ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Not this debate again!

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2018, 07:14 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Not this debate again!

So this isn’t news I know, however! I’m either fortunate enough or dumb enough to own a 2003 JDM Blob STI and a 2002 Prodrive Bug STI. The JDM has some great attributes over the Bug, it beats it in just about every department hands down, other than one. I’ve spent along time working out what it is that’s missing from driving the JDM V UK. It’s one simple thing, the noise! Not ground breaking I know but the Bug makes me smile & have the odd chuckle when going through tunnels or getting the odd pop and bang on the overrun. For track ithe JDM gets the win every time, but for the sheer pleasure of driving on nice roads the Bug gets it every time. Is there a solution to this? I’m guessing the middle ground between the two must be an S202!!!! Is there another solution? Any thoughts?
Old 09 March 2018, 07:49 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

May-be a different exhaust set -up on the JDM (de-cat)?, someone will be along i,m sure to give you some options.
Old 09 March 2018, 08:46 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

It’s one simple thing, the noise!
Biggest difference is the JDM Blob is twin scroll (equal length headers) and the Prodrive Bug is unequal length headers hence the difference noise.
Old 09 March 2018, 09:14 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have to say I do understand this and its the reason I've not gone equal length on my uk blob.

Saw a type r with equal length headers on at Cadwell, and to be honest, it sounded like a Honda on track, not a Subaru.

What about converting the jdm to single scroll? I know this is sacrilege to some people but may solve your dilemma (plus you could upgrade to an SC/MD etc for some extra oomph)
Old 09 March 2018, 09:22 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickybobby
I have to say I do understand this and its the reason I've not gone equal length on my uk blob.

Saw a type r with equal length headers on at Cadwell, and to be honest, it sounded like a Honda on track, not a Subaru.

What about converting the jdm to single scroll? I know this is sacrilege to some people but may solve your dilemma (plus you could upgrade to an SC/MD etc for some extra oomph)
its all about the noise (unequal length headers) the TS set up is great, very responsive in comparison. Yet the Bug (literally) makes all the right noises! So emotive I guess. Think for me it’s not a Scoob without the sound track. I know it’s simple to just say something like “A 410bhp Bug is going to thrill like a 370bhp JDM (for example) but the JDM makes the wrong noise in my opinion 😥.
Old 09 March 2018, 09:32 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

You’ve already found the solution - have both.

I have an old school 1993 WRX with no cats, no mid resonator and a Cobra Race back box. Rumble, pop and bang heaven.

....and a Hawkeye Spec C RA that’s twin scroll, equal length headered, fully catted up and rather quiet... hmmm
Old 09 March 2018, 09:57 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Jdm hatch is awesome
Old 10 March 2018, 05:23 AM
LUCIFER ARAI
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the burble noise is pretty cool
BUT the jdm equal length headers are all about power delivery and the smoothness of extracting the exhaust gases which make it a more efficient and effective option

Put a blitz nur spec on the jdm

Or you could put FAWORS mum under your hood she burbles a lot and farts and bangs really bad too according to brownpants
Old 10 March 2018, 05:25 AM
LUCIFER ARAI
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Jdm hatch is awesome
They certainly are when not owned by a total utter tool init blaud ....
Old 10 March 2018, 06:34 AM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Must be me but I love the sound of my Hawk Spec C
Old 10 March 2018, 09:48 AM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
You’ve already found the solution - have both.

I have an old school 1993 WRX with no cats, no mid resonator and a Cobra Race back box. Rumble, pop and bang heaven.

....and a Hawkeye Spec C RA that’s twin scroll, equal length headered, fully catted up and rather quiet... hmmm
This............

I find that i use the one with the "burble" for local journeys just for the fun of it, to the annoyance of others.

The TS we use for longer journeys it feel more refined plus you can hear the radio. plus your not so droned out by the noise, as it can get tiring over time.
Old 10 March 2018, 10:17 AM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ray54
This............

I find that i use the one with the "burble" for local journeys just for the fun of it, to the annoyance of others.

