ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hawk STI 2.5L Forged or 2.0L JDM?

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2018, 12:12 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Peedee
Ive owned a fair few Imprezas now, both twin and single scroll. It’s a tough one. However, for me personally, it’s the single scroll setup that wins. I prefer the sound and the power delivery. Yes, the twinscroll setup is more linear and spools earlier, but for normal driving on UK roads, especially motorways, the single scroll / UK ratios is a better setup. Especially with the 2.5, you can sit on the motorway off boost and chilled....you can’t do that in a JDM, it’s always pulling at the leash. That’s fine for a Sunday blast / on the track etc, but for a normal journey, I found it irritating.

Haaaaa *** keep changing gear at 5650 out of puff whilst I’ll be 8king like a king
Old 28 January 2018, 12:52 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forged 2.5's still break because of the issues with the base engine, and it costs a fortune to get it to the standard of a twin scroll car.

Twin scroll is the better all round car, daily, fun and track monster, it does the lot, 2,5's are laggy in comparison, a JDM twinscroll will pull (and I mean pull) from below 1500rpm, you need to be 2.5-3k on a 2.5 for that, its not as nice to drive, and yes you get uneven manifolds on the 2.5's but unless you start changing exhausts then you get no extra sound difference, the twinscroll sounds more rally car and has a nicer overall sound.

Twin scroll wins this one hands down, peak torque figures are just that, peak, you want linear torque and from low down, one reason you get even length manifolds on the twinscrolls.
Old 28 January 2018, 09:01 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is sometimes 'better' is not always what is preferred
Old 28 January 2018, 09:39 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As I was once told, and have seated in a car of this spec, a 2.5 Twin Scroll ticks all those boxes. Low down power delivery with the extra 500cc over the jdm lump pulls hard.

That said it is down to individual preference. I’ve never owned a twin scroll with Eq L headers, but the sound on full chat from the road side view really does sound nice, just not the traditional Subaru resembled noise.

Going back to original question, Depending on the budget for a Hawk, I’d chose the Spec C and look at a 2.1 option.. great base car
Old 28 January 2018, 12:49 PM
stiMIGHTYsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jdm everyday for me too. Factor forged over a garage build any day.
Old 28 January 2018, 01:32 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
A Renault kangoo is quicker than mine at the moment mate
I know Raggy , that’s why I said it ( dark humour lol
Old 28 January 2018, 03:15 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

a jdm may rev to 8k or so but it’s not really in its power band there , i would go with the 2.5 longer gears for motorway driving better fuel economy and not high revving all the time compared to jdm shorter ratios , the plus with the 2 litre jdm is its fun going from not much power to a bit mental , the torque on the 2.5 is a big plus , my jdm sti wagon with more bhp than my fsti , the fsti beats the jdm wagon easily off the line and the fsti appears quicker in a straight line , both cars fun to drive in different ways , best thing is test drive both as it’s cones down to what you want
Old 28 January 2018, 05:45 PM
scoobiepaul
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Rob Day
2.5 forged with a twin scroll setup? Best of both worlds!
Not fully forged or mega power, but my T25 Litchfield is a
lovely car to drive with the extra torque, and linear acceleration, I would chose this over my previous car a 2.0 litre sti jdm bug: sound wise I slightly prefer the bug but T25 sounds like a motorbike in the higher rev range, think it can rev to 8000rpm but bit pointless tbh.

Last edited by scoobiepaul; 31 January 2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 28 January 2018, 05:56 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobiepaul
Not fully forged or mega power, but my T25 Litchfield is a
lovely car to drive with the extra torque, and linear acceleration, I would chose this over my previous car a 2.0 litre sti jdm bug: sound wise I slightly prefer the bug but T25 sounds a like a motorbike in the higher rev range, think it can rev to 8000rpm but bit pointless tbh.
What power and year is yours Paul?
Old 28 January 2018, 06:12 PM
scoobiepaul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
What power and year is yours Paul?
Standard car mate, 358bhp and 390 torque... or it was a few years back. LOL. 2003 Spec C limited.

