ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Paint work just peeled off during a wash

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2018, 07:02 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default Paint work just peeled off during a wash

So I'm really fekking angry at the minute, I've just washed my car and there was a stubborn mark on the paint (tar I guess) so I moved closer with my pressure washer approximately 6-8 inches away and it blew the paint off.

The paintwork is 3 month old as I had a full front end re-spray in January,Surely a karcher washer shouldn't peel away paintwork. Guess I am now looking at another bumper re-spray

Old 22 April 2018, 07:17 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Who painted it. Don’t mention a pressure washer just your garden hose. Say you noticed it bubble and then while hiding down it just fell off.

they should repair that for free
Old 22 April 2018, 07:31 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Who painted it. Don’t mention a pressure washer just your garden hose. Say you noticed it bubble and then while hiding down it just fell off.

they should repair that for free
local bodyshop who ive used numerous times along with a lot of people I know.

will pop in to see him this week to see what he says, gutted as I was planning on having the car detailed in a few weeks along with a full paint correction
Old 22 April 2018, 07:34 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run my own bodyshop and I wouldn’t honour a free respray on it ! Jet wash that close only one outcome especially after market paintwork
Most shops would know its a power washer that’s done that as otherwise you would be able to scrape surrounding paint off due to lack of adhesion

Last edited by carl heath; 22 April 2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 22 April 2018, 07:36 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Shrek mate is this the shampoo that you use?.SJ.
Old 22 April 2018, 07:39 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Very shoddy spray job by the looks of it, i had a smart repair done on my Scooby 6 years ago now and you could not tell where it is it still looks factory fresh.SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 22 April 2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 22 April 2018, 07:39 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi

Shrek mate is this the shampoo that you use?.SJ.
lol either that or instead of paint he used a Crayola crayon
Old 22 April 2018, 07:45 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
lol either that or instead of paint he used a Crayola crayon
Crayon...In all honesty mate the paint coat looks so thin he must of applied the cheapest top coat available,i have never seen a fresh spray job peel off so easy pressure washer or not,shoddy workmanship in my opinion, Take it back!.SJ.
Old 22 April 2018, 07:49 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

is there any primer on it ?
Old 22 April 2018, 07:50 PM
FranK RA
Scooby Regular

Was thinking the same....
Old 22 April 2018, 07:50 PM
nikon-man
Scooby Regular

that's why I never use a pressure washer on my car......
Old 22 April 2018, 08:08 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
is there any primer on it ?
^This. A special primer for plastic is needed before painting plastic parts.
Old 22 April 2018, 08:12 PM
Gsi Jay
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had to have my rear bumper resprayed a couple of times in the 11+ years i've owned mine and used pressure washers on it plenty of times during that period and i've never had that happen, i bet your gutted.
Old 22 April 2018, 08:36 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
^This. A special primer for plastic is needed before painting plastic parts.
Which is clear / transparent so you wouldnt see it ?? Unless a non sanding primer was used with plastic primer additive but you still wont know if was used or not as the additive is clear
Old 22 April 2018, 08:39 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gsi Jay
I've had to have my rear bumper resprayed a couple of times in the 11+ years i've owned mine and used pressure washers on it plenty of times during that period and i've never had that happen, i bet your gutted.
May just of been lucky ??
Theres no rules saying you cant jet wash aftermarket paint but you do need to be realistic too, if say you have a small stonechip and are blasting very close in that area then obviously gonna have troubles
Old 22 April 2018, 10:23 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Told you about using pressure washers on your other paint woe thread.
Tut tut ....
Old 23 April 2018, 01:06 AM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Crappy paint job. Don't know what kind of Kärcher you have but most of the cheaper consumer washers don't really cause that much problems, they're simply not strong enough. I use a washing station with huge industrial pressure washers and there you need to be careful and keep your distance but not even those have caused me any problems on repainted parts.

6-8 inches is a bit on the close side though but a good paint job would have taken it with a entry level pressure washer.

