New WRX Owner

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2018, 10:01 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default New WRX Owner

Hi all,

Just registered as me and the Mrs have just bought our first Scooby, our old car started to die and it took absolutely no convincing whatsoever to settle on a Scooby, I actually think she wanted it more than I did, god I love her, anyway, we have a 2002 WRX now and are absolutely loving it, best "family car" we have ever had haha.

For its age there are very few issues with the car, mechanically it is absolutely spot on, starts first time, no knocks, leaks, smoke, it pulls and drives like it should, gears are smooth etc, the clutch is quite sharp and requires a bit of a lead foot as do the brakes but I think that's just because I'm used to driving an old golf and I'm not accustomed to it yet. It has a few dints and scrapes which I'm looking at getting sorted and a few other issues I'm about to get to but besides that it is absolutely brilliant.

The issues I have are these,

Central locking does not work, at all, using the key in the drivers door does not lock or unlock all doors. I have checked the fuse under the sigma keypad and all is fine, I haven't checked under the bonnet because upon checking the fuse I discovered the sigma keypad isn't even connected, this made me realise no fob was supplied with the car when I bought it so I am now assuming the sigma has been disabled/removed as this has been lost. Am I right in thinking the central locking is ran through the sigma?

If so move on to my next issue. If not what I have noticed is the front passenger door has to be either locked by key, or by the switch when the door is closed, flipping the switch to lock and then closing the door unlocks it again, could this be related or cause the central locking to fail? Other than that could it just be a fuse under the bonnet if it isn't related to the below issue?

The second issue is obviously the alarm, whether it's connected to the central locking or not I obviously want to sort it out. I could go aftermarket, but if I can replace the sigma myself I will. I understand this will require a new sigma brain with keyfobs, would the sigma keypad also need replacing (assuming I don't have to anyway because the one already there is broken) and if I did would I need to replace the immobiliser? I'm assuming not but I kind of recall someone somewhere saying they had to. My immobiliser still works, removing the key gives me 3 or 4 beeps so I don't really see why I would need to?

Finally there is quite a bit of play in the gearstick when in gear, it doesn't affect anything its just more of an annoyance that I'd rather sort out, where should I look for culprits and what would I be looking at to get it fixed?

Oh actually, does anyone know where I can get a second key with transponder and also programmed somewhere in the North West which won't cost me an absolute bomb?

When we decided it was definitely going to be this car I spent a week reading everything that mentioned a bugeye on here and many other sites for possible issues, what to watch out for and so on but I haven't found any answers for the above issues (apart from about the gearstick, I'm just being lazy with that one).
As there's other areas of the car and life in general that I could do with spending money on I'm looking at trying to sort this myself to be as cost effective as possible especially when I understand a proper Subaru garage would probably charge me more than I paid for the car lol. I'm no mechanic but I am proficient in both engineering and electronics so I'm sure I can manage with a little help.

If you think I'd be better off making a post in the technical section for each issue I will but otherwise I appreciate any assistance or advice, about my issues or anything else relating to owning the car, me and the Mrs plan on looking after this car and getting her (or him according to the Mrs so I guess that makes my car transgender, or schizophrenic, I'm not sure) back to full health to live a long happy life in our possession :-)

P. S - too bad this site doesn't work with Tapatalk btw, it's rather convenient is Tapatalk :-)
Old 23 January 2018, 10:47 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Hi and welcome. Try using garage talk app.

As regards sloppy gear stick, the easiest and cheapest thing to try is the gear linkage spring, if that doesn't work then gear linkage is most likely worn.

As for central locking you could get an after market system fitted that might sort that out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Im...8AAOSwyQtVoDt-
Old 23 January 2018, 11:32 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Welcome to the forum
Old 24 January 2018, 05:19 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Hi and welcome. Try using garage talk app.

As regards sloppy gear stick, the easiest and cheapest thing to try is the gear linkage spring, if that doesn't work then gear linkage is most likely worn.

As for central locking you could get an after market system fitted that might sort that out.
Thanks I'll look into that, so does that mean the central locking is linked to the sigma alarm?

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Welcome to the forum
Thanks, I plan on enjoying my stay :-D

Last edited by MrRtm; 24 January 2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 24 January 2018, 05:24 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

have you got a keyfob??
Old 24 January 2018, 07:07 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

No, just the key with lock and unlock on it, there is a sigma keypad to the right of the steering wheel but it is not connected, no wires are coming from the keypad