The TS we use for longer journeys it feel more refined plus you can hear the radio. plus your not so droned out by the noise, as it can get tiring over time.
I'm starting to come to the conclusion the JDM is to refined, I need/want a bit of burble savagery, all noise and pantomime. Sadly though that means I will now swap from tuning the JDM to tuning the Bug (further). Again not a bad situation to be in but when does it end😂!!!!

The Bug is now going back to the top of the priority list and that’s going to get expensive! It really can’t have much more done to it engine wise without going 2.1, 2.35 and then I’m back at silly money.

Really considering selling both and being done with it & get a S202, mildly tune that & call it a day. Has anyone seen or know any info on the white S202 at Hursts please?
Old 10 March 2018, 10:30 AM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved the burble of my old UK blobeye at most of the rev range but the milltek on my spec c makes all the right noises at 8k!
maybe a remap with some targeted overfueling might give you some pops and bangs for some more raucousness?
Old 10 March 2018, 12:38 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Buy a UK car instead for noise. Performance over noise for JDM.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 10 March 2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10 March 2018, 04:37 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Slightly off topic i know, but did anyone use lolly sticks in their spokes to make in sound like a Ducati!!!

modern aquivalent.

Any one got a vid of the sound a Blitz nur spec sounds on a JDM.
Old 11 March 2018, 08:35 PM
Jay kay
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard a twinscroll decatted and with a straight through pipe, its sounds loads better and some of the Subaru rumble can actually be heard. Not so good if you get a roadside stop but more like what you're after
Old 12 March 2018, 07:06 AM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by R666ORY+1

Has anyone seen or know any info on the white S202 at Hursts please?

I do know it hilariously overpriced, just sat there waiting for some gullible mug to come along...
Old 12 March 2018, 09:29 AM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike74
I do know it hilariously overpriced, just sat there waiting for some gullible mug to come along...
Not sure your right ref the S202 Mike. If you consider it’s price new, current mileage and rarity. Just look at P1 prices. A car is worth what someone will pay clearly. But the right cars do well! For example I have bought, then sold a phase 2 V6 Clio and a Megane R26R. Both for more than the purchase price new! The V6 is now worth more than their price new, Megane is going as at new prices. But that’s off topic, an S202 is possibly a very good solution to my dilemma. As with all these things everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Old 12 March 2018, 09:30 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Spec C hatch is way too quiet , and quite drones at 70 with an sti back box, so I am torn between the weight saving of a straight titanium exhaust , or a quieter, but heavier, steel twin exit. Certainly wouldn't go back to single scroll, but definitely need more noise, so understand your dilemma.
Old 12 March 2018, 10:29 AM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Not sure your right ref the S202 Mike. If you consider it’s price new, current mileage and rarity. Just look at P1 prices. A car is worth what someone will pay clearly. But the right cars do well! For example I have bought, then sold a phase 2 V6 Clio and a Megane R26R. Both for more than the purchase price new! The V6 is now worth more than their price new, Megane is going as at new prices. But that’s off topic, an S202 is possibly a very good solution to my dilemma. As with all these things everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Sell, p/ex the bug against the s202, keep the JDM Blob......and you,re in Eutopia.... lucky bug*er .

Whatever you decide enjoy.......
Old 12 March 2018, 10:37 AM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Well the last one Hurst had (blue one last year, similar mileage and condition IIRC) @£14k, only 2 years ago you could pick up comparable examples for @£12k.

If you're willing to pay 30-50% more for something than it was worth only 1-2 years ago then at least accept that you're getting suckered into paying asset price bubble prices and there's no guarantee that that value is going continue rising exponentially forever and ever.

