ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Insurance Claims

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2017, 05:30 AM
J-Monsta
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance Claims

Howdy all, longtime forum browser, new member. Couldn't be posting under worse circumstances but i am looking for a few stories or tips anyone has. I own a 2010 Impreza 2.5 I Sport with the limited interior, all cosmetic mods no engine mods.

THE EVENT

Two weekends ago, me and the girl were out actually going to grab snow tires to throw on my scoobs for this winter, well before we even got out of town a guy driving a F-150 ran a red light. I seen him coming somehow, even though it was on the passenger side. I downshifted, goosed it, and turned away from him but he still managed to clip the rear end... i and the girl are just lucky it was not a t-bone which it seemed like it was going to be. Anyhow the fruit fly got out of his truck, my girl was busy doing what women do and yelling at him, i was busy checking out my car to see what exactly happened to it. Determined he just clipped the rear quarter behind the tire, the tire was not hit and still sitting straight. The rear bumper was completely broken off other then the drivers side pins connecting from the bumper to the rear quarter, also had a 3rd brake light installed in which the wires running down to it were also helping the bumper stay on. We had stopped just outside the intersection, and traffic was backing up and obviously going to create more of a problem. I then told "fruit fly" to pull his truck onto a side street about 100ft up and id follow, also key point i had a tow truck directly behind me during all this who was apparently my only witness in the end other then my girl.

So "fruit fly" pulls away were off shortly after, i'm driving as slow as possible as my bumpers dragging and my 3 week old rally armors are dragging... Get around the corner, "fruit fly" is no where to be seen, Tow truck still behind me. I then see "fruit fly" speeding down the next side street (he tried to run and hit a dead end and turned around LOL) me and the girl were out of the car at this point, i told the tow truck driver hes running and for some reason he goosed it and took off after him which i did not really expect. So yelled at the girl to get in the car, i proceeded to grab and finish ripping off the rear bumper and threw it onto a random lawn. Hopped in turned traction control off, told the girl to put her $@#^@%#$ seatbelt on and went full scoobs. Basically by the time i was rolling i was 3 cars back from the tow truck, and maybe 500ft from "fruit fly" which there was about 6-7 cars between me and him (keep in mind, this is literally 2 main streets away from my house so i know every street) There was a downhill almost instantly and i knew it, i peeked out and nothing was coming so stepped out and passed a few cars on the opposite side of the road (in front of a school) and was now behind the tow truck. "fruit fly" took a right turn onto a main drag, tow truck turned down a side street to try and cut him off, i followed "fruit fly". Apparently i beat the tow truck, which was a rather new GMC 3500 obviously weighed down by towing equipment at bit but still. At this point were entering another school zone yet again, "fruit fly" is about 300ft ahead with an ambulance directly in front of me and a van in front of them. Should also mention from the time we got into the car and into the "chase" my girl was on the phone with 911 dispatch explaining things. I kept peeking out on the ambulance but there was oncoming traffic, i then see "fruit fly" 200ft up at this point waiting at a red light. About 150ft away now he decides he gonna go right instead of wait, just so happens there is no oncoming traffic. I pull into oncoming traffic yet again, past the AMBULANCE! and van and am now taking the same right turn as the truck. I took the turn full scoobs and was literally kissing his bumper, read the plate off, got my solid description of the truck in (which included a decal on the rear window) he then as stupid as he clearly is stops at a red light as i am behind him. Dispatch is begging with my girl for us to stop chasing, i decided they are right we have enough information and we can identify the driver as my girl talked directly to him. So i pull up beside wave and send him the double whammy which i only pull out on special occasions and head back to the "crime scene". Were now back at the "crime scene" and our buddy tow truck driver pulls up. After he cleaned his underoos he could not help but say "%$@^!#!^% you were flying" and we ended up talking stuff as he decided to wait with me and the girl for the police to show up. Cool guy who gave me a tow company card and his name + personal number written on the back so i can easily get in touch. The rest of this is basic, cops show up we say this, witness says that, i get a police report number, reported to insurance yada yada.

