2008 > Hatch Front Mount Intercooler Questions

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2018, 09:01 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2008 > Hatch Front Mount Intercooler Questions

Good morning all.

I have a few questions if you could help please.

1. Firstly on the 2008 STI Hatch, is fitment of the FMIC in terms of installation that much different to the Saloon?
  2. Are there any readily available fitting guides available anywhere? (The last time I fit one myself was a Japspeed on a Bugeye and the instruction looked like they have been photocopied several times in B&W making it very difficult to follow - ended up binning the instruction and doing it on blind. Other than the bumper bar and plastic bumper cutting it was relatively straight forward)
  3. What is the best kit available without breaking the bank?
  4. Is anyone selling anything of interest?
Thanks in advance
Robert
Old 15 May 2018, 11:37 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Best guide I could find

http://res.cloudinary.com/cosworthpr...ntercooler.pdf

Last edited by banny sti; 15 May 2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 15 May 2018, 07:15 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Cheers Banny,

Looks good to me. My main concern is removing the bumper without damaging anything. The rest should be test and fit I hope.

Still need to know what kit is best for the £, I know Japspeed do them, but are they any good?
Old 16 May 2018, 06:50 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

my kit came from teg sport but not sure on the price as I got it from a friend on the cheap , great fit as hardly had to cut anything to get it on , just had to cut a bit of the front bumper but that was more choise to get the air in rather than it fitting issues ,,, found it much easier to fit due to the extra spec you get in the engine bay with the hatch
Old 16 May 2018, 08:58 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Cheers Banny,

Looks good to me. My main concern is removing the bumper without damaging anything. The rest should be test and fit I hope.

Still need to know what kit is best for the £, I know Japspeed do them, but are they any good?
the bumper skin comes off with ease, its just plastic push clips along top, underside and along wheel arch edges.

the issue will be any trimming back of bumper and supports etc

for example ive an ETS 3.5" core fitted to mine which although fits well and looks simple in the video below, in fact the front bumper bar is removed, the back of the bumper is trimmed down & the front bumper undertray (not main engine undertray) is removed etc!

https://www.extremeturbosystems.com/...ooler-Kit.html

plus couple of pics fitted to mine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IC1.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	72000   Click image for larger version

Name:	ic2.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	72001  

Last edited by Gambit; 16 May 2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 16 May 2018, 09:05 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Cheers Domino.

I have since had some quotes on installation from my local Subaru Mechanic Merlin, lets just say I am happy with that I have been quoted for all the work - Intercooler, oil cooler, brakes, coilovers, meth injection etc...

So all I need to do now is find decent kit.

Domino you are running good power, which is where I aim to be, did you have an oil cooler fitted, and where did you locate it - under the scoop? Did you also bother with any alternative fuels/switchable maps? I assume you are still on the standard ecu?

Robert

Robert.
Old 16 May 2018, 09:10 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
the bumper skin comes off with ease, its just plastic push clips along top, underside and along wheel arch edges.

the issue will be any trimming back of bumper and supports etc

for example ive an ETS 3.5" core fitted to mine which although fits well and looks simple in the video below, in fact the front bumper bar is removed, the back of the bumper is trimmed down & the front bumper undertray (not main engine undertray) is removed etc!

https://www.extremeturbosystems.com/...ooler-Kit.html

plus couple of pics fitted to mine

Cheers, I'll take a look tonight.

On the saloon I practically grinded away the whole bumper bar, primed and refit. The reality is it is probably worthless piece of steel in the end so maybe didn't need to bother refitting although I do think it offered some support. Cant recall removing any undertray, but the hatch is very different.

I have decided i'll get my mechanic to do the work now as I simply don't have the time, although I do enjoy little projects. Best pay to get it done right.

Robert.
Old 16 May 2018, 12:09 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Cheers Domino.

I have since had some quotes on installation from my local Subaru Mechanic Merlin, lets just say I am happy with that I have been quoted for all the work - Intercooler, oil cooler, brakes, coilovers, meth injection etc...

So all I need to do now is find decent kit.

Domino you are running good power, which is where I aim to be, did you have an oil cooler fitted, and where did you locate it - under the scoop? Did you also bother with any alternative fuels/switchable maps? I assume you are still on the standard ecu?

Robert

Robert.

no oil cooler at the mo but its on the cards as iv noticed a bit of extra heat in the last few weeks but iv been giving the car a good seeing to so its expected really ,, temps are just a tad higher than I normally like ,,, I suspect ill be putting it behind the grill somewhere as iv never liked them by the scoop and my aircon rad is gone now so may aswell make use of that space

yes still on the standard ecu ,, no other fuels of maps just V-power and the SI drive for changing things ,,, I was thinking about adding flex fuel but to be honest I'm happy with the power and its just more to go wrong then lol