If you've got the cash money and aren't worried about future value then go ahead, fantastic car.
Old 12 March 2018, 10:38 AM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Spec C hatch is way too quiet , and quite drones at 70 with an sti back box, so I am torn between the weight saving of a straight titanium exhaust , or a quieter, but heavier, steel twin exit. Certainly wouldn't go back to single scroll, but definitely need more noise, so understand your dilemma.
Hedge,

What other Scoobs have you owned? Think a few over the years if memory serves me correct. What was the best all rounder? For a newage to be raw it needs be light hence me thinking S202. To have a newer car than that and compare I think it would be another lightweight, fully factory modded version like a Spec C RA variant. It will take years but the Prodrive Bugs will be worth a bit. Bugs had a limited run anyway, the Prodrive even more limited. I’m by no means suggesting they will be the next 22B or anything like that but it is worth keeping hold of and is a pleasure to own and drive. But the JDMs are the better cars. I know I’m talking myself round in circles here! What I’m getting at is chucking money at the Bug is possibly misguided.
Old 12 March 2018, 10:47 AM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike74
Well the last one Hurst had (blue one last year, similar mileage and condition IIRC) @£14k, only 2 years ago you could pick up comparable examples for @£12k.

If you're willing to pay 30-50% more for something than it was worth only 1-2 years ago then at least accept that you're getting suckered into paying asset price bubble prices and there's no guarantee that that value is going continue rising exponentially forever and ever.

If you've got the cash money and aren't worried about future value then go ahead, fantastic car.
Mike,

I know what your saying is correct to some extent but it doesn’t always work out that way. Plus if I was to buy an S202 I’d be buying it as a forever car, so in the big scheme of things it wouldn’t really matter say 20 years from now. But I’d bet in 20 years time it would sell for more than I bought it for. Going off topic slightly look at the car market in general, there is a real chance that petrol, high powered, performance cars are all likely to a collectible, tradable commodity in years to come.
Old 12 March 2018, 05:13 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Fair enough if you're buying it as a forever car and you can afford it.

As you say, it's all about opinions and attitudes... even though I could afford to go out and buy that particular s202 tomorrow (or any of other cars you've mentioned) I'm simply not prepared to pay such inflated bubbletastic prices for them.
Maybe it's just stubborn pride but I'd just feel like I was being bent over, lubed up and taken for a mug

Personally I get more pleasure and satisfaction on spending my spare cash on other things or even putting it towards retiring early rather than spending it on a car that I'm likely to get bored of and want to change after 2-3 years.

I still disagree that the current price inflation we're seeing for Imprezas and just about all other cars that can even vaguely be described as ''performance/classic/exotic'' isn't 'normal' and it's all to do with an asset price bubble fuelled by cheap credit and lack of returns on savings, a credit cycle that indications suggest is coming to an end.
Old 12 March 2018, 08:24 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Fit an unsilenced H&S system to the JDM...the raw fury of which will have you forgetting the burble instantly. I’ve tried alternatives and nothing comes close on a JDM.
Old 12 March 2018, 08:38 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

The price increase of jdms over 2 years reflects the exchange rate more than anything; if you want one you got to pay more
Old 12 March 2018, 10:23 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
The price increase of jdms over 2 years reflects the exchange rate more than anything; if you want one you got to pay more
Not aimed at Hedge,

I would buy into the idea that inflated prices are being paid for vehicles due to easy credit etc etc etc, but for one fact. Rare, collectible, interesting history vehicles have always made good money! I feel I bought my JDM at a steal (not going into spec and price). The seller wanted a hassle free sale, he got one. I got in return a great car! We actually have cars now exported from Japan to the U.K. being sent back to Japan! Good cars are good cars and fans will still buy them no matter. Without sounding like a broken record but Renault struggled to sell all the U.K. allocation of the Megane R26R! I bought (allegedly) the last one to come into the U.K. all the extras, cage, Ti exhaust etc etc etc. They now sell at more than I paid. So you can buy a car new. Put 30+ thousand miles on it (minimum). Then sell it on for more than you paid!?!?! That car is not a Jap, not an old car, and not popular! Yet now selling/owning one is the polar opposite of everyone’s predictions. Anyway think the mods should possibly move this(?). It’s hugely going off topic 😂. If anyone would let me drive their S202 or something that is still the best of both worlds then let me know please. I’d love to solve my own problem! 😂. All the U.K. burble, yet all the JDM perks.