THE FESTIVITES

I dropped my car off at a repair shop, and i called insurance every day, was getting absolutely nowhere. Ended up cop gave me the wrong number in which he wrote it down not me... had to go to the police station and get the complete report and number myself, at this point i'm like WTF? Send it off to insurance, and keep hounding them daily for info. I kept being left with were waiting for a report back from the other insurer. 12 days go by and i still dont have a rental, as i do not have rental coverage on my policy and they "cant put fault". Lost my beans on them, Day 13 comes and apparently bean spilling led to my car being moved from one shop to another (same shop name different location) and it had and estimate of 4 thousand and something. The shop seems cool and its connected directly to a ford dealership, they ask about a rental and i'm like nope still waiting budd... He hounds me to hound insurance until i have one, maybe 8 minutes later i was leaving the collision shop to go pickup my reserved rental at enterprise!!?? 30 minutes later i'm driving this rental car which is weird, Malibu hybrid with a turbo that's the only cool part.

Now back to car repairs, i go back to the shop and get the print out the what they want to do with my scoobs. My lovely insurance approved used parts which i might as well mention is brokered with OTIP, Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan and insured with Economical Select. Yes i work for the school board, and i would figure an insurance broker directly related to school board employees of all kinds / government employees would immediately take care of things. I was told and shown my insurance company has approved use of used parts, which consisted of 3. Rear bumper, tail light and the vent contained within the rear fender / bumper. I said nope and immediately called insurance saying i was not happy with the repairs or repair shop performing the type of repairs they want to. I know its not an STI and super super rare Bugatti Aerolithe but its my car, and its considered special edtion. I might also add its undercoated and has been oil sprayed since the day it was bought, for 7 years old its impressive #impreza there is no rust anywhere even under bumpers or fenders. You could put a catch pan under the engine, pour soup down it and eat it without hesitation. I payed top dollar for it, and it was the most expensive, lowest KM, limited version of this car for sale at the time.

I bought it with 147KM this spring, I replaced the clutch with kit (factory oem kit), resurfaced flywheel, timing belt kit (gates premium kit) and an Asian water pump (believed to be original oem), Power steering belt as well as AC belt (gates microV), Coolant flush and new coolant, plugs and wires with NGK double platinum and the NGK wire set aka the right stuff. I also installed brand new Lumens HID headlights (low beam) and fog lights, took black plasticrap off the rims and painted them proper black. Pioneer AVH headunit, Alpine SPS-610 x4 door speakers, Pioneer 1000W Amplifier + wiring kit, Axxess steering wheel control adapter + Headunit to car adapter, Amazon backup camera, changed transmission fluid, changed rear diff flud, cleaned intake / throttle body, converted most lights outside and inside to LED bulbs, and some engine bay painting myself are about all the mods i can think of at the moment...

THE REPAIRS

So insurance approved used parts, and to me its not my car. And in Ontario it costs you more to file a lawsuit and win for depreciation of your vehicle after repair unless your driving a Mercedes. Ontario law also states you have the choice where your car is repaired, insurance cannot force you and you have the right to fair service from any insurance company (the fact i know this i have dug deep thus far.) They value my car at 9,000. The write off point is past 75% in this case which would be 8400, the first and only estimate thus far was 4200 or so with used parts being installed. I contacted insurance and was directed to my adjusted of course who at this point has taken 13 days to get me a rental when i'm clearly not at fault. She reads off the policy of this other person claiming what it covers and that is the same as mine apparently a "basic repair". But a day earlier we could not identify valid insurance for this person, to my belief Economical owns the policy of this F-150 and this is costing them regardless and its trying to be resolved in the cheapest manner possible. I left a message with the repair shop specifically stating i am not happy with the repairs they want to do and they cannot move forward until they contact me personally.

