Spec C prices

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2017, 05:55 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec C prices

Looking for a Spec C but prices recently seem to be a bit all over the place
What sort of money would you be paying for a standardish hawkeye with low to reasonable mileage?
There's an RA with most of the original bits stripped off on eBay atm for 20k? Really?
Old 31 December 2017, 06:36 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Spec C and Spec C RA are very different cars. An RA is worth several £k more, although the one on eBay has been spoiled somewhat. Don’t see him getting £20k any time soon.
Old 31 December 2017, 06:46 PM
Rab555
Scooby Regular

Was lucky to find mine, although it’s not a Hawkeye I still paid a fair bit, prices are getting up there now

​​​​​​​
Old 31 December 2017, 08:12 PM
leeroywrx
Scooby Regular

It’s my Spec c type RA on eBay.Ive been offered £18500 this week which I’ve declined.The car has been looked after by scoobyclinic and they commented its the cleanest Impreza they have seen.The wheels were changed as it came into the country with blue “ fast and furious “ alloys.The shock absorbers were also changed in Japan.I have the other standard parts for the car like the ecu/air box etc.Everyones entitled to their opinion but I don’t agree that it’s been spoilt.
Old 31 December 2017, 08:20 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Spec C and Spec C RA are very different cars. An RA is worth several £k more, although the one on eBay has been spoiled somewhat. Don’t see him getting £20k any time soon.
In what way do you think the car has been spoiled.
Old 31 December 2017, 09:03 PM
Dan1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very different? Not really.
There is way more difference between a regular STI and a Spec-C than there is between a Spec-C and a Spec-C RA.

The type RA has the carbon fibre rear wing, 4-way adjustable STI suspension and a different set of alloys compared to a regular Spec-C, and that's it.

What makes it so special is plain and simple the limited run of only 300 units. Anything that only comes in limited quantities is naturally valued higher.
Having said that, 20k does sound reasonable to me.
Old 31 December 2017, 11:47 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan1
There is way more difference between a regular STI and a Spec-C than there is between a Spec-C and a Spec-C RA.

The type RA has the carbon fibre rear wing, 4-way adjustable STI suspension and a different set of alloys compared to a regular Spec-C, and that's it.

What makes it so special is plain and simple the limited run of only 300 units. Anything that only comes in limited quantities is naturally valued higher.
Wrong car. You’re talking about a Blobeye, not Hawkeye.
Old 31 December 2017, 11:52 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johned
In what way do you think the car has been spoiled.
Replacement ECU and Tein suspension. Needs the pukka STI suspension to hold value IMO
Old 01 January 2018, 12:08 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

+ all pillowball trailing arms and lateral links.
Retrofitting all the above to a Spec C would cost ££££
Old 01 January 2018, 01:23 AM
Dan1
Scooby Regular

Wrong car. You’re talking about a Blobeye, not Hawkeye.
You're right, the blobeye type RA pics in the 3rd post threw me off.
So minus the carbon fibre rear wing and plus STI trailing arms and lateral links, and I believe 350 units total iirc for the Hawk.

Originally Posted by fpan
+ all pillowball trailing arms and lateral links.
Retrofitting all the above to a Spec C would cost ££££
True for Hawk RA, Blob RA however only had std trailing arms and laterals as found on STI / Spec-C.
Old 01 January 2018, 09:39 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

You're right, the blobeye type RA pics in the 3rd post threw me off.
So minus the carbon fibre rear wing and plus STI trailing arms and lateral links, and I believe 350 units total iirc for the Hawk.

True for Hawk RA, Blob RA however only had std trailing arms and laterals as found on STI / Spec-C.
You learn something new every day, cheers!
Old 01 January 2018, 11:00 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Replacement ECU and Tein suspension. Needs the pukka STI suspension to hold value IMO
Shocking that Tein's could end up on a Spec C
Old 02 January 2018, 10:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotFromSomerset
Looking for a Spec C but prices recently seem to be a bit all over the place
What sort of money would you be paying for a standardish hawkeye with low to reasonable mileage?
There's an RA with most of the original bits stripped off on eBay atm for 20k? Really?
OP, if you want something totally different that will hold its value then look at the S203/S204 models (there is an originaland unspoilt S203 for sale on ebay).
The mechanical differences between the Spec C and post MY05 JDM cars is very little, they share the same geometry and larger ported engines (MY03/04 cars didnt), and an S series car is rare as rocking horse poo. Worth looking at.
Old 02 January 2018, 11:21 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
OP, if you want something totally different that will hold its value then look at the S203/S204 models (there is an originaland unspoilt S203 for sale on ebay).
The mechanical differences between the Spec C and post MY05 JDM cars is very little, they share the same geometry and larger ported engines (MY03/04 cars didnt), and an S series car is rare as rocking horse poo. Worth looking at.
My heart was originally set on an S204 but I think I would always have a feeling I should have had the spec C for the superior weight and chassis. The spec c is the ultimate for me. Also I don't think I'd fit in those tiny Jap seats!!
Old 03 January 2018, 07:02 AM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I didn’t think I would come back to Subaru’s and had been looking at Evo 8 & 9’s until a Hawk Spec C popped up and changed my mind
Old 03 January 2018, 03:25 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anger
I didn’t think I would come back to Subaru’s and had been looking at Evo 8 & 9’s until a Hawk Spec C popped up and changed my mind
Have to say an evo IX RS or GT would be a tempting proposition.....
Old 03 January 2018, 04:19 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a modded Evo 8 MR in Grey a few years ago, was a great car and shouldn’t really have sold it
Old 03 January 2018, 05:35 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

