Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Buying A Cat C WRX?

Old 16 December 2017, 06:06 PM
SteveB123
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying A Cat C WRX?

Hey everyone new here and could do with a bit of advice.

I've been looking at buying a Scooby for a while now and finally (financially) am now able to do so - I say financially, still a bit limited haha.

I'd been looking for a while when I found one advertised not far from where I live, I got in touch with the owner and he wanted 4.9K for a 2.0 Prodrive WRX, 72K on the clock, leather seats etc. I currently have my own car up for sale and we agreed to do a swap deal + cash his way (3.5K). I did a background check on the car and it came up as being written off in 2010, insurance company deemed it repairable but that the damage was more than the cars value. The car had since been repaired that same year and cleared by Vosa. I asked the owner about this as it wasn't mentioned, he said he knew nothing of it (he didn't get the logbook when he bought it, but has since ordered a new one). He got in touch with the previous owner who told him that there was front end damage, needed a new bumper and a new bonnet. When the car was written off it was on 15K mileage, now on 72K so I'm ASSUMING the car is mechanically sound despite being a cat C.

Is there anything I should look out for specifically when I go to view it?

Thanks for any info.
Old 16 December 2017, 06:24 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

5 grand seems very expensive for a cat C WRX,What reg is it?
Old 16 December 2017, 06:27 PM
SteveB123
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
2004 mate.
Old 16 December 2017, 06:29 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avoid unless it’s super cheap. You’ll have difficulty selling it on - especially as the cars get cheaper. Also do you really know what the damage was and how good the repair is?
Old 16 December 2017, 06:31 PM
SteveB123
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Avoid unless it’s super cheap. You’ll have difficulty selling it on - especially as the cars get cheaper. Also do you really know what the damage was and how good the repair is?
Only know what he's told me and what he's been told mate. He was told it was front end, bumper/bonnet damage. Like I said this happened when it was on 15K mileage and it's now on 72K which I suppose on paper looks sound enough. As for the repair, again not sure mate. I think from when this happened until now it's swapped owners twice.
Old 16 December 2017, 06:44 PM
scoobypaul_temp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Here is the truth

I think you would be nuts to pay that money for a Cat C
Old 16 December 2017, 07:25 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Way too much for a cat c. Get a straight one for that money.
Also, it's a 2004 wrx that was written off in 2010 you say? With 15k miles on the clock.
That sounds questionable to me.
Have you looked up its mot history online? Should go back to 2006/7 so might give you some idea if mileage tallies.
Old 16 December 2017, 07:39 PM
SteveB123
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
Way too much for a cat c. Get a straight one for that money.
Also, it's a 2004 wrx that was written off in 2010 you say? With 15k miles on the clock.
That sounds questionable to me.
Have you looked up its mot history online? Should go back to 2006/7 so might give you some idea if mileage tallies.
yeah mate checked on Dvla and they have it down as about 15K or just over, done about 7K a year average more or or less
Old 16 December 2017, 07:43 PM
SteveB123
Scooby Newbie

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

J9 JKJ
Old 16 December 2017, 08:40 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to give us a try. The vast majority of our schemes have no issues with cat c or d write offs.
Thanks,
Dan.
Old 17 December 2017, 10:47 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

the thing that puts me off is how come he did not know it was a cat c ?? and why was it not declared to you , i smell a rat as they say , even if it was repaired by the book in the long term like it to be more prone to rust as it’s hard to get paint protection on as well as the factory can , does not mean you can’t buy the car but it should be much cheaper than normal
Old 17 December 2017, 03:11 PM
SteveB123
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
the thing that puts me off is how come he did not know it was a cat c ?? and why was it not declared to you , i smell a rat as they say , even if it was repaired by the book in the long term like it to be more prone to rust as it’s hard to get paint protection on as well as the factory can , does not mean you can’t buy the car but it should be much cheaper than normal
Wasn't declared to him as a Cat C when he bought it off previous owner and didn't come with log book.., admitted himself he never did a check on the car so I can only take that as his word, wouldn't be a first for me as I haven't checked every car I've had. He only got the log book last week due to sale so probably wasn't anything to say that it was a Cat C, probably never checked once he bought it.
Old 17 December 2017, 04:15 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

A Cat C will be on the V5C under special notes section.
Old 17 December 2017, 09:09 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Far too expensive for a CAT 'C' and the current owner 'didn't know' also sounds suspect !
Old 18 December 2017, 12:06 AM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone that buys a car without checking it needs their head testing. Theres enough free apps and info online to do a basic check on a car for free, so the I didnt know story also sounds like BS.

And as for the price, he's on crack, you can buy a perfectly legit one for that AND not have to px your current car.
Old 18 December 2017, 08:03 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to give us a try. The vast majority of our schemes have no issues with cat c or d write offs.
Thanks,
Dan.
Vultures.
Will you insure a Cat C at normal rates?
Thought not.
Old 18 December 2017, 08:09 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Old 18 December 2017, 08:34 PM
Caribe
Scooby Regular

I have purchased a CAT D car in the past (was an Alfa 156 JTD and it was proper cheap) and it was fine.

BUT i paid about 30% less than the other ones that were the same age and miles etc.

What i suppose hasnt been mentioned above is if the car has then had a fortune spent on it in aftermarket parts as that can add a premium.

If it is a bone stock blob WRX, then my feeling is that the money is a little bit too steep for it.

At the end of the day, if you like it and its the right car for you then get it.

:-)
Old 19 December 2017, 10:41 AM
iMook
Scooby Regular

£5K - I would walk away. You'll get a proper WRX for that kind of money
Old 19 December 2017, 11:37 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

5k is strong money for a none smashed up one, 2k car at most.
Old 19 December 2017, 09:24 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Tidgy
5k is strong money for a none smashed up one, 2k car at most.
What he said !
Old 19 December 2017, 11:25 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
what he said I had the same thing was going to swap my old car with this kid from up north millage was low and seemed a good price done a hpi turned out that was a cat d. Best advice sell your car a get one that hpi clear took me a year to find my sti but was worth the wait
Old 24 December 2017, 12:42 PM
drummog
Scooby Regular

A friend bought a CAT C MX5 with minor damage and he had the panels replaced and the paintwork done. Then it was a very nice car.

He never keeps a car long and he put it up for sale at £3,500 which as say £500 less than the cars on Autotrader same year same mileage but he advised it was a CAT C car and he only got one text'd offer of £1,500.

If it was me I would have kept the car 4 years and sold it on for say £1,000 once I had got my money out the car after those years.

If you may well have to get rid of the car in the near future you will maybe get £1,500 if you can find a buyer at all.
Old 25 December 2017, 11:09 AM
Caribe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hawkins 1995
what he said I had the same thing was going to swap my old car with this kid from up north millage was low and seemed a good price done a hpi turned out that was a cat d. Best advice sell your car a get one that hpi clear took me a year to find my sti but was worth the wait
I almost purchased an old Primera GT from a garage and I did a quick check and it was CAT C. Nothing mentioned and that was a proper garage.

Dealers HAVE to tell you if it was a write off. Private don't need to mention it from memory.

I had a car that on VCar as a car D (not recorded on V5) so some people will genuinely not know.

Others will and will try and get what they can.

But in this day and age where you can get a simple text check for a few quid there is no excuse.

I was about to buy an e46 m3 2 weeks ago... Did and HPI check and it came up to basically stay away.

Mileage didn't add up. It was showing finance and it was in import so couldn't track history from it.

But garage advertised it as having a private plate... No it's an Irish Plate. Also advertised it as a pampered car that's always garaged.. Well the previous owner only purchase it in August so how do you know that...

So just do your checks