Last edited by Turbovin; 23 April 2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 23 April 2018, 07:36 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Surely the laquer or top coat should have peeled off first

I’ve had a 20p sized area of laquer come off front of mine doing the same thing few year ago and left it as is as I don’t want any fresh paint on the car

After looking at what’s happened to yours I’m Defo not getting it sorted glad I’ve not had it resprayed

Hope you get it sorted without too much hassle
Old 23 April 2018, 09:04 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Are you saying aftermarket spraying is no where near up to the same standard as factory?

Originally Posted by carl heath
I run my own bodyshop and I wouldn’t honour a free respray on it ! Jet wash that close only one outcome especially after market paintwork
Most shops would know its a power washer that’s done that as otherwise you would be able to scrape surrounding paint off due to lack of adhesion
Old 23 April 2018, 03:57 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Are you saying aftermarket spraying is no where near up to the same standard as factory?
Round my area 100% no!
ive had several items over the past years painted and i never get a factory finish, and ive not used cheap/back street places either!
Old 23 April 2018, 06:48 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

All painters are different imo, they all say they are the best etc, I've used loads in past, and nowadays I've found someone who is super good at his job and can blend paintwork into car factory paint and you will never know it's been resprayed. I will never look elsewhere now as before I was always looking for a good painter.
A couple of people in my area can vouch too he's that good, done a few local scooby too and scooby guys are fussy.
Old 23 April 2018, 09:59 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Most definate mate factory paint is 9/10 times a better quality product and as it is cured at much higher temperatues compared to body shop aftermarket paint its tougher, also manufacturers have better setups to control conditions such temp,humidity and cleanliness. Factory paint is also the best foundation if aftermarket paint has to be done ie repairs.bodyshop products all shrink its just part of curing process such as fillers primers basecoats and clears they all shrink to a certain degree when curing which can take up to 3 months and more depending on product environment and application .
Old 23 April 2018, 10:02 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
All painters are different imo, they all say they are the best etc, I've used loads in past, and nowadays I've found someone who is super good at his job and can blend paintwork into car factory paint and you will never know it's been resprayed. I will never look elsewhere now as before I was always looking for a good painter.
A couple of people in my area can vouch too he's that good, done a few local scooby too and scooby guys are fussy.
I have never met a painter who thinks hes the best in my 25 years in the trade ?? Must be some cocky bodyshops by you lol
Old 25 April 2018, 11:10 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Really, can't comment too much, just on experience I've had.

I had a guy fill my front wing on my old Corsa, best spray i'd ever seen. Looked better than the factory wing and could not tell it had been filled. Never had any problems with paint flaking off, he worked out of a unit, nothing amazing no oven or anything like that.

Had a full respray by another guy, was awful, paint flaking after 2 years. And other guy i used works for chips away company, he did a cracking job on colour coding parts of my Impreza. Very good colour match. Although he said he couldn't grantee the paint would hold to the plastic surface, but its not done too bad, over 5 years ago and tiny bit of paint has come off on one handle.

It was a good price too.

Originally Posted by carl heath
Most definate mate factory paint is 9/10 times a better quality product and as it is cured at much higher temperatues compared to body shop aftermarket paint its tougher, also manufacturers have better setups to control conditions such temp,humidity and cleanliness. Factory paint is also the best foundation if aftermarket paint has to be done ie repairs.bodyshop products all shrink its just part of curing process such as fillers primers basecoats and clears they all shrink to a certain degree when curing which can take up to 3 months and more depending on product environment and application .
Old 25 April 2018, 11:43 PM
TheAngryFerret
Scooby Regular

If i had used a jet wash 6-8 inches away and my paint fell off i wouldnt be happy. Theres no way i'd except it. S*#t i rattle canned my boot spoiler, with primer, base coat and lacquer in a booth and left over night to dry. Fitted the next day and its been jet washed closer than that already and its still intact.

Last edited by TheAngryFerret; 25 April 2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 26 April 2018, 09:21 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

To be honest i wouldn't get that close to my paint work of a car i cared about. But i'm surprised of how the paints come off.