Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MOT Exemption change on 20th May 2018

Old 23 May 2018, 05:42 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
I know a few people who have classic cars and instead of getting them through an mot they have waited. And one guy is a mechanic.

I however had to spend over £400 on work done to one of my cars. That didn't really need doing as wasn't bad for a classic car.

There will be so many dodgy sheds about i can tell you that.
I have a customer with many classic Ferrari’s and Porsche’s among others and he’s loving it.

Me personally, I think every road going car should have an MOT. Maybe a more basic check for older cars at least to make sure the brake lines aren’t about to let go.

If I were an insurance company I’d insist on an MOT on the vehicle to be covered.

On the subject, I wonder if that’s the case with some insurers? I’d definitely be checking if I owned a classic and was looking to get out of an MOT check. Be a bummer if you had an accident & ins company say “oh, no MOT? It clearly states vehicle must have current MOT in the small print sir”
Old 24 May 2018, 08:01 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Last time I checked insurance small print it stated that you must ensure the car is in roadworthy condition.

It didn't stipulate how you prove this and what would be considered due diligence.