Last edited by scoobiepaul; 28 January 2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 28 January 2018, 06:48 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobiepaul
Standard car mate, 358bhp and 390 torque... or it was a few year back. LOL. 2003 Spec C limited.
Shucks, a standard car

Nice

So between 1310 and 1350kg's and ~360/390... keep it!
Old 28 January 2018, 06:52 PM
scoobiepaul
Scooby Regular

Shucks, a standard car

Nice

So between 1310 and 1350kg's and ~360/390... keep it!
1270kg on the log book (Spec C) 62k miles but has had 9 owners.

Last edited by scoobiepaul; 28 January 2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 30 January 2018, 07:39 PM
Royboy74
Scooby Regular

I’ve had 5 scoobies uk & imports I now have an 07 sti hawk best I’ve had by a mile what a machine
2.0 JDM all day for me you can’t beat having piece of mind & bullet proof reliability
👌
Old 31 January 2018, 12:07 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by stiMIGHTYsti
Jdm everyday for me too. Factor forged over a garage build any day.
I would rather someone I choose meticulously build my engine as apposed to a Subaru employee with possibly limited experience dropping in x amount of pistons each day..... blame my opinion or thought process but let’s face it subaru don’t really care how long their engines last.

Originally Posted by Royboy74
I’ve had 5 scoobies uk & imports I now have an 07 sti hawk best I’ve had by a mile what a machine
2.0 JDM all day for me you can’t beat having piece of mind & bullet proof reliability
��
With that amount of subaru’s Under your belt you are no doubt aware that plenty of jdm spec 2.0 boxer engines have been rebuilt.
Forgive me for saying and I’m not trying to pi$$ on your parade in any way but unfortunately ‘bullet proof’ they are not.

If I were in the market to buy I would be looking at built motors only, do my research with the said builder and check modifications and mapping history since build.
I guess I look at things differently after forking out for engine and gearbox rebuilds on my car but some of these imported cars are asking big money for 90-100k cars, personally I would run a mile, as I’ve said before I don’t doubt they are good cars but mechanically they a approaching the end of their lives and Big money will need to be spent.

Siv

Last edited by sivo; 31 January 2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 31 January 2018, 01:52 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sivo
I would rather someone I choose meticulously build my engine as apposed to a Subaru employee with possibly limited experience dropping in x amount of pistons each day..... blame my opinion or thought process but let’s face it subaru don’t really care how long their engines last.

With that amount of subaru’s Under your belt you are no doubt aware that plenty of jdm spec 2.0 boxer engines have been rebuilt.
Forgive me for saying and I’m not trying to pi$$ on your parade in any way but unfortunately ‘bullet proof’ they are not.

If I were in the market to buy I would be looking at built motors only, do my research with the said builder and check modifications and mapping history since build.
I guess I look at things differently after forking out for engine and gearbox rebuilds on my car but some of these imported cars are asking big money for 90-100k cars, personally I would run a mile, as I’ve said before I don’t doubt they are good cars but mechanically they a approaching the end of their lives and Big money will need to be spent.

Siv
90-100k on a UK engine is also in the ball park for major repairs, so your response is very subjective. I too have had numerous Subaru's (and others cars), both UK and JDM. I would not buy another UK spec car.

People forget that the GC and GD Chassis cars for the UK were cheap because all the expensive bits had been taken off.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 31 January 2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 31 January 2018, 02:36 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
90-100k on a UK engine is also in the ball park for major repairs, so your response is very subjective. I too have had numerous Subaru's (and others cars), both UK and JDM. I would not buy another UK spec car.

People forget that the GC and GD Chassis cars for the UK were cheap because all the expensive bits had been taken off.
Subjective, of course.
I have learned a lot over the years from different builders and tuners, I have taken all the positives and think I have ended up with a decent spec car.
The Jdm 2.0 is without doubt the most reliable boxer engine built by Subaru.
The point I’m trying to make is it would be unfair of us to lead new buyers into the misconception of a 2.0 jdm engine being bullet proof.
By its nature and all the variables involved it just isn’t.

Siv
Old 31 January 2018, 02:48 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Even forged, there is no such thing as a bullet proof engine. And I agree with what you have said.
Old 31 January 2018, 03:00 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Even forged, there is no such thing as a bullet proof engine.
100 % agree with you
Old 31 January 2018, 03:10 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Jdm can take some savage abuse
Old 31 January 2018, 03:16 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Animal

Old 31 January 2018, 09:01 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Can you substantiate that? For example post threads from people whose 2.0 JDMs have needed rebuilding. (2.5 threads very easy to find of course.)