The next day no response from the repair shop after a clear message, so i call insurance i planned to anyway, i finally got through to a claims supervisor. I said look this is what i need and he said the whole deal of we only cover this and the other policy only covers this, i just left him be to finish i knew it from earlier. I then stated to him exactly what was going to happen and my opinion on the matter. My car is my car, i did not buy it to sell it, i paid a "premium" for such a value of a car and to me its worth exactly what i paid for plus taxes if not more because i have done nothing but anything but improve the value. He eventually agrees and we settle of a value of 12,000 and change in which i paid, at this point i ask for the write off point of my car. He states is about 70% in this case which is about 8500 (keep in mind this is without all aftermarket parts that would be included in a write off, which would cost them much more.) I am actually part of a car club in my area, and i specifically wanted this vehicle. To me its kinda like collecting something, i have taken 400-500 pictures of it since i have purchased it. Yes its an unreal amount, but most would never see. Like installing mods or random shots of the car, the point is i gave enough to care about what i had like the previous owners. The car was in 9/10 condition, the -1 is because the front end like's to rub on the ground and the bumper has scrape marks... The rear end is 10/10 condition and it could not be replaced by any other vehicle in my area for sale.

At this point insurance will be contacting me monday yet again after this last debate this the supervisor. As i said i seen the estimate, it includes a used rear bumper, used tail light and used vent within the fender. To me and everyone else i am basically stuck with this vehicle at this point and will never get the resale value, would you not agree it should be repaired correctly with proper parts or am i crazy ? I will post an update, any suggestions, ideas or claims of your own ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2554.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	71290   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2519.JPG
Size:	4.20 MB
ID:	71291   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2196.JPG
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	71292   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1686.JPG
Size:	3.88 MB
ID:	71294  

Last edited by J-Monsta; 25 November 2017 at 05:48 AM.
Old 25 November 2017, 07:46 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Just advertise it full sccobs and youll be ok
Old 25 November 2017, 03:16 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Wow I started reading the post and thought this guy sounds American. Glad I was right lol. I'm struggling to workout where a fruit fly comes into the story?

What's T boning sounds dodgy lol

From what I get from this story, is insurance should give you OEM parts. Wouldn't settle for anything else. In UK insurance decide, they either pay you out full value of car or fix with new parts. Other option is they pay you out and you buy back the car as long as long as a cat C or D damage. Cat A and B can't be put back on road.
Old 25 November 2017, 05:23 PM
J-Monsta
Scooby Newbie

Haha, t-bone is a front end running square into the side of another vehicle. Basically front bumper to doors.

The fruit fly name came about to keep the story entertaining, as well as keep me jolly about writing it all out instead of getting frustrated with the circumstances.

For some reason insurance doesn't understand full scoobs. I believe they have categorized my car in the repairable category, it's just a matter of getting proper subaru parts to be put back on the car.
Old 25 November 2017, 05:30 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I think it's Canada? Does using 2nd hand parts mean you have basic, cheap insurance? That doesn't happen here, but repairers still cut corners.
Old 25 November 2017, 05:40 PM
J-Monsta
Scooby Newbie

Yes I would say I have the basic coverege in Canada. There is optional coverage for aftermarket parts, and I believe there is only a guarantee of new parts if the vehicle is less then 3 years old is what I keep being told.

The problem is, they value the car against other cars of the same. I've had to blatantly say no this is not another 2.5i sport, it's mine I paid this much for it and I bought it to drive it, take care of it and use it. I didn't buy it to sell it. It's showroom condition and I have literally hundreds of pictures inside and out since the day I bought it and can prove how clean and pristine the vehicle was.

​​​​​​That's my fight now, and it may work out as they are getting another estimate with new parts. It's a matter of how much more it's going to be, and if my insurance will say no we won't cover that. But they can't force me to have it repaired at a shop due to law, so how could they really say no when I could take my car elsewhere?