Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Is there any ozzy members on her

Old 26 March 2018, 01:29 PM
Rick2017
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there any ozzy members on her

Looking into moving to oz and taking the Scooby with us.if the car was modified in any way would the car be rejected. I no some countries are strict on mods
Old 26 March 2018, 02:09 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know the answer but...
If you're going to get involved in importing into Oz wouldn't it be simpler to sell up here then when you arrive over there organise to import a nice JDM direct from Japan.
IIRC there's quite a market in importing decent Japanese metal over in Oz.

PS: give my regards to F1_Fan if you bump into him over there.
Old 26 March 2018, 05:19 PM
Rick2017
Scooby Regular

It is cheaper to import ours as it's over 20yrs old. I need some bits changing and I'm wondering do I up grade
Old 26 March 2018, 05:44 PM
WRCT25
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived there for a few years, didn't import my car over ( i bought a R33) but all imports need a compliance plate. What that entails im.not sure but doubt to hard for a clean car. There are some laws regarding ride height and stuff, eg the lowest point.of.the car must be no Lowe r then100mm . I got a yellow sticker on the skyline when I got pulled over for a oil leak and there was literally the smallest buildup of grime in the smallest gap that.he.found with a torch. I've picked dirtier boogers!!! The cops are total dicks if you drive a import, scared of jap power haha
Old 26 March 2018, 11:20 PM
big_rob_sydney
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 2009 I sent my car over. Took about 3 months. I used a London based company called Excess Baggage. No complaints about the service. The car needed a new battery at the other end.

Bear in mind the rules have changed a bit from what I can tell. Back then, there was still a domestic manufacturing industry and there was a ot of protectionism. It seems to be getting opened up these days, but you'll need to check a few things.

Mine went over under the "Personal Import" scheme. The rules were that you had to have the car for at least 12 months, blah blah blah. I spoke to the department of infrastructure, and had to get the yellow compliance plate thing from a company in Melbourne.

After doing a lot of reading, I also decided to get the car back as close to stock as possible. You may find there are also rules around the air con re-gassing, and quarantine payments to clean the car extensively. I was forced to pay it, and suspect that nothing was actually done for the money.

Lots of hidden costs...

An engineer in Sydney took care of everything. This was Alan Palmer from just outside Penrith.

The biggest ballache was that this car which I had owned for years, when I went o Sydney, the government charged me stamp duty before I was allowed to register it in NSW. Can you fkn believe it? On my own property, I had to give those thieving *******s stamp duty. Like, WTF did they do to deserve that?

I've been told in different states those rules may not apply, and since many things may have changed, I'd suggest you do your research. There's a guy on the net going by the name Iron Chef; Kristian Appelt I believe is the proprietor. If you look him up, he can guide you through the new rules I believe. He was helpful to me, and so I'm happy to pass that along, but be prepared to pay him for his time.

While I'm not sure of the latest regs, I'd suggest you be very selective about the car you want to send over. Aussies are a low-balling culture (I know, I'm one of them), so even a great car may prove difficult to on-sell if that's your goal.

Hope you found this useful.

Last edited by big_rob_sydney; 26 March 2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 27 March 2018, 08:12 AM
Rick2017
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by big_rob_sydney
In 2009 I sent my car over. Took about 3 months. I used a London based company called Excess Baggage. No complaints about the service. The car needed a new battery at the other end.

Bear in mind the rules have changed a bit from what I can tell. Back then, there was still a domestic manufacturing industry and there was a ot of protectionism. It seems to be getting opened up these days, but you'll need to check a few things.

Mine went over under the "Personal Import" scheme. The rules were that you had to have the car for at least 12 months, blah blah blah. I spoke to the department of infrastructure, and had to get the yellow compliance plate thing from a company in Melbourne.

After doing a lot of reading, I also decided to get the car back as close to stock as possible. You may find there are also rules around the air con re-gassing, and quarantine payments to clean the car extensively. I was forced to pay it, and suspect that nothing was actually done for the money.

Lots of hidden costs...

An engineer in Sydney took care of everything. This was Alan Palmer from just outside Penrith.

The biggest ballache was that this car which I had owned for years, when I went o Sydney, the government charged me stamp duty before I was allowed to register it in NSW. Can you fkn believe it? On my own property, I had to give those thieving *******s stamp duty. Like, WTF did they do to deserve that?

I've been told in different states those rules may not apply, and since many things may have changed, I'd suggest you do your research. There's a guy on the net going by the name Iron Chef; Kristian Appelt I believe is the proprietor. If you look him up, he can guide you through the new rules I believe. He was helpful to me, and so I'm happy to pass that along, but be prepared to pay him for his time.

While I'm not sure of the latest regs, I'd suggest you be very selective about the car you want to send over. Aussies are a low-balling culture (I know, I'm one of them), so even a great car may prove difficult to on-sell if that's your goal.

Hope you found this useful.
Hi mate we are told by the shipping company that there will be no tax because of the age of the car. If It was less than 20 years then yes there is a premium. Where still in the very early stages of it. And as strange as it sounds its Sydney we are going to. I prefer gold coast as i used to stay there with family for a month at a time But the deal was Sydney. As for the car i won't be selling it .Ive owned a few over the year's and old one's are getting a bit thin on the ground now. I don't no what it is but some thing keeps drawing me back to a Subaru

Last edited by Rick2017; 27 March 2018 at 08:14 AM.