so someone is right , after all the discussion I'm not sure who. lol. but mines in the garage awaiting a new mid section to get an MOT
Oops. So I'm guessing you didn't inform the dvla about your engine change? Is it worth taking it to another more friendly mot garage?
Old 09 September 2018, 06:54 AM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
Scoobydooooo sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but you really need let people know where you are from if you want to avoid all this. Surely you do not want to keep going through this at MOT time? Or are you now going to have new centre section and remap and leave it alone? Because it will really need remapping if you are going from a decatted system to putting a cat back in for emissions reasons? All that just for an MOT when a bit of local knowledge goes a long way.

if you were near me I would tell you where to go to avoid all this hassle. If your doing the centre section purely for MOT only to change back again that has to be close to £300 (very rough figure) each MOT time! No disrespect intended but that seems an avoidable expense & pain in the rear.
Old 09 September 2018, 08:29 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Also it's worth baring in mind that the further the cat gets away from the turbo the cooler it runs and the less efficient it works. The cat needs to get to 400degC for it to work effectively and pass mot emissions. This is why sports cats are normally in the downpipe and not further down the system.

I have a friend with a forester STI which was Ian Litchfields own development car years ago. He's got a decat downpipe and a cat after that and it just won't pass mot like that, just doesn't get hot enough.

worth bearing in mind.
Old 09 September 2018, 09:16 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

My local mot tester told me he had no way of telling whether exhausts were oem or not, if he could even see them, due to undertrays. All he is interested in is " do they pass emissions? ".
"Friendly" testers have everything to lose and nothing to gain by passing decats , and in my experience, all testers seem to take great pride and joy in finding fails, so unless someone can pm me the name of a legendary friendly tester between Cornwall and Kent, I'm going to file the subject under" urban mot legends" Unless they are your best mate.....
Old 09 September 2018, 09:45 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by R666ORY+1

Scoobydooooo sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but you really need let people know where you are from if you want to avoid all this. Surely you do not want to keep going through this at MOT time? Or are you now going to have new centre section and remap and leave it alone? Because it will really need remapping if you are going from a decatted system to putting a cat back in for emissions reasons? All that just for an MOT when a bit of local knowledge goes a long way.

if you were near me I would tell you where to go to avoid all this hassle. If your doing the centre section purely for MOT only to change back again that has to be close to £300 (very rough figure) each MOT time! No disrespect intended but that seems an avoidable expense & pain in the rear.
well the thing is I don't know if it was remapped after the decat , so I don't know if it still has the pro drive ecu or wether it has been remapped ! as far as im concerned the cat is staying on , im not bothered about a decat system tbh .so the question is , how do I tell if it was remapped for the decat or wether it was left with the pro drive map ???
Old 29 November 2018, 04:47 PM
Nick ryles
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what are the emissions limits for 2004 Blob JDM import ? Does it get a more lenient test?
my friend has a 3 inch full system (no cats) but decided to do it right and get a used down pipe, cut the 'Subaru' branded cat out and weld over the 3inch down pipe. Each year this saves on a couple hours labour and headache of having to swap it out.
Anyway he showed me the emissions results after most recent PASS (Oct 2018) and they looked high to me but I couldn't easily find anywhere to show what it actually needed to pass.
Old 29 November 2018, 06:08 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Step 1. Open ashtray
step. 2 insert 50 pound/euro note
step 3 pot coffee whilst it’s being tested
step 4 wink and nod as you drive out the door

Never fails pardon the pun
Old 29 November 2018, 06:29 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Step 1. Open ashtray
step. 2 insert 50 pound/euro note
step 3 pot coffee whilst it’s being tested
step 4 wink and nod as you drive out the door

Never fails pardon the pun
i can’t really see a tester jeopardising his mot license for £50

i pay £30 every year
Old 29 November 2018, 07:16 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Ya tight git zany
Old 20 December 2018, 09:49 PM
DaveMK39
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine kept failing on emissions. my mechanic kept saying the cats were empty. i kept saying yeah right.
anyway last year i bought a new centre cat see if it would pass. it failed.
this year i bought a new front cat. it passed.
Old 22 December 2018, 09:55 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

most mot places are not even going to know if the centre section has a cat or not , it varies from car to car if they do i know fsti does not it only seems to have one cat , so if a tester asks if a centre section cat has been taken out then simple answer it’s not a cat , i thought the emissions being tightened up was more for diesels , my monaro will be fun as that only just scrapes through at the moment any way
Old 22 December 2018, 02:46 PM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My wr1 has scraped past the emissions for the last two years with the original prodrive sports cat. It’s due again now, so hopefully the pass numbers are still the same and not lower than last year. Don’t forget to make sure the cars nice and hot after a good run when you take it in.
Old 22 December 2018, 04:52 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Willowsdad
My wr1 has scraped past the emissions for the last two years with the original prodrive sports cat. It’s due again now, so hopefully the pass numbers are still the same and not lower than last year. Don’t forget to make sure the cars nice and hot after a good run when you take it in.
Its diesels they have really clamped down on,
My sports cat has passed since 09, just needs a little warming up, so launch control needs turning off, no bribes required.