My heart was originally set on an S204 but I think I would always have a feeling I should have had the spec C for the superior weight and chassis. The spec c is the ultimate for me. Also I don't think I'd fit in those tiny Jap seats!!
The Spec C may be lighter but the S car has the superior chassis and all STi chassis upgrades (e.g. STi pink 4-way adjustable shocks, pillow ball lateral links & trailing arms etc.)
Old 03 January 2018, 05:37 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

The Spec C may be lighter but the S car has the superior chassis and all STi chassis upgrades (e.g. STi pink 4-way adjustable shocks, pillow ball lateral links & trailing arms etc.)
I don't believe it has the reinforced strut towers, extra seam and chassis welding and strengthening though as it's based on the JDM as opposed to spec c?
Trailing arms etc can be upgraded/replaced
Old 03 January 2018, 05:45 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

I don't believe it has the reinforced strut towers, extra seam and chassis welding and strengthening though as it's based on the JDM as opposed to spec c?
Trailing arms etc can be upgraded/replaced
I am not sure on that but for a road and occasional track car I prefer the S car unless you are going to rally it.

You will feel more the suspension upgrades rather than the chassis welding etc. but that's just my opinion .
Old 03 January 2018, 06:27 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Hawkeye Spec C RA has all of that though, with all of the lightweight benefits too

I wouldn’t have an Evo 9 GT over my RA, as it’s not ‘special’ enough - only an MR 360 would tempt me.... HKS edition 360 in red for me please!!
Old 03 January 2018, 07:28 PM
Rab555
Scooby Regular

I may be wrong, but I’m sure the Ra cars are smaller in numbers that the S models?
Old 03 January 2018, 07:32 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

I am not sure on that but for a road and occasional track car I prefer the S car unless you are going to rally it.

You will feel more the suspension upgrades rather than the chassis welding etc. but that's just my opinion .
Tbf it would be worth it just for those BBS
Old 03 January 2018, 08:33 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rab555
I may be wrong, but I’m sure the Ra cars are smaller in numbers that the S models?
Yup, nearly twice as many.

555 S203 vs 300 Blobeye RA
600 S204 vs 350 Hawkeye RA
Old 04 January 2018, 11:38 AM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

I don't suppose anyone has been keeping their eyes on Jap auction prices recently? I know the Yen is terrible atm but would i be likely to get more car for the money? What could I expect for say £16k on the road in UK?
Old 04 January 2018, 02:04 PM
wrx_driver
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't suppose anyone has been keeping their eyes on Jap auction prices recently? I know the Yen is terrible atm but would i be likely to get more car for the money? What could I expect for say £16k on the road in UK?
http://www.type-ra.com/subaru-forum/...uction-spy.95/
Old 04 January 2018, 02:13 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

comon as muck, what does that make my STI ltd worth being 1 of 25?
Old 05 January 2018, 05:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I've owned 2 Spec C's, but if it were between a Spec C and an S car, the S car wins hands down.
Its easier to live with, more power out of the box, all the goodies, comfier, rarer (yes they are, only about 3 S203's in the UK and about as many S204's), hold their price better (just look at the S202's now, going up in value), and generally far better equipped (carbon fibre Recaro's anybody? a mere 2.5k each!!).

Seam welding and strengthened suspension turrets, absolutely wont notice that on the road, its for rallying, mainly the Grp N cars as they get a bit of abuse on the rough stages, it can be done with a standard shell (Prodrive used the GL/KL's in 2003/04 instead of the Spec C's) for rallying.

Also, if you are buying a limited edition car, don't touch one that has been modified and does not have the parts to put it back to standard, it won't keep its value.
Old 05 January 2018, 07:31 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
I've owned 2 Spec C's, but if it were between a Spec C and an S car, the S car wins hands down.
Its easier to live with, more power out of the box, all the goodies, comfier, rarer (yes they are, only about 3 S203's in the UK and about as many S204's), hold their price better (just look at the S202's now, going up in value), and generally far better equipped (carbon fibre Recaro's anybody? a mere 2.5k each!!).

Seam welding and strengthened suspension turrets, absolutely wont notice that on the road, its for rallying, mainly the Grp N cars as they get a bit of abuse on the rough stages, it can be done with a standard shell (Prodrive used the GL/KL's in 2003/04 instead of the Spec C's) for rallying.

Also, if you are buying a limited edition car, don't touch one that has been modified and does not have the parts to put it back to standard, it won't keep its value.
BUT....

Imprezas are desireable for their links to rallying and rawness, not for being easier to live with and being ‘comfy’. The S202 was more hardcore than the 203/204 was it not?

I think you’re showing your age Tony

The S cars seem to take far longer to sell than the Spec C & RA - just look how long it took to sell that S203 last time despite being only about £15k.
Old 05 January 2018, 09:09 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

BUT....

Imprezas are desireable for their links to rallying and rawness, not for being easier to live with and being ‘comfy’. The S202 was more hardcore than the 203/204 was it not?

I think you’re showing your age Tony

The S cars seem to take far longer to sell than the Spec C & RA - just look how long it took to sell that S203 last time despite being only about £15k.
Yeh nearlly bought it, it looks a great car but a spec c ra come up at the same time think i made the right choice with the ra 😀

Quick Reply: Spec C prices