Not trying to be argumentative - just think it's a strong claim to say that lots of JDM engines have been rebuilt and that a 90k JDM car is ending its useful life. I'm certainly prepared to change my mind if the evidence is there.
Old 31 January 2018, 09:11 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

If you're talking classic 2.0 JDM then yes, bottom ends were as common as the 2.5's ring land/HG failing.

But you really don't hear of many new age 2.0 going pop, and it's fair to say are very reliable, even on bigish power

just to bring the balance back up a bit for the 2l
Old 31 January 2018, 09:26 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by plenty
Can you substantiate that? For example post threads from people whose 2.0 JDMs have needed rebuilding. (2.5 threads very easy to find of course.)

Not trying to be argumentative - just think it's a strong claim to say that lots of JDM engines have been rebuilt and that a 90k JDM car is ending its useful life. I'm certainly prepared to change my mind if the evidence is there.
I can’t post threads sorry, and I’m not trying to change your mind.
All I’m doing is expressing an opinion on an open Internet forum.

Can you prove that a jdm 2.0 will not suffer engine failure ?

So you think a jdm Impreza at 95k would be nearer to the start of its life than the end of its life ?

And, with all due respect, I’m not trying to be argumentative.

Siv
Old 31 January 2018, 09:29 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

If you're talking classic 2.0 JDM then yes, bottom ends were as common as the 2.5's ring land/HG failing.
Old 31 January 2018, 09:32 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

The Jdm 2.0 is without doubt the most reliable boxer engine built by Subaru.
The point I’m trying to make is it would be unfair of us to lead new buyers into the misconception of a 2.0 jdm engine being bullet proof.
By its nature and all the variables involved it just isn’t...

Siv
Old 31 January 2018, 09:36 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

go Raggy

And shout for more
Old 31 January 2018, 09:42 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

I'm certainly prepared to change my mind if the evidence is there.

But you really don't hear of many new age 2.0 going pop
Like I said, and the point I was making, the jdm 2.0 is the most reliable but most definitely not bullet proof.

Siv
Old 31 January 2018, 10:46 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I can’t post threads sorry, and I’m not trying to change your mind.
All I’m doing is expressing an opinion on an open Internet forum.

Can you prove that a jdm 2.0 will not suffer engine failure ?

So you think a jdm Impreza at 95k would be nearer to the start of its life than the end of its life ?
:
So "plenty of jdm spec 2.0 boxer engines have been rebuilt" is simply an "opinion"?

I'm pretty confident in my own claim that a JDM 2.0 (bug onwards) is likely to be a safer bet at 95k than any 2.5, built or not. This is supported by having owned two of them (as well as non JDM cars), having read up considerably on the topic and noted numerous cases of bottom end failure on the EJ25, but relatively few among newage JDM EJ20 cars (or indeed UK newage 2.0 cars).

I have no problem with opinions, but misinformation deserves correcting...including my own if it's me who's mis-informed
Old 31 January 2018, 11:58 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

So "plenty of jdm spec 2.0 boxer engines have been rebuilt" is simply an "opinion"?

I'm pretty confident in my own claim that a JDM 2.0 (bug onwards) is likely to be a safer bet at 95k than any 2.5, built or not. This is supported by having owned two of them (as well as non JDM cars), having read up considerably on the topic and noted numerous cases of bottom end failure on the EJ25, but relatively few among newage JDM EJ20 cars (or indeed UK newage 2.0 cars).

I have no problem with opinions, but misinformation deserves correcting...including my own if it's me who's mis-informed
in my 15 or so years of owning many many Subarus iv had more 2.0 engines fail than 2.5's , not sure if thats down to how they have been previously treated but its just what iv had with my own experience
Old 01 February 2018, 12:10 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by domino46
in my 15 or so years of owning many many Subarus iv had more 2.0 engines fail than 2.5's , not sure if thats down to how they have been previously treated but its just what iv had with my own experience
What ratio and models?

Quick Reply: Hawk STI 2.5L Forged or 2.0L JDM?